1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gas-Lead & attendance @ state shoots

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by littleorangedots, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littleorangedots

littleorangedots TS Member

Just wondering ! How much has the price of gas, since it over $4.00 a gal and the high price of lead, has affected the attendance at the state shoots this year ? and How much do you folks think it will change the grands ?

2. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

well, Alaska threw almost 9,000 more targets this year versus last year - that's a 10% increase over 2007. And we had at least 25 out of state folks this year, versus about 15 on a 'normal' year.

Trap has always been an 'older' guys sport - plenty of retirees and empty nest types that have money. I don't see that changing.

What I am starting to see is a number of new shooters - we've signed up at least 8 new ATA members at the club this year, and our average monthly shoot is only about 25 folks, so that's a BIG increase. They have been overwhelmingly male, age 30-40 and apparently have enough disposable income to take up the game at a time when most of us would agree its expensive to do so - at least compared to a couple years ago.

I think the marginal shooter - someone who's just hanging on economically - is going to be a casualty here. But the flip side of that is that folks who have their financial house in order are going to be drawn to the game - the same thing is happening in hunting. There's supposedly a huge influx of young professional types with no previous hunting experience who are flocking to elk hunting out west, pheasants in SD, etc.

JMHO.

3. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

NJ was very close to the same as last year. Taking into account we lost some SCTP squads we did well this year.

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

How many times do you want to beat up on this subject. It has been discussed ad-nausem.

Don

5. littleorangedots

littleorangedots TS Member

Thanks Jeff P your reply is very interesting/ I am a ATA member but I haven't shot none for a while, (Health reasons) along with the high cost of things. So I haven't attended any shoots this yrs..or even shot any targets much in 2 yrs.

I live in Kentucky and was kind of hoping to get a reply from Ky or Indiana shooter's as to how the state shoots went back this direction.

As for DON: Smart Mouth!! I ran a search and didn't find any thing posted on my question. So I run the post.. Have a great day.

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Ohio had been the only state shoot I heard was up, glad there were others!

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It all depends where you do your shopping. I stopped at an Outdoor World store yesterday and they were charging $60 a bag for shot and $5.99 for 100 Winchester 209 primers. If I buy the stuff at my club it's half the price. HMB

8. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Indiana, Illinois & Michigan were all down. Don't forget $30.00 a hundred for targets as another cause. Of course, trapshooting is not nor has it ever been a poor man's game. Twenty years ago, I was told it costs $1.00 every time you pull the trigger. I don't want to know what it is today

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The bigger shoots won't be affected too much I'd guess. The little shoots at smaller clubs will feel the effects first. Hap

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I just got a pleasant surprise. I drove by a gas station - okay, they don't exist any more; it was a Hess mini-mart - this morning and regular was .3899 and fuel was being delivered. I planned to stop on the way home and thought about turning around because the price was certain to go up but kept driving. When I stopped on the way home a half-hour later, it was .3679!!!

Wow - it felt like I was getting a bargain!

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.