1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gate Opener Motor

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/wireguy/?action=view¤t=gatemotorMedium.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

My electric gate quit. This little drive motor is the culprit. I tried to rebuild the brush that bit the dust but the motor wasn't having it. I think it belongs to a union or something. Well of COURSE they have dis-continued this motor/gear unit. This is just the motor, removed from the gear unit. The replacement setup was $250 which consisted of a motor/gear unit for the next more powerful unit, and the matching circuit board and rev counter. Ok, that's on it's way but some day it will fail too. I'd like to find another motor like this. I'll save my old circuit board and rev counter and when the new unit dies I can install this again. The motor is 12 volts DC, 120 watts, permanent magnet, 2 poles. That's all I know about it as there is NO info on it. It is 2 1/2" long not including the shaft bearing extensions, just under 1 3/4" diameter, with a .200 shaft that extends roughly 1/2". It may be built to metric dimensions. I couldn't find it in Grainger. Does anyone know of a source for these?

I cut the case open after I knew the motor was history so I did some rough photo editing to make it look like I didn't butcher it.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

How about mcmaster carr?

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

McMaster hits all around it but nothing real close. Parvalux doesn't have an American website. Seems they mostly sell to the rest of the world.

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Since it is a DC motor, have you tried to see if a place that rebuilds auto starters and generators can repair the one you have? Just a thought.

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Two ideas for you.

1) Look into the 'First Robotics' competition - they have numerous suppliers of small parts (Andy Mark, Small Parts Inc.) and you might find something there

2) Find a company that re-builds alternators & starter motors. Not sure where you live, but I know of one in Ambler, PA (G T Radiator) - I have never found a motor they couldn't fix or find a replacement for.

Good luck

6. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Just maybe give grainger a call and maybe they can match something up to it they have a lot of good stuff.

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Thanks everyone, like everything else, it is out there, just a matter of finding it. I have plenty of time now that I have the factory upgrade on it's way here. If nothing else I think I could take one of McMaster's and turn the shaft down in my ultra-deluxe mill with awsome tooling, also known as a drill press and a bastard file. Would you believe that little item is around a C note?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.