1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Garmin GPS-Best Model

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gunner x, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

I am in the market for a Garmin GPS. Would prefer a no frills model. Just simple and basic. My price range is $200-$500. This is for Auto usage.
    Looking for suggestions and recomendations. The market options have me confused and I need your help.

Thanks for Sharing

Gunnerx

2. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Gunnerx :

I have been wanting one for awhile and decided this week end to buy one but I didn't really want to spend over 300.00 and also wanted a no frills one since I don't take that many trip a year.

I got a friend that want's a Tom-Tom he said he heard they was the best but after doing a lot of internet searching I saw that the garmin was better as far as displays in all of the weather conditions also the maps was more precise.

Ok after looking at every brand and the features that I wanted I decided on the Garmin c340 over the c330 it is realy the same rig but the 340 has the text to whatever part anyway it will actually tell you to turn on for an example { turn 200 ft. ahead on main st.} instead of just turn 200 ft. ahead and if you got 3 streets all together then im sure you got to look at the name of the street on the sign.

Ok I was going to order one from the internet but decided to go about 35 miles away and pick it up in person and I had my heart set on the c340 Garmin and Circut City had them for 324.00 and Best buy's had them for 450.00 but of course they told me they would match the price and I said well I was going to buy from circut city to begin with and just wanted to see if you would sell cheaper but they only said they would match it.

Well I told them I would rather drive back to Circut City since they was cheaper to begin with so I did.

Ok when I told the guy i wanted to buy the c340 garmin and then I asked a few questions because I don't know much about them but the main reason I want 1 for is if im somewhere and want to record the Lat. and Long. for a specific place to go back to later then I want to be able to.

Well the sales boy said none of the street pilot's and even other brands of family type G.P.S. will give the lat and Long readings but of course you can punch it in and go there but he told me to go next door to gander Mountian and get a hand held model because that is what I really needed.

Ok He had a Ledgen Garmin hand held but I wanted something besides a hand held model then he said he had a open box unit that someone brought back because they wanted something else so I looked at it and it was portable and also pretty big and could be used for either a pack around or put in the windsheild mount and look the same as the others.

He said it was made by Pioneer but it is called a MIO Digi Walker 310 but as I type im searching the net and downloading the updates to it.

I really like the features it even has a mp3 player and I got I got it for 179.95 instead of the 324.00 on the one that I originally wanted.

Ok still if I wanted just a road G.P.S. I would go with the c340 garmin model but the only reason I went with the othe was because I wanted to record the lat and long readings of all the cemeteries I visit.

Foggy

3. Large

Large TS Member

look for an -trex you can run it from batteries or a lighter plug adapter and should do all you want. as i recall they were under $300.00

i'd also look at e-bay as you can buy it now on most auctions for a goos percentage off of retail.

4. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

Garmin seems to discontinue models as quickly as new units are entered into the
    system. My research on Garmins always comes up as top of the line, but the
    question still remains, what model to purchase? I would prefer one that I could
    remove from Auto and slip in a pocket to avoid theft, and still remain absent of
    frills and cabable of providing the basic information for travel to and from
    shoots state and nation wide. What to do, What to do, I am not current on this
    latest technological advances. Bottom line,------I am Lost and gota get to
    a shoot! Help!

Gunnerx

5. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I have a Garmin 330 and I find it to be all I need it for. HAve even used it on my motorcycle when I was in Fla. this spring to get to the gun club in Gainesville. Do your research and buy one that fits your needs. There is a bunch out there!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

My 330 is very helpful and I have it turned on all the time when I travel, but dismount and hide it when I leave the vehicle.

Every now and then, however, it goes nuts. If you want to drive the highway which runs just north of Eau Claire, Wisconsin from the Twin Cities to Green Bay for example, if you listen to the Garmin you will never get there. It will have you exiting on roads which don't exist, heading several directions at once and none of the east, which is where you want to go. It happens in both directions and clears up if you just grit your teeth and follow the road you know is right, ignoring the commands of the imperious woman who wants you to exit into Neverneverland.

Neil

7. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

I have a 330 and it is terrific. It does anything I want and works well all over North America.
    It gives advice when travelling through major cities on the interstate. No worry about being in the wrong lane.
    It gives either the fastest or shortest route, avoids tolls if you want, routes you around low bridges if you are a truck driver, gives ETA within a minute or so and is accurate within 50 ft.
    I just bought the plug in card for UK and Europe maps as we are travelling there this summer.
    If it's as good there as here, it will be a cake walk.

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

When I did an internet seach for the best GPS unit, the C340 from Garmin was at the top of the list.

I ended up buying it off the internet for $309.00 from Abe's of Maine. Just checked and they are still that price. At Best Buy they wanted $449.00, so I saved a bit of money by buying it online.

Abe's Of Maine

But...........damn, I love this thing. It may not always show you the quickest, shortest way, but it will always get you where you are going.

Hauxfan!

9. W L Leven

W L Leven TS Member

I just bought a NUVI 360 last week and have used it quite a bit. This unit is fantastic.

Bought it at Abes of Maine where it was $404.00 plus shipping, lowest price I found. This unit is the replacement for the NUVI 350.

I get lost very easily and the NUVI 360 took me to locations I had not gone before and surely would have stumbled and fumbled my way to.

William Leven

10. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I bought my wife a Garmin last year. I use it more than she does. As with any GPS, order the current upgrade unless you know it hasn't sat on the shelf for 2 years. Alot of road construction occurs in 2 years.

11. 1oz

1oz Member

I have a Garmin 330 C Street Pilot. Online was my better choice to purchase . You can check your gps to see if you have the latest verisons . And i have been more than happy with Garmin tech support.I find these pieces of equipment great in busy cities or interstates being in the right lane at the right time etc .etc. Only in Wheeling WVA . did it have me make a wrong turn and stranger things have happened in WVA but it then started to recalulate and go on. All in all i like the 330 C. simple but works for my needs.

12. Sargon

Sargon TS Member

If you get a Garmin make sure it has Version 8 mapping software.

13. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

"Every now and then, however, it goes nuts." Sounds like Neil got the ATA BOD Signature Model. :)

14. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I have a Garmin IQUE3600. It does all the palm pilot stuff, plus GPS. The software is very powerful. If you want a hotel, you just search by hotels near your current location. If you want a restaurant, you just search for food and drink. There are a ton of searching options. Shoot me an email if you want to talk about it.

Forrest

f.miller@mccoylabs.com

15. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

I am currently doing research on all the above. It seems like I need a GPS
    to locate a GPS. Decisions,Decisions, 7 1/2's or 8's, it always something.

Gunnerx

16. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

I also witnesed Neil leaving the Great Lakes Grand. He was in the extreme
    North parking lot across from bank one. He was doing Big Circles. Now, he may
    have had the Dogs out for a run, but I figured it was the darned GPS going
    nuts again. Possibly, or was Neil tracking that second elusive Doubles target
    from the previous Day. I may omit Garmin model 330, unless Neil arrived home
    safely. How did Columbus do it, thats the question.

Gunnerx

17. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I bought a Magellian 2000 works great less than 400.00 a year ago. VERY handy tool for me

18. XT Bill

XT Bill TS Member

I look at it this way- As a taxpayer, I paid to put all those satellites up there, so I may as well spend a little more(relatively speaking), and actually be able to use the system!

That said, I just bought a Garmin Nuvi 650 for portable auto/walking use. Wider screen than 350. Found a deal online for 480 delivered. Sorry, but they sold out, was limited to stock on hand. (Best But wanted 699)

You want a unit with the SiRF 3 chipset, it's the latest and greatest GPS hardware.

For ATV use, I use a Magellan Explorist XL, has the biggest screen of the handhelds, with a RAM handlebar mount.

There is a lot of info online! I believe GPSInformation.net is one, another is GPSMagazine, or something close to that. Google these, that should get you there.

Happy Hunting!

Bill

19. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i have a garmin 2610--older model--about 600.00 but worth it.. love it and it works great except you need a removable card to program in all the cities that you want. 1 giga bite holds 1/2 the united states and 2 gig will hold the entire country. card about 20 bucks at office max. 2610 no longer made but it is available and well worth the money. also have a c340 that we just got. 288.00 from gpscity.com.and includes the shipping. best prices around. only buy the map upgrades every three years as they are always 1 year behind. the 340 does come wiht v.8 of maps. garmin serivce is GREAT. youneed something they send it no charge. love them and if you call they will spend time with you and make sure that you are happy. motordoc

20. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Nice thing about the Garmin C-340 is that it does come with a USB cord and you can plug it right into your computer to get any updates it may need.

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.