1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GAS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Grump, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grump

Grump TS Member

Just an observation; in the past month I have traveled by car approximatley 1,600 miles out of my home area. I can tell you that gas is nowhere near high enough. You would think the price of gas is around $.50 a gallon. I know that people need in some casses to go somewhere for meetings and doctor visit. Maybe even to a shoot, but the traffic not only on interstate but also on state and county hiways has not dropped in the least. I live in the midwest and thought it was just are remote areas but in four states I noticed the same action. I believe when gas reaches a high enough price it will show on the streets and roadways.

Have a nice day and keep your head down.
    Grump

2. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

It does seem to have slowed down some though. I am going to play a new game this summer, just see how little I can use. I am thinking I can net a 50 percent reduction. Just my little way of protesting our 535 friends who have sat on their hands for thirty years or so and allowed us to continue our gas thirsty ways as if there were no tomorrow. Well its tomorrow.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When I pull into the local gas station that has sixteen pumps, there is usually a car at every pump. $4.20 a gallon doesn't seem to matter much. HMB

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

It is $10.00 per gallon in England. Today is not tomorrow, that is tomorrow.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The problem now is that some people are driving 10 mph under any and all posted speed limits, while others are doing 10 to 30 mph over any and all posted speed limits. The situation is getting pretty scary in some areas.

6. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Grump, I said the same thing last Summer and it hasn't gotten any better since, we don't deserve cheaper fuel, I guess.

I can drive (on any day, but alot worse on weekends) 70 miles South on a 4 lane, to the nearest big city, and me running 70 or so and be passed by 20+ SUV's running 85-95, and 95% of those will have one specific ethnic group in them, blacked out windows and pull in and roll out the $100 bills to pay for gas. But the cops won't stop them.

I can go East into OKC on I-40, I "might" pass 2 trucks on the way, the other 100-200 trucks will pass me. And they're the ones screaming the loudest.

7. nipper

nipper TS Member

id bet 6 out of 10 are filling up on plastic at probably 13% intrest

bill

8. austin fatts

austin fatts TS Member

Same here in south Minnesota. Actually have had to wait in line to get gas!! Just nuts!!

Austin Fatts

9. bkms

bkms Member

I have to disagree with the truckers still hauling butt. On a recent trip (471 miles one way) to southern Illinois i cant even remember a trucker passing me and i was doing 70. All i seen going and coming have slowed it down alot. Sure there will be some that wont. Even regular cars and trucks seem to have slowed way down. Theres still the jerks that will drive breakneck speeds no matter what. Besides my trip to hunt (was planned for a year or i wouldnt of went) i have cut my gas comsuption by probably 75%. I refuse to pay those prices so i sit at home now. I sold my sporting clays gun due to it. I work for an oil company and they are making so much money its ridicudlous. Quit giving them tax breaks and they might change their attitude. Just wait, hurricane season starts June 1, you aint seen nothing yet in gas prices. They cant wait to really put the screws to everyone when one pops up on the horizon.

10. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

goosie, reducing the speed limit to 65 wouldn't have any impact upon the speed people drive, just like the old, stupid 55 mph speed limit. People drive at whatever speed suits them and will always do that. I'm getting sick of busybodies trying to tell everybody else what kind of vehicle to buy and what speed they should drive- get a freaking life and stay the hell outa mine.

I'd like to buy a M-1 tank and drive 100 mph just to piss the whiners off.

Gump, if the price of gas hasn't caused you to stay off the highways, why do you think it would any of the rest of us?

11. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Oh now, goosie, aren't we being a little sensitive there, perhaps even being childish. Having to resort to cursing demonstrates you nature- not having the balls to spell out the word is cowardly.

Have a nice day and keep your head up your rear, goosie.

12. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I agree with bkms. Truckers Ive seen here in central Ohio are doing 55-60. At 4.79 a gallon I can see why.

Cars are still going 70-75. I just stay in the right lane and let em go.

Regards...Gerald

13. DJM

DJM Member

Up here in central MN we are seeing a reduction in traffic. But I think the gasoline price has risen faster than people can adjust. When you have a big investment in a $250K cabin, a $20K boat and a $35K tow vehicle you are going to use them. And the gas prices make these items dificult to liquidate W/O a huge loss.

14. Bubba

Bubba Member

I'm with Little Dog. Let's have choices not mandates.

15. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

What make all you people think that people are going to be willing to sit at home all the time because of the price of gas? They are not. They will still want to go trap shooting, to the movies or to the parks and of course on vacations NOT to mention having to go to work and all the other things people need gas in their cars to do. It's just like smoking. I see kids today smoking cigarettes at $5 plus a pack and driving around just to drive that make less than $10 an hour jobs. But that doesn't stop them. When the price of gas gets so high that people actually stop doing these things and sit at home all the time I predict we're going to see mass (going postal) in our society.

16. Janet

Janet TS Member

I live in Ohio and the cost of gas has slowed me down..I now arrange errands to do all in the same area necessitating one trip for all, I drive slower and coast down hills L.O.L.

I recently sold my 5th wheel and diesel truck. It's sad to be sure.

Janet CJ

17. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

"The problem now is that some people are driving 10 mph under any and all posted speed limits, while others are doing 10 to 30 mph over any and all posted speed limits. The situation is getting pretty scary in some areas."

Brian, not too bad if the slow ones stay in the right lane like they are supposed to. It's the ones that sit in the left lane and are not passing anyone that will cause road incidents, including road RAGE!!! ;) :)

If you are expecting to see a slow down in traffic and numbers....it is coming.

18. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

It's not driving slower or faster that uses up all the gas. It's sitting at all the damn stop-lights all the time idleing your gas away. The traffic lights in the Seattle are suck big time and I'm sure they do elseware too.

19. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

I started walking to my local Wal-Mart and other stores. Not only does it save gas, but it's good exercise for me and my dog. Guess how many others I see walking- NONE. Most people still do a lot of driving around parking lots to find a close parking spot- saving themselves 50 feet of walking. They must all be trapshooters. LOL

20. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I'm not driving any less, just using a different vehicle. I used to drive my F250 everywhere, now I take the car which gets 2.5 times the gas mileage. I go to the gun club and most of the time I'm the only car in the parking lot, everybody else is still driving the pickup trucks.

The price of gas hasn't slowed me down, but the price of lead sure has. I don't shoot any trap practice anymore. I'm down to 4 bags of shot that I purchased for $12.50 a bag. I've decided I'm not going to pay $40 a bag for shot. So I'm conserving shot and shells. Still have 2 five gallon buckets of reloads, and a few flats of "Gun Clubs". After they are gone don't know what I will do.