1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GAS & SHOT PRICES, & NEW WAY OF THINKING!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i am 56 years old, when i was young the lowest gas prices i can remember were 22.9 per gallon. in 1973 the oil embargo hit, i remember long lines and had to carry a ten dollar bill to get gas. a few years ago, here in milwaukee, when the gas hit $2.00 per gallon, people were angry, asking for an investigation of why gas prices were so high? as soon as the investigation started, gas prices fell a bit. now that gas is around $3.29 per gallon here, most people would give anything to have gas sell at $2.00 per gallon. i went to gander mountain today on my lunch hour, AA's and STS shells were $8.99 per box. at first i said to myself are they crazy? then i started thinking how i felt when gas reached $2.00 per gallon. i don't feel that gas or shot prices will ever really take a big dip downwards, but will we ever say that gas at 3.29 per gallon and a new box of shells at $8.99 per box were a good deal, and we wish that price was still in affect. do you think once we get use to these prices, we will look back and say that 2008 was the good old days? what do you think? steve balistreri

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Uhhhhhh....yeah, right!

Morgan

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

How much did your pay go up since 1973? How much more since the gas increase from $2.00 to $3.50

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If you compare shell prices from 30 years ago today, based on inflation they are less than they should be. In 1970 AA's were about $42 a case, or $21 a flat, which didn't exist at that time. At $70 a flat today that's an increase of 333% -about half of what the increase has been in the cost of living index.

5. smokem all

smokem all TS Member

Steve did you own a cigar store in Valparaiso.
    Smokem all

6. senior smoke

here's my new way of thinking, gas prices, shot prices, most likely will not come down. so i'm sick of complaining about it. i will still shoot, but maybe not as much.
    steve balistreri

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Someday we will do something about the price of shot. When you burn up a gallon of gas it is gone. When you shoot up a bag of shot it is on the ground in the drop zone. You can use it again. Are you getting the message? We have to do something to facilitate its retreival. HMB

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

As I recall there were a hell-of-a-lot more shooters at the clubs in the 1970's than today. Just everyday types. Not anymore. But, it's for many reasons. However, the biggest is "lack of interest," in the shooting sports as compared to all the other hobbies available to pursue.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

My pay has not gone up in 6 years, nor do I suspect it will go up at any point soon. 55,000k 6 years ago I was happy than you could think. Now I have a strict shooting budget. Even though I have only been shooting trap for 3 years. found some receipts June of 06 flat of estates 34.50 last purchases Feb 08 57.50 June 06 electric bill 74.00 Feb 08 189.00. weekly gas 06 average was 30.00 just filled my tank Friday @ 3.09 75.00. Asked boss about a raise. Sorry no go. What to do. I will take a hit in pay if a try to go somewhere else. My boss could easily let me go and get someone for much less. Look at what the starting pay to cast of living has dropped. Arrgghhh!!!!! well I will shoot as much as $$$$ allows

10. senior smoke

your responses make a lot of sense.
    steve balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.