1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gated clubs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by quartering, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

i guess they're all gated, now that i think about it. but some keep the gates open all day and some make you let yourself in, either with a padlock key or an electronic code. i belong to one of each of those types of clubs, but it's the one with the padlock key that's the biggest pain in the ass. and everybody in the club agrees. so, what's the way to go with a remote control gate? ac or solar? keypad or card key? swing arm or sliding? and what does a good gate opener cost? i see price ranges of $300 to $900 at tractor supply and i still wonder if those are the right openers (heavy duty/reliable enough) for our needs. figure 100 shooters in and out a week and the average guy is well into retirement age. thanks

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

First in opens the gate, last man out locks it. A little exercise is good for the old timers. HMB

3. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Contact Card Lock Company, 800-633-1464. They can give you an idea of costs.

We use it for our front gate and clubhouse. We change the card key every year, costs are less than $1 per card. Readers are free and are exchanged every year.

Gate has been there so long, I cannot give you a current price. The opener when replaced a couple of years ago was about $2500.

Bob

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I have an electric swing gate on my property. It's a powerful but not commercial rated unit and I wouldn't recommend it for commercial use. I really think you need an AC motor rather than a 12 volt DC like mine. There is nothing like AC reliability. I suspect a roll gate is more robust and less likely to succumb to the environment, but probably more expensive to install. You don't have the weight of the gate hanging on the hinges with a roll gate, the weight is carried by the rollers.

5. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

who are the gated clubs trying to keep out? Just us common riff raft who want to shoot and compete?

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: who are the gated clubs trying to keep out

I've come down to the fields and found spent rifle cartridges on the fields.

Some folks drive down when the club is closed and see what they can rip off.

On and on...

ADDED:

Trap machines cost how much for one? A pair of skeet machines cost. Your club might have $15,000 to well over $100,000 just in machines sitting around. Copper wiring and pipe is a big theft problem.... Secure the club!

7. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

My multi dicipline club uses a numerical code for access. I think the best method is a proximity card. That prevents the code being given out to non members which is always a problem no matter how many times you warn members against it. For tournaments the gate is open until completed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.