1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Garden Tractor

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by esoxhunter, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I've been surfing the internet regarding information on a good heavy duty tractor that will be used to mow a large lawn, ( 2 acres), be able to handle a brush hog, (PTO driven) and snow blow a 700 foot driveway. I am interested in the John Deere X700 series; as I don't think the X500 series is big enough to do this type of work. Any ideas as to what other choice I might have that would compete with the John Deere? Thanks

2. 1290FPS

1290FPS Member

It sounds like the John Deere 2305 would be the perfect fit for what you want to do. I bought the fore runner to this series (2210) about 10 years ago. I have been very satisfied with it. (3 cyl diesel). Prior to that I was running a "fleet" of older Allis Chalmers. The Chalmers did the job, but parts availability was getting really hit or miss, and rather $$$$.

3. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

You may check on a Ford-New Holland Boomer. I believe there are three different horspower rating.

4. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

I would also check out the Massey Ferguson line of tractors. They have quite a variety of different size tractors from compact to huge 4 wheel drive ones. I've had one for about 15 years and the only think that I've done to it is change the oil. Mine is a Model 253 diesel. I use it to brush hog, plow snow, disk, and pull out logs for firewood. Can't go wrong with either tractor.

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The X700 would be OK for your mowing needs, but not for pushing snow. You need a tractor with a power angle plow which uses hydraulics. A 2210 would work in your case, if you decide on a 2wd tractor your going to need chains, rear wheel weights, and a 3 point hitch weight to balance out the plow weight. I use a 755 John Deere for cutting and plowing.

6. jwells

jwells Member

dont even consider getting a compact tractor that is two wheel drive. deere and kabota are probably as good as it gets for resale if you ever want to upgrade

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

1290 is right, but I was at John Deere yesterday, to get some parts for a grain drill, and they had a 1026 I think that was the number on it, it is a nice looking little tractor, we have a 2210 4720 and 5525 for utility tractors all are good tractors, and another thing about Deere's are they hold their value better than any of them

You can go to John Deere's web page, and build one the way you want and it will give you the MSRP, my dealer gives me about 25-33% off the msrp

One other thing about the 1026, in the literature I read, it has a load sensing 3 pt hitch, the 2205 or 2210 doesn't, if you've never had one before it probably won't bother you but if you have it's really hard to get used to

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Rule of thumb on power equiptment, pick out the biggest one you think you can afford, and buy the next one bigger. I never had regrets from buying to much power, but I have been very frustrated and lost a lot of money on trade in when I settled for the lesser model. Good Luck

9. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Doesn't matter what size or brand you buy, the best advice yet was to NOT consider anything that isn't 4WD!

10. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I looked at the Massey Ferguson GC2600 and the New Holland Boomer, (1025). Both seem to be nice units. They don't seem to have the "Build your own" feature like the John Deere does; so it's hard to compare prices.

11. jwells

jwells Member

with that 700 foot drive way you might condider getting into the 3000 series tractors from deere, also consider getting a loader for it. you wont be sorry. they are useful all year long and while not being ideal for snow plowing, they will get it done

12. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

From past experience, parts for compact tractors are very expensive, as most are not made by the sellers, but someone else.

I needed a piece of rubber hose for the hydraulic system for a Massey compact,

It looked like a simple straight metal reinforced hose, but I found out it was metric.

It measured about 1 1/4" I.D., but nothing standard would fit it properly.

I ordered the hose, and had it within 3 days, but this hose (about 1 1/4"X 3") cost $14.00 plus shipping.

Parts are expensive.

Danny

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

$14 is expensive? Ok then..................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.