1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gasoline Cost Vs Trapshooting/Fishing

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

A close friend of mine that does a lot of tournament Fishing says the cost of Gasoline has cut into the entries, he asked me about Trapshooting and i said it is happening there also.

So fuel costs are cutting into Trapshooting, Fishing, and Food cosys are rising.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. NU2Shooting1027

NU2Shooting1027 TS Member

Gary...;ast summer when the gas prices started to rise I cut back on my fishing big time. I usually run my boat out of Ocean City, MD offshore about 20-25 times a year plus fish about 60-70 days in the Chesapeake. Last year I used my boat a total of 12 times and never went offshore. It's killing me as this summer will probably be the same, atleast I have a charter booked in August to get my offshore fix.

Allan

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

I fail to see how the price of gas has much of an impact. It is a great excuse but if you love the activity it will not have any impact.

The truth is that people buy things and then get tired of the activity/sport. So rather than blame the fact they are not competitive, or have lost interest, it is easy to blame something else.

Don

4. T/C

T/C TS Member

Well Don, my boat holds 100 gallons of gas. Right now before the season even gets going, gas is 3.65 a gallon at the dock. My "excuse" is, I can't afford to run my boat as much as I did 3 years ago, but my interest in fishing is still there bigger than ever. You gotta go to the fish, the fish don't come out of the Ches. Bay, up the river and under the dock, where I can sit, burn no gas, and catch Stripers. Anybody that loves the water, has a boat, loves to fish the saltwaters, is going to take a big hit this season. Charter fishing costs for Rock/Stripers have gone up 75-100 dollars this year from last. Fuel prices are impacting EVERYTHING. Bait costs more this year than last cause it comes by truck, trucks run on gas, someone has to pay that difference. If you don't see the impact, you need glasses. Or maybe you just make too much money. T.

5. yenko

yenko TS Member

don how about supporting my shooting and gas fund!ill shoot my ass off and drive to every shoot.

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Gasoline price is not having an effect on my shooting, but there is a reduction in the amount of shooting that I am able to do because the cost of shells and reloading components has risen steeply since last year.

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

If gas has only gone up 30%, why is your offshore fishing down 100%?

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Higher gas costs have reduced many folks discretionary income. I just shoot closer to home.And havent shot any registered targets at all last year.

9. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Gas is SO expensive I am going to skip the Trap season and just stay home and watch the my extensive collection of VCR recordings of American Idol and Dancing with the Stars....

10. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Historically gas has not kept up with inflation and still isn't where it ought to be. Not that I want ot pay for expensive gas. I think peoples knickers are in a knot because it spiked on us and its been blowing the household budget.
    Shoot straight. Dave T.

11. JH

JH Well-Known Member

"gas has not kept up with inflation and still isn't where it ought to be???" What in $^#$# are you talking about? If you drive a diesel pickup, motorhome, boat and gas is running $4.10 a gallon (now...it will be higher this summer)...and you pay $3.69 for a gallong of fuel oil and your wages are fixed....do you think this will cut into your shooting, fishing, etc? Never mind the price of groceries, reloading and just about everything rising? Do you work for an oil company? Gas prices are not what they should be? When did you incur brain damage?

12. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I honestly do not believe fuel costs have changed trapshooting this year. As a former boat owner and former offshore fisherman I can understand the fishing/fuel connection. I don't see it in trapshooting. If it costs and extra dollar or two for me to drive to a trap club for a Sunday shoot - that is nothing. (Ammunition costs might have an impact on some).

So are you addressing folks who have motor homes and are driving hundreds of miles to a shoot?? I can see how fuel costs might impact the number of trips they make. But everyones situation is different - here in Delaware, I can go to three state shoots without paying hotel bills and driving less than 100 miles per day. Having gas prices increase a dollar or so per gallon over last year means it will cost me an extra four or five bucks a day to go to those shoots. Trips up to Elysburg will cost more. It is 140 miles from my house so that might take 7 gallons of gas so it will add an extra 15 - 20 dollars to the round trip over last year. So for me there is a very small cost increase due to fuel. If you drive a bus and have to go far, that equation will look a bit different.

13. Obs

Obs TS Member

I only have one club within a 1 1/2 drive. The average to the "local" clubs is about 3 1/2 hours. For years I have used my F250 PSD to pull my fifth wheel down on Friday morning, shot marathons on Friday afternoon and the regular program on Saturday and Sunday. In 2004, my average costs looked like this:

Fuel (450 miles at 10 mpg @ $1.50/gal) = $67.50

Targets (800 registered at $20/100 plus games and practice) = $200

Shells (1000 @ $30/flat) = $120)

Total for weekend = $387.50

Costs today for the same weekend:

Fuel (450 miles at 10 mpg @ $4.00/gal) = $180

Targets (800 registered at $25/100 plus games and practice) = $250

Shells (1000 @ $55/flat) = $220)

Total for weekend = $650

Thats closing in on a double in 4 years. While everything is higher, most of the increase is attributable to fuel ... fuel for the truck and fuel to deliver both the shells and the targets. Now mix in lower income resulting from a drop in construction (I'm in the business). The result: in 2004 I shot about 8,000 registered targets. This year I hope to get in 2,500. Yeah, fuel costs are impacting my shooting and I don't like it.

14. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I know im not going to be shooting much this year one reason because of my work schedule of having to work every friday night and some saturday nights.

Another thing I don't see me paying almost 30.00 per 100 for targets at the small shoots when I can shoot them for the same price at a big shoot that counts for something.

Even if I do shoot this year it won't be much and will probably be at a bigger shoot anyway my wages hasn't gone up enough to even cover the increase of my health insurance at work and I know the shells and gas hasn't got any cheaper than last year so I might so go to frank C house instead,but I don't want to watch any stinking American Idol or dancing with the stars Frank do you have any action packed movies to watch.

Foggy

15. TjayE

TjayE Member

The increase price of gas and shells will definitely affect the attendance of trap shooting tournaments this year. Anyone who disagrees with this statement must have unlimited funds. Tom

16. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"I fail to see how the price of gas has much of an impact. It is a great excuse but if you love the activity it will not have any impact.

The truth is that people buy things and then get tired of the activity/sport. So rather than blame the fact they are not competitive, or have lost interest, it is easy to blame something else."

Don, you are serious competition for Dr. Phil!

Morgan

17. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

All I do is shoot. No other hobbies. I don't go out to breakfast, lunch or Dinner like most Americans do: Dunkin Donuts in the Morning, Deli for Lunch, And then dinner out. Lots of money out the door. Big waste of time driving and standing in lines, and gas. I'm focusing my disposal income on shooting. I also don't drink(never had a beer in my life) or smoke. Call me what ever you want but I'll be on the Trap line for many years to come. Dave T.

18. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Several here mentioned the fact that the cost per gallon is rising at an alarming rate. But I didn't see anyone point out the fact that fuel mileage averages are down severely this year vs. last due to the higher percentages of ethanol in our wonderful "blended fuel" now. We all look at the signs at the pump, but have you dared to calculate your fuel mileage lately? Not good at all...

19. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

Trapshooting Vs. Fishing. I spend about the same in gas for the boat for a day of fishing on the lake as I would for a day shooting(shells and targets). The difference is maintenance cost. I have never had to put a $1500 lower unit on my trap gun. The cost of keeping a boat running would have bought some nice shooting toys. JD

20. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I know the costs attributed to our hobbies have risen drastically in the past 2 years....but I feel that the cost of trapshooting is still a pretty bargain for me. When I really think that it may be too expensive to shoot, then I think about my other love....Offshore Saltwater Fishing in Big Blue! I add up the price of a new Grady-White, 25 + footer, twin OB's, all new electronics, slip fees, insurance and then onto all the rig's......

As I said, in "my" relative terms...Trapshooting is still a bargain!

Like Gary, living in Delaware affords me the opportunity to shoot at 4 state shoots at reasonable cost.

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.