1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Garbage Disposal ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Jul 2, 2013.

1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Our new house came with an Insinkerator Badger 5--its noisy and can't grind much--looking for an upgrade that will just about be a bolt in and do a good job---I detest plumbing work.

Phil Berkowitz

2. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

I replaced our Insinkerator with another Insinkerator. No additional plumbing work required.

I did re-seal the drain, even though the sink connections are interchangeable. It took me about twenty minutes, a screwdriver, and plumber's putty. They even include the little combination wrench/"unclogging tool". The little tool looks like a bent Allen wrench. The only "plumbing work" I had to do was to remove the knock-out plug for the dishwasher connection.

I upgraded from the basic model. The one we have is much quieter. They also have replaceable splash guards now.

Good luck.

Best, Dennis

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Dennis--which model did you get

Phil

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Dennis-which model did you get?

Thanx--Phil

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land

brianinoregon_2008_0303319.jpg

He got the same model Fred did.

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Brian I don't want the White House model---we don't handle that much crap.

Phil

7. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Here's the link to Lowes. This is the model I bought.

Best, Dennis

8. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

badger 5 is their low end and it is noisy. Dennis has a nice unit from lowes and is relatively quiet.

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thanx--Phil

10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

First question to ask - are you on sewer or a septic system?

My local plumber and septic guy both say the only thing to go down a toilet should be the three 'Ps' - pee, poop, paper (as in TP). LOTS of water is a good thing as well (low flow toilets may be good for conservation, but they will strain your sewer line's ability to clear solids).

The single worst thing for a septic system is a garbage disposal - food mater as well as all the grease will place a heavy burden on the system. Also true for sewers, but someone else gets to deal with that (take a look at your growing sewer rental rates).

Both suggest that a disposal is not a good thing for a healthy sewer/septic system.

Food for thought.

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I'm on sewer

Phil

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Phil,

Get the Insinkerstor Excel. I believe it's their top level brand or at least it was when we bought ours. It has multigrind system that grinds the waste in stages and to the smallest bits so it flows through the sewer system better. It is also very quiet. That said I never understood why it was real important to have a super quiet garbage disposal. The thing runs about 10-15 seconds a day at most. Anyway, we are real happy with ours. I'd buy the same model again in a heartbeat.

13. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Trim Tab is right... and that is a good model. The better quality (more you spend) you get the quieter they are.

ISE is your best choice, made right here in Wisconsin!

SW

14. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Check out Hydromaid, we put one in when we built 18 years ago. Hasn't missed a beat and water powered, no electricity. We sold probably half a dozen of them with no complaints. Harv

15. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

Don't waste your money on disposer , don't use the old one , just don't put food down the drain even if its chopped up , it's no good for your pipes

16. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

May not be for you, but I started a large compost bin at the request of my daughter. Have been stuffing it full of grass clippings and mulched leaves too, because our food wastes don't generate enough compost. I keep a couple large jars on the counter for vegetable/fruit wastes, egg shells, and coffee grounds. I put grease and animal wastes in the trash. The only time I use the disposal now if if something gets down there accidentally. The bin's been great for our garden.

17. momma91304

momma91304 TS Member

I have an In-Sink-Erator Evolution and it is so quiet, I don't even hear it running. Just a suggestion.
    David's mom

18. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Lowes gives a 10 percent military discount and sometimes a Veterans discount

Regards from Iowa

Gene