1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GAS---BUY NONE--MAY 15th !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ks5shooter, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Problem is that we will have to buy it on the 14th or the 16th and there will be twice the amount sold on those dates....Don

2. rumplestilskin

rumplestilskin TS Member

How about not driving to a shoot that way we save the gas and save the shells and maybe they will both come down in price.

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I guess I'l have to buy enough for my tractors and trucks on the 14th!!

4. southpark

southpark TS Member

Stop voting for leftist representatives who won't allow market competition through diverse drilling, refinery construction, loose formulation requirements, nuclear reactors, or even competitive construction of neighbourhood gas stations.

If you are blaming the oil companies you probably aren't clear on how this sort of thing works.

For once, I will spare everyone my usual verbosity, but if anyone is truly interested in market economics 101 I will try to be helpful.

5. biggreen

biggreen TS Member

To be an effective boycott, less gas must be used, not refraining from buying on one certain day.
    Problem is Americans wont stop their usage and they will keeping raising til we go over the edge.

6. brian5003

brian5003 TS Member

I disagree bankrupt Citgo! Don't buy Citgo for a week and see what happens.

Brian

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I also don't think a one-day boycott will help. Any publicized one-day action will be ineffective because the industry involved is well aware of it, is expecting it and knows that the next day's sales Will make up for it. And let's face it, gasoline unfortunately is something most of us cannot earn our living without, so simply stopping buying it completely (which would be effective) is something we cannot do.

But the same can't be said for lead shot. None of us HAS to buy any because none of HAS to shoot. The price of any commodity is controlled by the supply of it and the demand for it. We have nothing to do with the supply of shot but we sure have everything to do with the demand for it. I think we have a choice - continue to shoot as much as we always did now and be financially forced to stop shooting later or cut back on our shooting now so we CAN shoot later.

The oil companies have us well trained. Every time gasoline prices increase, we bitch and complain. Then they lower the price about half as much as they increased it and we're almost thankful. Around here, $2.85 per gallon is about par and we actually appreciate it because we've seen prices approaching $3.00 a gallon.

Let's not fall into that same trap with shot. Let's do something NOW instead of waiting until a hundred-dollar bill buys two bags of shot and sales tax. If we no longer can afford it then and we stop buying it, they'll lower the price "all the way" to $35.00 a bag and we'll be happy. I'd be a lot happier at $17 or $20 a bag - wouldn't you?

See there - shot's gone from $14 to $30 in two years and here I am saying I'd be happy with $20!

Let's send the message NOW that we won't pay those prices by cutting back on shooting and our shot purchases. Your ability to be able to afford to shoot later depends upon it!

Ed

8. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"I guess I'l have to buy enough for my tractors and trucks on the 14th!!"</blockquote>

Heck, I'll wait 'til the 15th when there won't be any lines at the pumps!

Mike

9. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

KS5 is corect. If everyone fills up on the 14th, it won't matter if they close on the 15th.

SURPRISE.....gas companies and gas station owners get these emails too!!!!My brother in law owns a station and he said he will be closed on the 15th to go
    Striper fishing!

What can work is if people stop FILLING theit tanks to the top. If you absolutely cannot use less, then you should STORE less. There are millions of
    tanks out there on rv's, boats in drydock, farm tanks, etc etc etc that
    are full. When you need gas for your car or truck, if possible, buy just enough to get you through the day. It is a pain in the neck to do this, and some folks NEED to fill up, but most others do it by habit or for convenience.

This will shift the amount of fuel stored by US, to THEIR storage tanks. When
    THEIR tanks are FULL

When THEIR tanks are FULL...the price goes DOWN. When OUR tanks are kept FULL
    We have a "SELLERS MARKET" and the high prices that go with it.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Storage.........not a unique concept. the gas shortage of the mid 70's(rmemeber no gas on Sunday, fist fights in the lines, etc?) was a totally contrived event.

At the time there was not enough storage for the gasoline on had. Tankers were lined up offshore waiting to unload, and I personally witnessed long abandoned stations having their underground tanks utilized.

Some oil company genius solved the problem by realizing how much storage space (in half empty vehicle tanks across the nation) was not being utilized. The answer was to create a "shortage". It didn't take long for everyone to panic and fill their tanks.

We sure are a bunch of chumps, aren't we?

HM

11. jester-the-molester

jester-the-molester TS Member

What a crock.... Want to make a dent? Don't buy gas for a week.

12. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Well, I don't think I'll join in unless I don't need gas on the 15th or 16th. If you really want to do something, drive something that will require less gas all the time.

all the best,
    john

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What a dumb ass idea.

Here's one that might make an impact.

Use less gas. Not on the 15th, but from now on.

Sell your SUV and buy a car (yes, a dreaded car) that gets good gas mileage, and drive it less.

14. skip

skip Member

During the early 70's I delivered gasoline for CITGO, back then it was called Citi Services. I remember most gasoline station in-ground tanks were between 5000 and 10,000 gallons, not a lot of gasoline for cars. A ten thousand gallon station tank might serve 600 to 700 cars. For a busy gas station location with several pump islands ten thousand gallons per day was not un-heard of.

For instance if I were going to deliver to an Exxon/Mobile station, the counter guy's at the CITGO terminal would hand out a glass vial of magic liquid to pour “equally” into each gasoline compartment of the tanker, that would turn CITGO gasoline magically into Mobil/Exxon gasoline. It was pour some in this compartment, a little in that compartment and if there was any left, into that compartment. Now a day with computerized bottom loading computers do it. If the entire load were for one in-ground tank the mix ratio would work out. More often than not the deliveries were split between two in-ground tanks.

It was the same with diesel fuel. In the summer months we delivered straight #2 clear heating oil to stations to sell as diesel fuel. In the early winter months we loaded ten percent kerosene the rest with clear home heating oil, it was a pain because you had to move the truck from one loading station to another. It was called a truck blend because the motion of the truck would mix or “blend” the two oils together on the way to the delivery. As the weather got colder the mix changed to twenty percent kerosene eighty percent home heating oil. That was diesel fuel.

Today if the gas station is owned privately the owner can usually purchase gasoline from sources other than, (as an example) Mobil/Exxon. So don’t think when you drive in to fill up your fuel tank at a Mobile/Exxon station your getting Mobil/Exxon gasoline. In the greater Boston area it could be CITGO gasoline.

I believe if no one visits a CITGO/Mobile/Exxon station for a day or two, truck deliveries would get out of sync with the real world. If it continued longer I believe it would affect the ship traffic that delivers to the coastal terminals.

The major oil companies claim supply and demand is the cause for higher prices. Lets give them a taste of their own medicine. I only put twenty dollars at a time in my tank instead of forty or sixty dollars. They can store my gasoline and I gain the benefit of a lighter vehicle and better gas mileage. Even if a large number of the population only purchased a half tank I think it would have an effect. Let their tanks overflow.

I still believe we have some control in this world by voting with our pocketbook.

"Cash Is King" always was, always will be.

15. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Timb is right we have to simply use less gas! It is the one item that Americans can do together to force concessions at the pump. If your content on driving a huge SUV, or a dually truck then you should be willing topay at the pump.

The federal government needs to mandate a standarize blended fuel. The refineries are forced to process now over 50 different gasoline blends ( state regulations) that are costly. They also need to fund and cut the red tape for entrepenuers that are willing to build refineries.

There are many programs that will streamline the process from the oil well to the gasoline pump but the program with the biggest overall effect is the average American conserving fuel costs on their own.

Rick

16. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

How about we stop paying the tax on gasoline. Here it is about 50 cents a gallon plus 25 cents sales tax. So, 75 cents on every gallon goes to the government. It used to go for freeways, now it goes in to the general fund to pay for social programs. What a bunch of bull.

Mike

17. Ertz

Ertz Member

Check out the link above. This is not true.

18. southpark

southpark TS Member

I knew my post would have no effect on you guys.

How did food get to your grocery store?

Oil.

How did you get to the store to pick up the food?

Oil.

How did their make the plastic in the myriad plastic items you own, use, and rely on, not to mention all the companies in the production and supply chain?

Oil.

Cutting down your use of oil like that would solve the problem is like saying we should drink less water to decrease our water bill.

Energy consumption gives America the lifestyle we enjoy and while alternative energy sources are great, but in the meantime WE NEED OIL AND IT MUST FLOW.

Attacking oil demand is only going to cripple our economy in other ways. I'm literally dumbfounded that so many Americans and trapshooters don't understand that.

The price of gas will go down, without hurting our economy, when the supply of oil goes up.

What you SHOULD be interested in is not destroying your country's economy or hurting your lifestyle but, rather, trying to reduce barriers to competition in supplying oil and gas.

As a single example of a concept that few are aware of, did you guys know they pump oil in California and refine it here but gas pushes $4.00 here rather than $3.00 as you can find in smaller states far removed from oil production?

Did you ever stop to think why?

It is just one example of how the system works, but understanding it would probably serve to broaden one's mind to grasp more aspects of how the oil and gas market functions as a whole.

Another area for research, and which is little understood by the average American, is how speculation in the oil futures market affects prices.

Sigh.

I'm not my usual bellicose self here because I don't expect you guys to know better like in other threads, but in this day and age I believe you should all make an effort to understand so that you can vote appropriately.

In fact, I have no doubt that many of you would end up voting for Hillary because she promises to steal profits from oil companies, in total disregard of the fact that this would only serve to discourage the generation of a greater supply of oil which would lower the prices you pay. She claims, claims mind you, that the money would go to researching alternate energy sources. Of course high energy prices encourage the private sector in investigate alternate energy sources themselves as long as there is profit in it. Sigh, again.

Anyway, please give it some REAL effort, not something like not filling your tank on a certain day.

While not necessarily a market primer, the Frank Herbert book "Dune" would be an entertaining introduction to how important oil is to our society, how it will shape the future of the world, and perhaps keep you from saying anything as foolish as "NO WAR FOR OIL".

Myself, and the rest of the country, is counting on you guys.

19. southpark

southpark TS Member

Great point Stephen! Then you can cheer when prices go up!

Here's a news article from today that some may find surprising:

MERRILL, Wis. - A service station that offered discounted gas to senior citizens and people supporting youth sports has been ordered by the state to raise its prices.

ADVERTISEMENT

Center City BP owner Raj Bhandari has been offering senior citizens a 2 cent per gallon price break and discount cards that let sports boosters pay 3 cents less per gallon.

But the state Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection says those deals violate Wisconsin's Unfair Sales Act, which requires stations to sell gas for about 9.2 percent more than the wholesale price.

Bhandari said he received a letter from the state auditor last month saying the state would sue him if he did not raise his prices. The state could penalize him for each discounted gallon he sold, with the fine determined by a judge.

Bhandari, who bought the station a year ago, said he worries customers will think he stopped the discounts because he wants to make more money. About 10 percent of his customers had used the discount cards.

Dale Van Camp said he bought a $50 card to support the local youth hockey program. It would have saved him about $100 per year on gas, he said.

20. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Wisconsin has some of the worst laws in regards to gasoline requirements in the country. It's true that the retailers are mandated to sell gasoline at a minimum % over the wholesalers. That is the law! Counties like Milwaukee, Dodge, Racine and Kenosha are forced to use "reformulated gas" which is very expensive and runs approximately .13 cents a gallon higher than service stations outside those counties. Then tack on one of the highest state tax charges in the country and thats why gas in this fine state is so high!

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.