1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GAS OUT MAY 15 th

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by slickrc, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slickrc

slickrc TS Member

In 1997 a gas out, where people refrained from buying gas for 1 day and gas prices dropped $.30 overnight. Who knows it might work again, seems like we have to do something. Pass it on!

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Utter nonsense.

3. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I'm in... I wont buy gas that whole week. I hope there is a big following.

I just attended a lubrication class this past week. It was put on by MOBIL 1.
    It was very informative. But at one point someone brought up the high cost of gas. The instructor compared gas prices to MILK and Maple Syrup. They goes on to say since we are paying more per gallon for MILK and Maple Syrup wqe are getting a real deal on Gas. I asked him what farmer can he think of that has had a BILLION dollar profit in any quarter of his life. As he tried in vane to defend his stance he mentioned: research, drilling, refineries, 10 barrels to get one barrel of stock. I told him PROFIT IS PROFIT.......PERIOD.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've complied with a number of such "gas-outs" beginning in the "crisis" of the '70s and I've never seen prices drop one cent. A gas-out simply means what you would have bought today will get bought the next day or soon and the dealer's week will look normal. The refiners won't notice anything either since purchases from dealers will still be within one day or so of that expected. Good luck....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. jester-the-molester

jester-the-molester TS Member

Unless you are able to do a "gas-out" for an entire week, it don't mean a damn thing....

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The only person you can really affect with a boycott of some sort is the retailer. For the most part, he's an innocent middle man paying what the refiners charge and offering it at a price he can hope to attract you. The refinery, in a "gas-out" will continue to add their product to the pipe line to be delivered to a central place where trucks are loaded from the same spigot regardless of who's fuel is in the pipe line at any given moment. The most effective boycott, if you will, is for a significant number of retail buyers to simply avoid certain retail stations like Shell, Chevron, Exxon, et alii and then you basically are only creating a hardship on that brand of retailer while the refinery continues to pump gas into the pipe line which you will buy at some other station. A "gas-out" and even a boycott of a certain brand basically affects only the retailer and he has very little say in the price of fuel.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. birdshooter

birdshooter TS Member

This is a hoax. See link above.

birdshooter-

8. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Good idea!!

If you don't buy gas for a week, they'll be more for me!!

Mike

9. mastergunner

mastergunner TS Member

nonsense won't work. You just have to buy it later.

On the 16th just raise gas prices 30 cents for all of you and then drop it back down after a couple of days.

10. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

LOL...slickrc and shootrman, you guys are funny. Bob Dodd is, as usual, thoughtful and well reasoned.

As I've put on this board many, many, times...the price of a gallon of gas has very little, really, to do with the price of oil. It's all supply and demand - you have the demand, and the refineries have the supply.

You want gas prices to go down? A LOT? build a couple three more refineries around the country. You'll see prices down 25 cents a gallon almost immediately upon completion.

Problem? Yeah, there's problems. The liberals and the tree huggers won't let us build anymore. And the folks who want more refineries are NIMBY.

11. earlsue

earlsue TS Member

You people are so damn negative, why not try the Gas out? Whats to lose? If it doesn't work what are we out of? I for one will not buy gas the 15th.

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Easy answer, earlsue, "Been there, done it, wrote the book, still wear the T-shirt and still nothing happens." The only thing that will get a modicum of attention is to drive a heck of a lot less; as I drive away in the diesel towing the 5th wheel.....Bob Dodd

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

earlsue,

1. Because 90% of the other folks won't do it because they either don't care, or they know it has no effect.

2. See reason number 1.

First of all, I'd bet all my money there was never any 30 cent decrease in the price of gas "as a result of" any previous gas-out. That's nonsense.

Are you going to drive less? If not, what's the point? If you don't buy gas today, so what? You'll buy it tomorrow or the day after. Its not like there is a direct pipeline from the refineries to the gas stations that would stop because nobody bought gas one day. No, there are huge storage tanks in the ground under the gas station that get flled periodically.

Here's a novel idea.

Use less gas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.