1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gauge mates

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

hello has anyone ever used the gold gauge mates. I was thinking of getting a set of 28 gauge for my 20 gauge gun.

they look to be a sturdy one piece unit and nothing to break by the looks.

if anyone has had any experience with this product, if you could tell me what you thought of them I would be quite greatful.

jeff

2. BryceNZ

BryceNZ TS Member

The gold ones appear to have an O ring or a series of O rings to keep the adapter in the chamber and help seal them.

I used a friends set of 12 to 20 gauge adapters in the model with no O ring seal. I fired about 5 rounds only and even with that small number of shells fired the blow back around the adapter made the gun filthy. Soot and a little powder residue had found it's way into every nook and cranny in the area of the action that the barrels drop into and also inside the action.

I think I'd want to try a set with the O rings to be sure they did in fact seal satisfactorily, I wouldn't want to have to deal with the filth that the non O ring models left behind again and would hate to imagine what the gun would be like after 100 or more rounds were fired in a day !!

Bryce

3. RickyI

RickyI TS Member

I just got a set of the Gold gauge mate in 20 to 28 gauge. This set does not use the O rings, it has a split down the center of the insert that adjust to the chamber ID. I have shot almost 250 targets with these and they work fine. The only draw back that I have is that it leaves a line down the hull where the split is every time you shoot. On some hulls, I have loaded serveral times, just make sure that you put the hull in a different spot each time. NOW some of the hulls had a hair line crack in them and could not be used again for reloading. These were only about 7 or 8 of them that was bad.... I checked each one before reloading them the second & third time.....
    They work well, they are easy to use and I had no problems while shooting in a group during sporting clays........

I have not tried any cheap ammo yet to keep from messing up any good AA or Rem hulls, but I want to try some this weekend and just see how they work out.....

hope this little bit of info helps,

rickyi

4. RickyI

RickyI TS Member

timb99,
    I've seen them. I'd go with the Seminole Chamber Mates or the Briley Sidekicks:

you can not get these for the 20 gauge down to 28 gauge.......... they do make them for the 20 ga. down to the 410 in chamber mates, but the Briley sidekicks are just for 12 ga. down to the 20,28 or .410 ga.

rickyi

5. RickyI

RickyI TS Member

Rickyl - what type gun were you using with the 20-28 adapters? I would use them in a 20 gauge Browning INVP and wonder how the extractors match up and if an overbored barrel makes any difference in fit based on your experience.

hey Benniesdad,

I used them in a Yildiz 20 ga. O/U , the with Trulock chokes in Skeet 1 and Skeet 2.... the little 28 ga. broke targets that the big boy 12 ga. corase was set for..... I didn't really have any trouble with the targets other than my ability to hit them all the time...

In my Beretta 686, I have Briley companion tubes in 28 ga. But that gun is very heavy to tote around while quail hunting, so that is why I wanted to try the 20/28 inserts in the little small frame yildiz..... I have fell in love with the little 28 ga. shell, I have loaded some 20 ga. Win AA in a 3/4 oz. load, but that little 28 ga is the bomb......

rickyi

6. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

I have a set of silver gauge mates 10 to 12ga. They have a full length split down the side so it is easy to get the fired shell removed. They leave a ridge down the shell and I have never tried to reload one. I throw the empties away. They work great for me. Larry

7. RickyI

RickyI TS Member

Larry,

that's the same way with the 20 to 28 ga. But I did reload some of the hulls up to 4 times so far. Like I said, some of them make a hair line split in them, so you have to check them after each firing....

rickyi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
any one ever used a gauge mate

gauge mates