1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gastric torsion / bloat

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jnoemanh, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

I was sorry to hear that someone here lost a dog to bloat. It happens far, far too often.

Bloat happens when the stomach "turns over", closing off the entrance and exit. The stomach then swells from the gases of digestion, and the pressure of the swollen stomach shuts off blood flow to internal organs and the dog dies.

A dog with bloat CAN BE SAVED. It is up to you. To do so you must recognize the symptoms, and you must get him to a vet immediately. Bloat is an absolute EMERGENCY!!!

A dog with bloat will be restless; may try to vomit, but be unable to do so. May act as though he wants to drink, but will not. The stomach will appear swollen, but maybe only slightly so.

It's easy to think - "Rover has a tummy ache". Maybe he does, and maybe he has bloat - GET TO A VET RIGHT NOW!! If it's 2 AM, call your vet at home, wake him up, tell him you suspect bloat. Meet him at his office. If you're lucky enough to have a 24 hour emergency vet, go there. You must not delay getting help, not for one hour, not for one minute. If you're in the field, drop your gun and go. You can replace your gun; you can't replace your dog. You CANNOT wait to see if he gets better. If the dog has bloat, he will die while you are waiting!!!!

Sometimes a vet can correct the problem by passing a stomach tube; more often he'll have to do surgery to turn the stomach. Actually surgery is a good thing, because the vet will then tack the stomach in place so it can't "flip" again.

Our first bird dog, a Standard Poodle (don't laugh unless you've hunted with one) bloated, and we drove him to the emergency vet at 4 AM. The vet saved him. Our present Standard acted bloaty, and we rushed him to the emergency vet at 9 PM on a Sunday night. Just as the vet was examining him, the dog let an enormous fart. False alarm, and out-of-pocket $185, but I'll rush him to the vet anytime again.

Bloat is most common in large, deep-chested dogs, but it happens in all dogs, even toys and miniatures. It often happens when they've filled their stomach with water or food and are then active, but not always. It can happen at any time.

Bloat kills thousands and thousands of our beloved dogs. Please, PLEASE, don't hesitate if you suspect bloat.

2. smartass

smartass TS Member

I get bloated all the time but a good fart usually takes care of it.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

We lost a Catahula to it..but at 15yrs she was sick from so many other age related problems,..that we did the kindest thing we could for her

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

When I had Labs I was concerned about the problem so I always fed our dogs 2 meals a day instead of one big meal. We used to put warm water on their kibble type food so they would not need to gulp down a lot of water after eating. Whether this helped or not I dunno but we didn't experience this horrible problem anyway.

5. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I used to have dogs, but not any more. I used to read all kinds of medical books on dog health problems, particularly the books written for the layman dog owner.

I seem to recall one EMERGENCY method of treating a dog with the bloat condition. This may sound cruel and should be used only in the gravest of emergencies when trained medical help is not immediately available for your dog.

Anyway, as I recall, the emergency procedure for a dog with bloat is to puncture the dog's stomach with a sharp hollow tube such as a car's hollow radio antenna. This will allow the buildup of gas in the stomach to escape. Of course, the dog will need medical attention to repair the hole in the stomach, but this procedure may buy your dog a few hours of time.

Does anyone else recall reading or hearing about this emergency procedure?

6. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

<<Anyway, as I recall, the emergency procedure for a dog with bloat is to puncture the dog's stomach with a sharp hollow tube such as a car's hollow radio antenna. This will allow the buildup of gas in the stomach to escape. Of course, the dog will need medical attention to repair the hole in the stomach, but this procedure may buy your dog a few hours of time.

Does anyone else recall reading or hearing about this emergency procedure?>>

I've heard of it, and it's theoretically possible, but...do you have enough knowlege of a dog's internal organs to avoid severing a major blood vessel, or damaging a major organ? Will the dog survive the inevitable peritonitis this will cause?

There's a lot more to it than just repairing a hole...but, would I do it if there were no other possible choice? Yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.