1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Garden Questions - Plant Damage

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by SBray, Jul 7, 2013.

1. SBray

SBray Active Member

Folks,

I am hoping one of our viewers could tell me what has happened to my Japanese Mockorange (Pittosporum Tobira) plant.

I noticed a few days ago that one of these plants branches had broken off the bush and was lying on the lawn. Upon closer examination I found this branch, as well as the bush it came from, had these small black holes in the bark. The plant above the break appeared to be dying, the rest of the plant appeared normal. I suspect it was some type of bug infestation, or possibly a wood pecker, which we have a few of frequenting our property. I cut off the remaining branch that was damaged to hopefully protect the remainder of the plant.

Please see the attached photos and let me know what you believe has happened.

Thank you,

Steve
    sbray_2008_030313.jpg

sbray_2008_030314.jpg

sbray_2008_030315.jpg

sbray_2008_030316.jpg

2. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

That looks like a woodpecker worked it over. You most likley have a bore in there some were,thats why the bird was pecking.There are sprays and brush on treatments for this.Try your local nurseries or even farm stores and see whats avalable.

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Damn woodpecker.

4. SBray

SBray Active Member

I'll check out a local nursery for bore treatment. Unfortunately, those woodpeckers are protected birds around these parts.

Thanks,

Steve

5. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

It could also be a sapsucker doing the damage.

6. billn

billn Member

Check the holes, to see if they go down into the wood, maybe its a bore worm of some sort, they are too constant of a pattern for a woodpecker to do. check the other parts of the tree to see if they are a the same pattern.

If a woodpecker is hitting the tree, then he is after something in the bark that he is after.

7. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Question: What insect eats marigolds? Planted them to protect my other plants and there's close to nothing left. The foliage is picked clean.

8. MR870

MR870 Member

go to hardware store and buy a few feet of flexable black hose and drape it in branches of tree.My dad does this on his fig trees and the birds stay away thinking it is a snake.

9. SBray

SBray Active Member

I checked the entire tree's bark. The damage is only at the one location. It's about 14 inches in length, and the holes go into the wood.

mr870

Interesting idea on the black flexible hose keeping the birds away from the fruit trees. I will mention this to my brother that can't seem to get the cherries before the birds clean the tree.

Thanks,
    Steve

Search tags for this page

pittosporum bark damage