1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GAS PRICES

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by birdogs, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Omama AND his Energy Secretary Chu have both said publicly that they are not interested in seeing the price of gas come down. They said that what they want is to see us use less fuel. $4.00 a gallon gas does just that. Imagine what $6.00 a gallon will do? Do the American people count for so little to these ideological liberal purists? I think this tells us all we need to know about these SOBs.

Has anyone written to his Senator or Representative about this? Have there been any demonstrations? Has there been a hue and cry about being betrayed by our own government? If so, I haven't heard or seen it.

We have become too passive about the things we allow our government impose on us. This is another tax which Obama has no interest in addressing since it plays to his desires of impoverishing and emasculating the US citizenry.

While we debate about 7 1/2's or 8's, our country is being stolen out from under us along with our rights. If this continues, we will not be concerned about 7 1/2's or 8's since we will not have the right to own a gun or to shoot, "in the public interest".

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

We have been a mobile society too many years to shut down now.

People look forward to a little time away, and now the "Staycation" BS.

On the other hand maybe 4-5.00 gas will convince people this clown has to go.

Too bad we have to wait until Nov.

Regards....Gerald

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

They said they wanted us to have prices like europe.

4. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Most Ubama voters are too poor to own cars so they don't care how much gas costs. Remember, you can't buy gas with food stamps. Besides, they get public transportation to the voting booths. What a great country.

5. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

The media is what has screwed everything up. They gey some college economics professor or some speculator,to say tha gas will be 5$ a gallon by summer, then get us all believing. Then the oil companies pounce on us like a cat on a fish out of water.

I live in the St. Louis area and have been commuting to Chicago area for my work. Every oil well I pass on I-55 in Illinois is sitting idle, not pumping a drop. I would think that if I had property with oil wells and oil was over $100 a barrel, my pumps would be pumping their guts out.

I don't understand?

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Those on ADC-welfare-etc. don't care what gas costs, Osambo is giving it to them isn't he??? Why would you care what "anything" cost if you were given the money (ADC-welfare-etc) to buy it????

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Which Steven Chu do you believe?

The White House obviously wants to tamp down the rhetoric BUT does not want to change the reality of where they are taking us. We will all be living in "transit villages" but many of us will still be argueing about 7 1/2's or 8's.

Have any of you written to your Senators orm Representatives? I know that it seems like an excercise in futility but if they discerne a threat to their re-election, they will act. Otherwise just say "Baaaaaa" and keep following the Judas goat.

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Start the March. Why wait for someone else to start?

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Big Bad Bob, The pumps are connected to tanks in the field, and when the tanks get full they shut the pumps off until a tanker truck comes and empties the tanks, then they start up again

Or the pumps might be on depleted wells, and there is no more oil to pump, or it is real slow refilling the well

10. 1oz

1oz Member

ALL i hear is in Europe wake up this isn't Europe . How about Africa or the Middle East countries where gas is cheaper .We are in the USA . The UK has had high gas prices . I was there in the late 70's if i remember right 5 -6 a gallon then but their health care is paid threw this . Canada has a health care system but i see many comming to the USA willing to pay for healthcare wonder why???? Me i would rather do way with all 3. Obama top of the list ,free healthcare second and high gas prices third.Look at the freaking mess this country is in already and you want the same fools to make more choices for you. Geshhhhh Less governed is the best governed.

11. Stl Flyn

Click.

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Of coures the speculators are at work. That is what they do. The US government has told us all that they want $5.00 - $6.00 gas so the seculators see no obstacle to raising oil prices to a level to support that price. After all, if you are doing what the government wants, it is not likely that they will act against you.

In this and so many other cases, THIS government is clearly acting against the will of the people. They don't care because they have their own dreama and this is their opportunity to have then realized. The fools in the voting booths will give them this once in a lifetime chance. They will do as their union leaders or pastors or the liberal media tells them to.

The perpetrators will be re-elected until the bottom falls out, as it will. Then the fools will look for where to place the blame. The answer is "look in the mirror, fool". THAT is who to blame! BUT it is too late!

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

birdogs , That is absurd. Obama , the liberals and the unions are not causing the price of gas to skyrocket. No President wants high gas prices at election time.
    It is simply the speculators controlling too much oil.

14. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Over the Hill,

Don't bet on $5 gas getting rid of Obammy. Blacks will vote black just because he's part black and they think he is going to give them the farm. Obammy wants every American Citizen DEPENDANT ON THE GOVERNMENT!!! That is so that the gov't can control every aspect of your life.

In regard to the rest of the corruption in D.C. -- I live in Michigan and my two Senators are both Obammy ASS KISSERS. They truly don't care about Joe Citizen. If you would like proof, look at the speeches that Carl Levin makes on the floor of the Senate every week. Totally anti gun. As for the other on you need only to look at her voting record. Everything that Obammy has proposed, Stabmenow has voted for. I think she has hhis unit in her mouth when she says yeah!

If any of you out there are offended because I am a little crass, I would just as soon as tell my Senators what a shitty job they are doing as to print it here. Bring em on!

Chuck

15. lctrapshooter

lctrapshooter Active Member

This is the ANSWER.

Q.And A.

Q. Pete asks Joe. "Shouldn't voters have to take an Intelligence Test"?

A. Joe said "You don't have to be intelligent to vote."

Q. Pete asks Joe. "What if there are more stupid people than intelligent

people"?

A. Joe said "Then the DIMocRats win everytime."

16. Stl Flyn

Obviously, the link was to hard to read, or comprehend. Common sense is sometimes hard to realize when looked at from a political standpoint.

17. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

i really don't understand this speculation stuff. If speculators are causing the price to go up when they buy, why doesn't it go down when they sell what they have bought?

18. Stl Flyn

It does. They just need a reason to sell, and take profits. When all of the uncertainties of the interruption of oil flow are diminished you will see people bailing by the boatload (Covering those long positions). That was the reason why oil tanked so quickly at the end of 2008. Consumption was dropping so fast, and there where no real threats to stop or slow production, or access to oil. All the investors bailed at once knowing the economy was going down, thus oil was losing demand. Oil was backing up in the flow lines so to speak, and it went down quickly. Investors can buy and sell futures in commodities just like stocks in the stock market. Big banks are some of those investors. Gold is usually their most likely hedge against the dollar. Buying (Long) in the market and selling (Short) in the market is very confusing. Money can be made in either direction of the market, or underlying asset. Oh, and money can be lost in either direction.

Who trades futures?

Futures traders are traditionally placed in one of two groups: hedgers, who have an interest in the underlying asset (which could include an intangible such as an index or interest rate) and are seeking to hedge out the risk of price changes; and speculators, who seek to make a profit by predicting market moves and opening a derivative contract related to the asset "on paper", while they have no practical use for or intent to actually take or make delivery of the underlying asset. In other words, the investor is seeking exposure to the asset in a long futures or the opposite effect via a short futures contract.

Speculators:

Speculators typically fall into three categories: position traders, day traders, and swing traders (swing trading), though many hybrid types and unique styles exist. With many investors pouring into the futures markets in recent years controversy has risen about whether speculators are responsible for increased volatility in commodities like oil, and experts are divided on the matter. [7]

An example that has both hedge and speculative notions involves a mutual fund or separately managed account whose investment objective is to track the performance of a stock index such as the S&P 500 stock index. The Portfolio manager often "equitizes" cash inflows in an easy and cost effective manner by investing in (opening long) S&P 500 stock index futures. This gains the portfolio exposure to the index which is consistent with the fund or account investment objective without having to buy an appropriate proportion of each of the individual 500 stocks just yet. This also preserves balanced diversification, maintains a higher degree of the percent of assets invested in the market and helps reduce tracking error in the performance of the fund/account. When it is economically feasible (an efficient amount of shares of every individual position within the fund or account can be purchased), the portfolio manager can close the contract and make purchases of each individual stock.

The social utility of futures markets is considered to be mainly in the transfer of risk, and increased liquidity between traders with different risk and time preferences, from a hedger to a speculator, for example.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The fact is that without the futures markets to smooth things out there would be wild unmanageable swings in the prices of nearly all major commodities.

Remember, for every buyer there is a seller, so someone wins and someone loses. The Hunt Brothers lost an unbelievable amount of money when the silver market collapsed after their failure to corner it.

There is a "last trading day" for all contracts, anyone holding after that is going to be taking delivery.

Regarding petroleum:

As long as the systemallows our petroleum to be exported for big profits, we will not see any reduction in gas prices. Their needs to be an import tax and export quotas, for all petroleum products until our needs as a country are met.

The jerks that talk "dependence on foreign oil" when we are a net exporter of petroleum know that most of the country is stupid enough to belive it.

Dumb and Dumber.

HM

20. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

Sti--Thanks for the clear and thoughtful explanation. If I understand you correctly, speculators may contribute to prices going up and down, but really don't have any effect on long term prices.

Also "when all of the uncertainties of the interruption of oil flow are diminished you will see people bailing by the boatload (Covering those long positions)." I was wondering how they know that the interruption has ended and I wonder who buys the stuff when they want to get sell their long positions.

"All the investors bailed at once knowing the economy was going down" I guess it's the same question. How did the investors know that the economy was going down and who would buy it when that was happening.