1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gauling?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dynasty, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dynasty

dynasty TS Member

I went and shot about 6 rounds by myself today. When I was donea dn started to clean my gun I noticed alittle line and a very very small hole on the face of the frame. It was there before just wandering if this is gauling? I thought that I had put enough grease on there. I know the picture isn't that great but maybe you can tell. Its in the bottom left hand side of the picture. If this is gauling, what can I do about it?

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

You're right, picture is not real great, but it does look like gauling. If it is and it is not deep into the metal, it can be buffed out. Show it to a competent gunsmith. I had Pat Laib clean one up for me that I had bought used that had some gauling. Couldn't stand to look at it even though it really wasn't hurting anything.

3. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I have limited knowledge in as to the cause of gauling, however it is my understanding that metal gauling is the transfer of metal between parts. Your picture seems to indicate normal polishing between the two surfaces. This is a normal process caused by the two surfaces mateing to each other.

Robert

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

If your gun is really hard to open and close, super tight, use oil instead of grease. The picture is not good enough to convince me it is galling but if it is, adding more and more grease could just make it harder to open and close and cause galling.....Bob Dodd

5. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

If it's real tight I would take it to a good smith and have it loosened up just a tad. Then keep it lubed well.

Jim

6. shootsome

shootsome Member

My Perazzi developed a fairly deep gaul just below the bottom firing pin about 6 months ago. I have always cleaned the gun after I shot it and used Tri Flow to lube it. 12,000 rounds later it still goes bang and hasn't blown apart. I think it'a just the nature of the beast. Perazzi's metal is soft. My K-80 has many many more rounds through it than the Perazzi. I've used only gun grease on it and it does not have one single gaul mark?

7. dynasty

dynasty TS Member

are the black streak marks common? or is that another concern?

8. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

Keep it clean and use plenty of Tri-Flow frequently. cls

9. dynasty

dynasty TS Member

Something I should have my gunsmith look at before I shoot it again? The galled part is pretty smooth, maybe just a slight rough.

10. southpark

southpark TS Member

I am a chronically poor speller, but just so everyone knows, it is "GALLING."

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

The mark was most probably caused by some debris on the receiver face. I believe this is more accurately called gouging. Galling is actually a friction welding process. Gauling, I guess, would be looking for Frenchmen or some other Celtics.

Clean is more important than the type of lubrication. If it bothers you. a little rubbing with Emory cloth might polish the area but I would suggest just shooting the gun as is. I would rather have a line on the breech face than a concave area that was created by rubbing out a line.

Pat Ireland

12. southpark

southpark TS Member

Pat, while gouging certainly happens with trap guns that are dirty, I believe galling -- or a wearing down by friction/rubbing -- certainly happens to clean guns that are not properly lubricated.

Of course, I'm pretty sure that "gall" is a verb. Thus, if you have too much galling, then you are probably going to end up with a gouge.

As a side note, to gall also means to irritate. Thus it is that Gauls -- Frenchmen -- are galling. At least to me, anyway.

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'll buy that southpark. And, can you really Gaul a German, Italian, or Japanese gun? How's the African rock lady, eh?....Bob Dodd

14. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Galling happens when one piece of metal moves across another piece of metal under pressure, due to either no lubrication or not enough clearance for the lubrication used, the heat of friction tries to weld the two pieces together. If you look at it with some magnification you can see where metal has been ripped off one piece and deposited on the other, this is not just a shiny spot or wear mark. If a piece of foreign material has gotten between the surfaces it usually scores both sides or imbeds in one side. Once galling starts the surfaces need to be cleaned up or it can get much worse.

Ross

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I concur. A good description should form images that create understanding and this one did.

HM

16. JLW

JLW TS Member

If this is gauling, I think you will see a round, raised deposit at the ends of the streak. Either way, it appears there is a poor match between mating surfaces causing this mark.

I think I'd call P or Giacomo (sp?) and ask about this before further use.-Jerald

17. Wentez

Wentez Member

Gauling is when the French rub you the wrong way!!

18. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Ross nailed it in one. This term is often used as a general term for wear or abrading, but this is inaccurate.

Long and short of it, if it was my gun I would have a smith smooth the surfaces no matter the process of damage.

Stephen

19. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Anyone know who Charles DeGaul was? Jon or was it DeGall

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Don't worry, the hammer spring(s) will break on it long before galling becomes a problem ; )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.