1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

garage door opener sensor ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FLIP, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLIP

FLIP Member

have a problem with a sensor(safety sensor ) must have moisture in it, wont let garage door close!
    if i heat it up it will work, how do you bypass that system so i can keep the door closed with some security, its in Ohio and cold and snowing the thing works when its warm just want to disconnect now?

2. porky

porky TS Member

Why not disconnect the motorized connection to the door and lift and lower it manually? You can pin the door at the bottom to prevent anyone from opening it on the outside. Of course that could be a problem if the only way in the area is throught the garage door.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

The safety sensor simply connects a circuit with the light that travels near the floor. It could be bypassed with a wire from the light source to the light receiver or a small splice inside the receiver. I know it would only take a very small wire but I do not know which wires to splice into. I am the kind of person who would just go into the job using trial and error. Others would get advice before using a telephone wire with and alligator clips like I would do.

Pat Ireland

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

OR ... you could call a garage door repair outfit.

5. rd

rd TS Member

Have you made sure the light and receiving lens are clean, or that there is nothing blocking the beam, such as a spiderweb that drifts in and out of the beam? It could also be moisture condensing on one of the lenses when the cold outdoor air meets the lens.

After many issues with mine, I finally mounted it up in the rafters pointing at each other about ten feet apart.

Also make sure your rollers and hinges are all lubricated well with WD 40, as the greater resistance of pushing the rollers and hinges will trigger the auto shut down or reverser as if the door struck something.

6. FLIP

FLIP Member

beams are clear they are tape together. if i warm or heat up the one receiver sensor it will work. if i disconnect the wires it does not work.anybody know how to bypass the safety sensors (light beams)

7. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

We had a new door installed last month and it has the sensors mounted 6 in. above the floor. The installer told me he had tried several things and couldn't figure out how to bypass them but he said it didn't matter where they are mounted to work. He is required to mount them at the floor but he said after he leaves I could mount them anywhere just so they are looking at each other the door will work. When I have time I am going to move them to the ceiling where it will be warmer and drier. Larry

8. FLIP

FLIP Member

wish i would have did that several years a go Larry! just took apart the bad sensor re-soldered the board connectors its back outside for time to tell, now that the high for this week is 32 i am sure its time for my brakes to be replaced

9. rd

rd TS Member

I read that if you tape the sensors together, there is some way that it indicates a tampering is happening. They must be a few feet apart to defeat the anti-tamper program. Now that I hear that, I am sure that is your problem. I had the same issue. Just mount them on the rafter above the door about ten feet apart, properly aimed at each other, and out of the weather, and your issue will be resolved.

10. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I have mine mounted on top or the drive unit about 8" apart and they work just fine. I have the direction reverse set as low as I can so as to eliminate someone getting hurt by the door. The door will reverse direction before it can crush a roll of paper towels.

Big Jack

11. FLIP

FLIP Member

beams are clear they are tape together. if i warm or heat up the one receiver sensor it will work. if i disconnect the wires it does not work.anybody know how to bypass the safety sensors (light beams)

12. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

We had a new door installed last month and it has the sensors mounted 6 in. above the floor. The installer told me he had tried several things and couldn't figure out how to bypass them but he said it didn't matter where they are mounted to work. He is required to mount them at the floor but he said after he leaves I could mount them anywhere just so they are looking at each other the door will work. When I have time I am going to move them to the ceiling where it will be warmer and drier. Larry

13. FLIP

FLIP Member

wish i would have did that several years a go Larry! just took apart the bad sensor re-soldered the board connectors its back outside for time to tell, now that the high for this week is 32 i am sure its time for my brakes to be replaced

14. rd

rd TS Member

I read that if you tape the sensors together, there is some way that it indicates a tampering is happening. They must be a few feet apart to defeat the anti-tamper program. Now that I hear that, I am sure that is your problem. I had the same issue. Just mount them on the rafter above the door about ten feet apart, properly aimed at each other, and out of the weather, and your issue will be resolved.

15. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I have mine mounted on top or the drive unit about 8" apart and they work just fine. I have the direction reverse set as low as I can so as to eliminate someone getting hurt by the door. The door will reverse direction before it can crush a roll of paper towels.

Big Jack

16. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

Happened to me before adjusted senitivity in back of opener

17. FLIP

FLIP Member

none of the above it a bad sensor still need a way to jump it? when the receiving sensor is warmed it works, but it wont be warm here for a long time said the weather man,that SOB

18. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Why not just replace the sesnsor? Jake

19. lostandout

lostandout Member

there should be 2 sets of wires going into the opener put a jumper in from one to the other on both wires

20. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

lostandout, You've made my day if it works, and I don't see why it won't. Thank you, I hope. And I owe you a drink of your choice. :) Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.