1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Garmin GPS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Okie 1, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okie 1

Okie 1 TS Member

What Garmin GPS do I get for Traveling

2. Jason B

Jason B Member

I finally gave in and bought a Garmin nuvi 255w a couple of weeks ago. Fought it for years, didn't want another charger to plug in and more wires, plus didn't need another woman telling me where to turn and how fast to go all the time, already got one of those in the passenger seat most of the time. I always have just printed maps from online, figured my next truck would have one built in at the factory. But I finally gave in and made the purchase.

Only regret so far with this model is that I waited so long in the non-GPS dark ages. I just looked online and it is still on sale at Best Buy for $119.99, regularly $179.99. You can pay a lot more for one with "traffic reporting" but I don't think I'd use a feature like that much. Also can get real high dollar models for commerical trucks/trailer pulling where they will route you on "trailer friendly roads" but other than that I couldn't find much to justify jumping into the $300+ price range. You can also pay more for a bigger screen but the 4.3" on this nuvi is plenty big for me. I don't recommend a lot of things because as soon as I do, someone will hate it and blame me. If you're looking for simple to operate and inexpensive, I don't hesitate to recommend this nuvi 255w.

My favorite feature is the "arrival time", makes driving places you already know how to get to challenging to shave a few minutes off the arrival time. Plus now when I'm driving home from trap clubs & duckhunting I can tell my wife EXACTLY what time I "might" be home!

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I have a Nuvi 760 and it is a very nice unit with more options than I'll ever use.

ss

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I have had a Garmin nuvi 780 for about a year and like it. The unit provides voice for route directions as well the on-screen map. It also provides the speed limit, the arrival time and counts down the distance to the next turn in tenths of miles. The 780 also has built-in options for off-road (wilderness travel, hiking and large parking lots) and marine use.

As I recall, it cost about $200 on Amazon. Garmin was rated as the best GPS manufacturer (there are differences in routing instructions and on-screen map quality). Avoid Tom-Tom.

Rollin

5. snkypete

snkypete Member

I have a Garmin 260, two or three years old. I found it difficult to get map up grades. It will not always give you the most direct route and occasionally it will give you an incorrect direction. Other than those things, it seems to be a good unit but I have not comparred it to other brands.

6. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Eddie, I just checked on the updates from Garmin, showed $70, is that what you have been paying?

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

I decided I will never update my Tom-Tom. After 3-4 years I can buy a new one with the money saved.

Roads do not change much - at least in my experience. I may not always find the latest McDonald's location, but I can live with that.

Hard to justify an "on board" system when you can get good portable systems for under $200 that you can use in all your vehicles; and take on trips if you rent a car at your destination.

Don Verna

8. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

We pruchased a 255WS last summer for a 19 day roud trip through 7 states and 3 Canadian provinces. Worked flawlessly. Made the trip much more enjoyable. Made finding our lodgings, resturants etc very easy.

Charlie

9. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

just got my 765T from amazon. 180 dollars refurbished. garmin is the best company in the business and takes care of any problem quickly and they are happy to deal with you, only problem is the wait time on the phone is long sometimes. they will also answer internet questions within 2 days. they gave me a spare power cord and a dash holder for free because i asked. remember ask and ye shall receive. motordoc

10. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Bought a Garmin 255W before a trip out to Oklahoma from southeast Tennessee last September. Hunted dove for 10 days anywhere from 10 to 50 miles from my motel in the middle of nowhere (farm roads). Kept my motel as the home location and the 255W got me back every time with no problems. Then used the 255W on a 6500 mile trip from southeast Tennessee up through New England and into three Canadian provinces. Had a few areas where the roads were not shown on the screen but the unit always got me back to civilization. Only problem has been with the unit taking me through some back alleys and small streets that were not the fastest route when on the "Fastest Route" setting. Scared to put it on "Shortest Route". Might be going up someone's driveway. Should have gotten one years ago.

DoubleAuto

11. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I don't know why anyone would say to avoid Tomtom.

I bought one three years ago, the least expensive model, and have used it often with no problems. Drove from Florida to the Grand twice and took the scenic way up and back to see various places/people with absolutely no problems. Drove to Pennsylvania and back once and cut off the main route several times for gun shows in different states. No problem.

I MAY upgrade to one that gives the street names rather than just saying turn right or left. I don't really need it, but it would be even more convenient.

Garmin is fine, but so is Tomtom.

Bob

12. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

For those of you with a Garmin nuvi, have you had trouble understanding the pronunciations of street names?

Rollin

13. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

No problem understanding the name pronunciation. You have several voice choices on the 255W. Now every so often it does pronounce names like "Chickamauga", "Adalusia" and most names in Louisiana kind of funny but you understand what they mean.

DoubleAuto

14. Rick (Pa)

Rick (Pa) TS Member

On Garmin web site you can update your unit with lifetime maps (upto 4 updates per year) For $120.00 Or you can go on ebay and get the same update card for $94.00 It is for the life of the gps only.

15. Tryin

Tryin TS Member

I recently bought a Garmin Nuvi 1300 for $180 at Walmart. I never was good at directions and just didn't go before. Now, all I need is an address. The Garmin is great. Only regret is that I waited so long to make the purchase.

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I too am looking to finally buy a GPS so all the comments are very helpful. I saw some reviews on the net and the Garmin rates way higher than any other. The 780 seems to be the #1 rated and it is available on Amazon for $179 new

17. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I have the Nuvi 265W, which is essentially the same thing. Good GPS, easily improving on the much more expensive Street Pilot it replaced.

The most important feature of traffic reporting is that you can turn it the hell off. I made an early morning trip from Chicago over to Niles, MI for a club shoot. It told me to get off the Chicago Skyway about 4 times to avoid "construction traffic", routing me through city streets in some of the ugliest real estate in northern Indiana. Since I literally had the road to myself, I ignored it and turned it off. I haven't had the urge to ever turn it on again. It's worthless.

In all other respects, it's a pretty good GPS.

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Recalculating. HMB

19. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Shootlow, that's probably because you live in a strange town. lol

HauxLow!

20. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

shootlow: maybe you should check your settings on the unit.......my wife took ours out on a bike ride one day and put it on the bike or local road setting, and the next day it was taking us all over the countryside until we realized what had happened...........we were fortunate she didn't get to put it on kayak setting.

D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.