1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gas price hikes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bkms, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkms

bkms Member

Gas prices here in SW MS went up six cents today. News of a refinery fire thursday at Pascagoula,Ms and a possible bad hurricane is already driving it up. The gas in their tanks was there before the mishap at the refinery and the hurricane. Just another way for the oil companies to screw us over again. Also, i am sure yall have noticed, that gas prices have not went back down. They are not going to stop till it gets to 4bucks a gallon. Our president and vice pres are oilman so they damn sure aint going to do anything about it either. Oh yeah, i work for an oil company and i dont like it. Oh well just bigger bonuses for the execs. bob...........

2. 682b

682b Member

Gas has been going down in Richmond Va. for several weeks. It has gone down another few cents today. I expect it to go up after the storms in the gulf but it is as low as 2.44 south of town.

3. TC

TC TS Member

Everybody complains but few do anything about it. I have reduced our consumption by over 30 percent from 5 years ago just by changing some of our driving habits. It isn't that hard to do.

4. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Well put TC. Vote your wallet. We did the same thing here at our house and it was not hard at all. Driving 65-68 vs 72-75 shows a nice increase in mileage. Certain trips are unavoidable, others are unnecessary. Avoid the unnecessary onesand combine them with the necessary ones. We just replaced our second vehicle (a '99 High top Conversion van) which got 15 on the highway and 12 in the city on its best day with a 24 city, 32 highway vehicle. We figure that 5 payments annually are made by the fuel savings alone. It actually got over 37 mpg for a 100 mile stretch through TN/KY following a truck. The guys on mythbusters were right. We kept the van as a tow vehicle and only insure it when we use it. We need to accept the fact that the days of $2 gas are a thing of the past and get over it. I don't really care how much the bonus checks of the execs at Exxon were last year. If we consume less, the supply will increase and the price will drop. This is simple economics here. Stop the flow of oil into the country and have ships waiting offshore to unload and now you have something. Until then, we're just peeing in the wind.

Jeff

5. break25

break25 TS Member

You should see what has happened to the boating fraternity. More boats for sale this year than last year. Doesn't bother some who still want to throw the throttle alll the way, create wakes that shake all the boats in their paths and go as fast as they can,

CHAZZ

6. smartass

smartass TS Member

Sammie, that's stupid. A monopoly is, by definition, one company. For your info, all the US oil companies combines control less that 30% of the worldwide oil business now. They can't even make up a decent oligopoly. Perhaps you should cease letting Nancy Pelosi think for you.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

sammie- You remain confused.

Pat Ireland

8. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I noticed gas went up about a nickel a gallon today here in So. Wisconsin too. I figured it was because in two weeks it's Labor Day and they need to start nudging up prices now to really be able to gouge us then.

I had not heard of the refinery fire and didn't give any thought to the alarmist reactions to the hurricane.

Tim

9. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

Hey guys, you don't like the price of gas, don't drive. You don't like the price of lead, don't shoot. You can walk your fat butts for transportation and recreation.

10. break25

break25 TS Member

You should see what has happened to the boating fraternity. More boats for sale this year than last year. Doesn't bother some who still want to throw the throttle alll the way, create wakes that shake all the boats in their paths and go as fast as they can,

CHAZZ

11. smartass

smartass TS Member

Sammie, that's stupid. A monopoly is, by definition, one company. For your info, all the US oil companies combines control less that 30% of the worldwide oil business now. They can't even make up a decent oligopoly. Perhaps you should cease letting Nancy Pelosi think for you.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

sammie- You remain confused.

Pat Ireland

13. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I noticed gas went up about a nickel a gallon today here in So. Wisconsin too. I figured it was because in two weeks it's Labor Day and they need to start nudging up prices now to really be able to gouge us then.

I had not heard of the refinery fire and didn't give any thought to the alarmist reactions to the hurricane.

Tim

14. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

Hey guys, you don't like the price of gas, don't drive. You don't like the price of lead, don't shoot. You can walk your fat butts for transportation and recreation.

15. bkms

bkms Member

Dardanelles, i sure do particapate in the stock option, its a very good plan also. Its growing really good with the prices of crude. But i still dont agree with the high gas prices as it not only effects drivers but effects all aspects of life. I go grocery shopping with the wife and i notice how much everything has gone up since gas has went up so much. We could go on and on. I started this thread more or less to see if others responded that gas had gone up in their area. I hadnt thought of labor day but i am sure that will drive it up also. The state of LA declared an emergency to make sure every one knows that there is a bad hurricane looming that could take a turn. While in LA for a shoot today i noticed gas stations very busy as people are taking this serious. If it takes a turn to us, you will really see a spike in prices. For those of you not familiar with gulf oil operations, all of them are on standby right now awaiting word tomorrow of whether they will be shutting in or not. All it will take is a turn to the north and all of oil/gas operations will be shut in the gulf of mexico. Then you will really see a price hike. Lets hope dean fades away. Also, i havent blamed bush for the price hikes, but have you seen our president do anything about it? I too have done something about prices as i have cut my driving severly on my personal vehicles but i also have a company truck that i dont have to pay for gas in it. Oh yeah, one last note, gas went up another six cents today at the big yellow where i filled up this morning. Happy shooting. Bob..

16. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

One of the most annoying things about gas prices spiking when the Gulf Coast is threatened with a major storm is that the United States gets more oil from Canada than any other country in the world.

Tim

17. bkms

bkms Member

Jerry, did i say that? no, but as an oilman, bush is making alot of money and dick is too. The point i am making is, A. refinery fire in pascagoula B. major hurricane possibly looming. The news has been hot on both topics and talking gas prices. Now in two days, gas spikes up 12 cents! Heck they barely have come down from the all time high and already going back up. And if yall are thinking i am democrat, theres no way in Hell i would vote for a democrat, period, cut and dry. Sad to say, we will probably have a demo for pres next time, lets hope not. Bob....

18. David Knapp

David Knapp TS Member

Hoosier Daddy They did not have to divest their stock in oil companies. Their investments were moved to a blind trust. They are not supposed to know what their money is invested in.

Dave

19. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

...and you know the real oil men will gladly help george & dick out as soon as they hit the private sector again.

20. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Sammie,
    Perhaps you are not that stupid, the price of oil does not readily follow the supply/demand/price curves most other commodities do. Hoosier Daddy is closer to the mark, for all intent and purposes, the oil companies can -within limits - charge pretty much what they want knowing there will be little change in demand. Even at $4/gal won't change demand that much. We don't really have the infrastructure for mass transit in place to deal with it, people do not want to give up the convenience of driving whenever they want and geographically we are not as densely populated as Europe further reducing the benefits of mass transit.

The other side of the argument is what oil company is going to make the most money (the real bottom line and driver for those that believe the free market is strongly in charge of gasoline pricing)? Is it Arco who usually had the lowest prices (in the Seattle area), or is Exxon/Chevron/Shell who are closer to the high end? Then there is the question as to why is it the towns closer to a refinery higher in priced than those further away? Then does it help to have crude oil on the commodities market, opening the price of the product to every speculator that thinks they see a problem in the supply chain?

Think the oil companies are in collusion? Try to prove it while the oil companies obfuscate pricing in the myriads of diverse markets across the country.

Just some food for thought,

Mike