1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gas Consumption problem....What do you think?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Luckyman, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I know that this is completely off topic but I wanted to get some opinions....

Why hasn't anyone proposed a solution for our Gas/Oil consumption issues that involves making every house hold pay for a certain volume of gas at a set price based on consumption.....For example.....When your household consumes and exceeds the level of gallons of gas at that set price you would move up in comsumption rate and pay more for the next X number of gallons at whatever that set price is....In short the more gas a household consumes the more money you would pay per gallon....This would make everyone a little more aware of their consumption and I guarntee that you would not see as many huge gas guzzling cars and SUV's and it would force the Auto industry to manufacturer more econimical vehicles because that's where the demand would go....It just seems to make sense....All of the rich folks that have 15 cars and all the money in the world should not have a problem paying the most per gallon because they are using the most....

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I get gas every time I eat beans! Seriously......what you are proposing might be a good idea, but what we really need to get serious about is kissing carbon fuels goodbye and getting with the program on Hydrogen fuels! Theres a hell of alot of Hydrogen available.....enough to fuel the human race till we become fossils ourselves!

3. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

As one of the rich folks you mentioned, I must object.

As it stands now, the more gas anyone buys, the higher their gas bill. Capish?
    My gas bill is already too high each month...I may have to sell 10 or 12 cars.

Who would be keeping track of each household's gas usage? You? Me? :) Or might it be the honor system??? :) :)

4. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I couldn't agree more..This concept would cause People to take a harder look at Hybrids and for vehicles that use alternative fuel and the demand for the cars would force the Auto Makers to develop them more quickly....

5. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I am talking Gasoling not Natural Gas....And you could easily keep track though your credit card purchases or some other gas card...Very easy to do...

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you travel around the world- you will quickly see- there is no other nation that is so dependent on individual motor transport - as far as distance and percent of the population as the US is

We are handicapped by that-

We need alternative vehicles- but we dont have the natural area or resources to make them viable at this time

Iceland has huge geothermal resources that they can use to generate essentially free electricity which is then used to pull gasses from the air- namely hydrogen--

It might be very very bad 30 years for america if we dont solve our dependence issue

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I think we do have the resources Gene but we are slow to adopt due to politics...Arnold has already started the Hydrogen fuel station infrastructure in California....

8. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Sounds like class warfare at its basest.

Market demands for SUV's and other larger vehicles aren't just for people to have big vehicles. With your scenario, a family of four would pay more for fuel than a family of two, just because they have four people. Now, do you have a household of one driving an Expedition, paying less for gas than a household which has a minivan and a Taurus? The usage for the second household probably exceeds that of the firest household. Why should the household of two pay more per gallon?

Your proposal amounts to rationing by the government. And with rationing comes corruption on a massive scale. And what about black markets? They always arise when this type of voodoo economics occurs.

Remember the Soviet Union? They had annual shortfalls in their harvests, manufacturing; the entire supply chain.

The problem we have is that the U.S. Government has created an artificial shortfall in oil. Oil companies can't drill in ANWR, off the Gulf Coast (China is preparing to help the Cubans do this now), off the California coast; and denies companies the access needed to get at oil shale deposits.

You trust government to set limits, when they can't help but buy $600 hammers, and $2,000 toilet seats? The government can't even economically buy office supplies.

Dennis

9. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

You definitly have a poin but a household of 4 does not necessarily comsume more gas than a household of two....What if the household of two has more cars and drives more than the household of 4? Bottom line, the state and local government dictates prices now based on supply and demand as well as tax structure right? Why should I pay more for gas if I consume less than everyone else?

10. pendennis

What happens to the cash purchase? There is absolutely no way to track retail usage, and rely on people to accurately report their gasoline usage. Why do you think that state governments are pleading with the Feds to help them collect sales taxes on internet and catalogue purchases? Most states having income taxes also have a box to fill in so you can voluntarily pay sales/use taxes on those purchases. How many folks actually fill in the box, much less the honest amount?

PS - Who's footing the bill for the hydrogen fuel stations? That money doesn't come from the tooth fairy.

Dennis

11. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Nonsense! You want to put the government in charge of how much we pay for gasoline? Think about it, there would be so many exemptions from the law, including members of congress, that it would be totally unfair and penalize only the ordinary citizens. Sounds like a system that would have been thought up in Soviet Russia prior to their demise due to the weight of their economic system. The free market should determine the price.

12. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

You could easily come up with a system to track retail purchase even with cash...You could have a universal card or transponder that you would insert to activate the pump and it would record your usage in a database and you would get a monthly, daily report that could easily be accessed on-line...Similar to the I-Pass we use her in IL...It could easily be done!

13. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Does't state and local government determine the price of gas now through BS taxation? The way gas is priced now is a complete joke!!!

14. willing

willing Member

Don't we already have a "gas guzzler" tax on some vehicles? Just increase it!!

Bill

15. pendennis

Luckyman, if you think it can be done, then let no one get in your way. Design and sell the system.

Oh yes, don't forget things like temperature adjustments, spillages, etc. What happens to someone who doesn't have your "I-Pass" card? Do you deny their purchase? What happens when, not if, the "universal card or transponder" get counterfeited? That will happen ten minutes after they are issued. What happens if they get lost, and someone doesn't report it immediately?

What makes your or anyone else's need greater than mine?

Altruism is nice. If you want to pay more for gasoline, send a check to Exxon or Shell.

Dennis

16. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

And what part of commie, californicate, did this brain storm come from?

Tom R.

17. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

What is the difference between this and the Carbon Footprint tax? The more Carbon you pump into the atmosphere the more you pay...Under this model you may be paying less for your gas not more...You only pay more if you consume more and pollute more....This is better than making everyone pay over what soon may be $5.00 per gallon soon!!!

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Who pays for the "system" used to track gas purchases. I'll tell you. The TAXPAYERS!

How much would that cost?

LOTS!!!

Ultimately, what would it help?

Nothing!

And hydrogen powered cars are somebody's pipe dream until and unless the electricity used for electrolysis of the hydrogen from water comes from a renewable source like nuclear.

19. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Wow are you narrow minded timb99....We already have this process down for removing Hydrogen from water! We have had if for years and if you don't think it's will be viable than why are we building fueling stations in California...BTW what is your solution?

BTW what the F are the taxpayers paying for now? If we eliminated half the BS taxes we are paying now it could easily be funded....Hell we are going to have come up with a system to track illegals...Who is going to pay for that? Oh yeah the taxpayers!

20. old george

old george TS Member

I can't even estimate the bureauocracy necessary to administer these laws.I remember the rationing during WW2 ! What a fiasco that was !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.