1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GARLITS MUSEUM

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by LUGNUTZ426, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

After many years of driving right by it, I finally made the time to spend an afternoon at Don Garlits Museum in Ocala. I was totally blown away by the sheer number of famous cars there. Snake, Mongoose, Shirley,Jungle Jim to name a few. Plus the seperate antique museum with perfect 30. 40 and 50's Fords Olds and Mopars and hotrods. Tons of Garage memorabilia and general antiques and collectabiles that Don found in his travels. An engine room with first, experimental, and famous and rare engines from dirt, Indy, Bonneville and nhra. Allisons, rockets, jets, turbines etc.

Best 15 bucks I ever spent. An afternoon was not enough time to take it all in.
    If you are ever near Ocala, take the time to stop there.

Joe

2. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I've driven past the place several time myself and never stopped. I was always in a hurry. In a hurry to get to a shoot at Skyway, the Dollar, and on the way back I was always in a hurry to get home.

One of these days I'll have to stop.

Is "Big Daddy" still alive?

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I stopped last year on the way home and Don was there chatting with fans. It is an awesome place.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

did you take pictures?

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

From the museum 25 minutes to Robinson Ranch

Phil Berkowitz

6. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

Big is 80 and still welding and tin knocking. He still makes appearances on behalf of Mopar at NHRA races, charity events and nostalgia shows. Once you see the sheer volume of cars (including vintage and hotrods) he has personally built, re-produced or restored it is truly amazing. Of course he has some great associates, partners and employees over the years working with him, but nonetheless the amount and quality of completed work is simply astonishing.

This is not a typical tourist trap " museum of reptile claws." Its location lends one to think that, but from an auto enthusiests standpoint it is truly up there with the great Museums I have seen including the Henry Ford, Walter P Chrysler and Smithsonian.

7. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

I was there in 1999. I would like to visit again and I did take a lot of pictures. Many of the cars there I have seen run. When I was there the little red wagon was on display. Back in the 70s I seen the little red wagon do many 1/4 mile wheel stands and talked to the owner Bill Mavrick many times. Lots of Hemi stuff.

8. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

From what I have been told by folks that were there years ago and recently that
    that the amount of stuff has doubled in recent years since Don retired from racing and dedicated more his time to the museum. There were a large amount of cars that were donated recently by estates of collectors and famous racers who passed away.

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

PIC'S PIC'S.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I was there years ago, and pleased to see a nice KR with the number 45 on it.

Darrel Dovel was a great example of the journeyman racers of the 60's and though not as famous as some he was always in there.

I wonder if any more flat track history made it to the Museum.

HM

11. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Cool website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.