1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gas port advice for auto shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Socko124, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Socko124

Socko124 TS Member

I just thought I may post a bit of advice on here for everyone who shoots an auto loader. At some point when you are playing around finding your perfect load, or have you barrel ported and backbored etc... You will eventually come across a situation where you may need to open your gas ports (as many of you already know well I am sure). We all come across it at some point, and before I knew any better I had opened up the gas ports in all of my 1100s to help function at the suggestion of one of the older guys at the club as I am sure so many of you have done the same. Well, I used the normal method of just finding the next bit in my craftsman set and open up the holes one size at a time until desired operation is reached.
    Well, that was a long time ago, and I am a professional gunsmith now for a rather large company, eand I thought I may lend some advice that may save you a whole lot of heartache. I have recently have had several customer barrels in the shop with broken drill bits in the ports where someone had tried to open them, the bit got caught and snapped off blind deep into the hole. I had to remove these (which is really just hit or miss whether it will come out or not) and normally a fairly hefty fee the customer will not soon forget is involved. This situation can be avoided in almost all cases with a few simple tips.

Do not use power, a drill will only cause a bit to break more quickly if it grabs and flexes. Use a pin vice, or similar to hold the bit and turn it by hand so you can feel what you are doing.

Although drill bits can be used with some success, you should really use a reamer of the correct size instead chucked up in a tap handle to be used by hand. THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT FOR BERETTA SHOOTERS!!!!! Remington barrels can be done with a drill bit if you absolutely have to, but beretta barrels cannot because they are chrome lined. A drill bit will grab the chrome liner and snap off every time. Drill bits also have a tendency to walk into places you probably don't want them whereas a reamer will open an existing hole accurately. Remember... Drill bit are for making holes, readers are for enlarging existing holes without issue.
    If you are nervous about any of this, send it to a gunsmith, such as Briley, and they can perform this operation for you and save all kinds of potential trouble. I get paid to fix the mistakes regarding this all the time, but I just really hope that we can get the word out there on the right way to do this job on the more modern gun designs so everyone won't set themselves up for trouble.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Keep in mind that early 1187 Special Purpose shotguns had chrome lined bores. Unfortunately Remington discontinued this feature.

3. browntown

browntown TS Member

Two questions:
    - Rumor is those holes in the barrel are originally made with a edm machine. True?

- I have an old remington 1100 20g "magnum" model. The barrel is for 3" shells and only has one gas hole instead of two like most 1100 lt-20 barrels I've seen. It is inconsistent in working the action with factory 7/8 23/4" loads. Would it be a candidate for reaming or is it possible to get a second hole drilled?

4. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Don't know about you....but, I much rather mess with the return spring than the gas ports....

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Never having to enlarge the gas port holes in any semi-auto I've ever owned and shot, I think I do understand why some do. Light shot weight charges coupled with low chamber pressures can't cycle the guns action. If that pressure is low in the chambers, it's real low when the wad base passes by the gas ports a foot or so down the barrel? If drilled out to a much larger size, high pressure loads could destroy the action from too much pressure. I call that shade-tree gunsmithing.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.