1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gas vs. Inertia

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FNG, Sep 16, 2013.

1. FNG

FNG Member

No, I'm not talking about the digestive system ! I'm talking about the two different types of systems of semi-auto shotguns; say Benelli vs. Remington. Specifically I'm interested in your experience with these two systems when shooting heavy 3" goose loads. Which one has less felt recoil ? I am told that the inertia system doesn't require the frequent cleaning/maintenance that the gas systems do, but that they might have greater felt recoil with heavy loads.
    Thanks

2. gaengineer

gaengineer Member

Get a gas gun and a cleaning kit or an inertia gun and a good dentist to set your teeth back in. If you are only shooting 3" and its a hunting only gun, a Beretta 3901 is hard to beat for cost and durability. Just my $0.02.

3. FIB

FIB Member

FNG, I used to goose hunt a lot and bought the Benelli SBE after much research. If you are only going to shoot 3" shells the Benelli M2 would be a good choice in an inertia operated firearm. For a gas operated firearm there are many choices eg. Remington 11-87, Beretta 3901, etc... You do not have to clean a Benelli very often. My Brother-in-law goes to Argentina dove hunting quite often and Benelli's and Beretta's are the firearms of choice. Regards, FIB

4. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

You started shooting in June, and now you are ignoring published recipies for shot shell reloading. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me!

5. drh08

drh08 TS Member

I think you are over thinking this some, 3 inch goose loads? If you are looking for a hunting gun, it doesn't matter that much. You aren't going to shoot that many rounds when shooting 3 inch goose loads to be swayed one way or the other on the action type. Keep the gun clean, use the correct oil for the situation and both will operate just fine.

With that said some guns will rattle your teeth with those loads and some won't, some of it is the gun fit and some the design of the gun (not necessarily the action). So if you can, mount the guns and light off the cannon and decide for yourself.

6. twotimer

twotimer Member

I have a Browning Gold hunter, can't imagine anything being softer shooting or more reliable. Take it pheasant hunting every year and it never fails. Also shoot light loads on trap field with it once in a while and it always cycles. Mike

7. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Just MHO,

I'll stick with my Browning A5.

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

In general I agree that inertia guns kick harder and gas guns are more finicky but my Winchester Model 50 is very soft shooting and has a very fast cycle time however it is probably not as reliable as a modern gun. Breakfree CLP helps a lot on the floating chamber to keep this gun working but it does not like steel base cheap loads.

9. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

What about the Remington versa max. I shot this over at the grand the 2 years they had the demo at the 5 stand they gave you 5 shells. 2 were gun club 1 was a nitro 1 was a 3 inch steel & 1 was a 3 1/2 inch steel. There 1700 fps steel loads. Lightest recoiling 3 1/2 gun I've ever shot. I had some 7/8 ounce loads in the truck grabbed 6 of them it cycled them with out a hitch. The only other auto that I've been able to shoot the 7/8 ounce out of that cycled reliably is my browning gold hunter in 3 inch model. I've been hoping and waiting for them to come out with a 30 inch barrel on them.

10. ajhiii07

ajhiii07 Member

you might also look at the remington versamax its a very soft gas gun that shoots 2 3/4" 3" and 3 1/2" shells I have one and use 3/4 oz. loads for skeet doubles has yet to fail to fire the only down side is a field trigger about 5 lbs of pull
    it is also very easy to clean and very adjustable.

11. FNG

FNG Member

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I looked at the Cabela's web site for the Remington Versamax. I read the description and price, then read the reviews. Wow ! There were a number of very negative reviews, mostly concerning poor quality control on new guns and subsequent customer service. I hope none of you have had those experiences. I think I'll pass on Remington.

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Forget the rest and buy the best-an old Winchester Super-X Model 1. No stamped parts made from reclaimed beer cans!!

Search tags for this page
benelli montefeltro vs remington versa max
bt 99 shotgun vs benelli montefeltro

gas vs inertia shotgun

inertia vs gas operated recoil
inertia vs gas operated shotguns
inertia vs gas shotgun
inertia vs gas shotguns
semi auto shotgun inertia vs gas