1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gas & alcohol

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Ross, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a good method to remove the alcohol from gasoline??? My outboard motor--lawnmower--etc. doesn't like it. There used to be a couple stations that carried pure gas but I can't find any now. Thanks! Ross Puls

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

There are additives, but nothing that removes it.

ss

3. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Maybe airplane fuel could be substituted . Just thinking ?

4. kenf

kenf Active Member

The only alternative I know of right now is VP, who markets ethanol free small engine gas that is 94 octane, unleaded and ethanol free. Downside is its about $10/gallon.

Here's a link:
    http://www.seffuels.com/

5. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

I use a non oxegenated 91 octane fuel for small engines and antique cars in all my small engines. No need to add any additives.

6. Ray Brasser

Ray Brasser Member

You can google "ethanol free gas" and get a couple of links to websites that list gas stations that sell ethanol free gas. One of the sites is historicvehicle.org and the other is pure-gas.org. If someone sells it around you it will be listed. Here in TN we have lots of stations.

Or you could try StaBil gas stabilizer (available at any garden equipment shop). It doesn't remove the alcohol but it does keep it from oxidizing.

My local Stihl dealer says 90% of his spring tool-maintenance work is due to ethanol gas being left in garden tools over the winter. The ethanol will start to oxidize in 30 days and really screw things up.

7. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

What Ray says.

8. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

It all depends on the state you live in and maybe even the city. Some require alcohol in all gas.

9. psfive

psfive Member

To remove the alcohol from gas mix some water into it and agitate. The alcohol will absorb the water and settle to the bottom. Siphon the gas off the top. The separation will happen rather quickly so you can get it done without it taking all day. This will work I promise. Do it in a clear container so you can see the division line. If it is 10% alcohol be sure to use enough water. PM me if you need more details. Paul in Nebraska.

10. TC

TC TS Member

Is there any way to determine if there is any alcohol in a sample of gasoline? I never buy mid grade but have gotten some really poor mileage after filling at a particular station.

11. psfive

psfive Member

Take a small sample of the gas. Get a small glass jar. Put a line on the jar. Add water to the line add gas and shake. If the water level is higher than the line where it was before you have alcohol in the gas. It's that simple. This is how we test for alcohol except our tester is a bit more complex. Our tester will tell us the percent of alcohol in the gas. Paul in Nebraska.

12. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Thanks to all who responded especially psfive, I'm going to try that. Ross Puls

13. psfive

psfive Member

Ross

Glad I could help. I work in the petroleum industry. Paul in Nebraska.

14. dward

dward Member

It's been a big problem down in Florida. All marinas sell ethanol free gas if you have one near. On our boat I installed better filters ahead of the motors too. I also add Stabil when the motors/tanks will sit for a while.

But I bet if you call around a bit, you'll find a station with ethanol free "recreational" gas. Ethanol is a great scouring agent, and when it's put into tanks that have been stored and developed a "varnish" coating, it will break the varnish loose and cause a lot of filtration plugging problems on motors. I went to 2 micron racor filters on our Yamaha outboards down in FL and change them more often. I also make sure to never put gas with ethanol in them anymore.

On cars where we turn the gas over so often, it keeps things pretty clean within the fuel system.

Good Luck - Big Dan

15. build4u

build4u Member

some marinas here in Michigan sell ethanol free gas. Some of the big older cruisers had fiberglass gas tanks and the ethanol breaks down the resins to a liquid form. When it burns in the engines it builds up like a terrible carbon on the valves and takes out the engine. My friend bought a new real large Husqavarna gas concrete saw and burned up the motor because the ethanol fuel does not hold its octane rating for long. Got a letter in the mail from the manufacturer a week after it died about the octane issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does alcohol cause trap gas