1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gander shell price increase- ouch

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by msmith, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmith

msmith Member

Went to Gander last night (Tonawanda,NY) and was shell shocked. Win HS and Rem STS were $8.99 for 12ga &20ga. Hold on it gets worse .410 and 28s were $12.99 per 25 box. Glad I do not need shells!

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

i'm amazed gander mtn sells any target ammunition. They might as well pull it off their shelves and give up trying to carry it, its not like the 1 box a month their selling is going to keep that ship afloat.

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Gander Mountain Swings to 3Q Loss

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Hunting and outdoor gear retailer Gander Mountain Co. said Thursday it swung to a third-quarter loss, blaming soft consumer demand.

The results fell short of Wall Street predictions, sending Gander Mountain shares down 44 cents, or 8 percent, to $5.05 in aftermarket trading, after rising 79 cents, or 17 percent, to $5.49 in the regular session.

For the quarter ended Nov. 3, Gander Mountain posted a loss of $5.1 million, or 25 cents per share, compared with a profit of $2 million, or 14 cents per share, for the same quarter in 2006.

The prior-year quarter's results included a gain of $1.4 million, or 10 cents per share, related to the recovery of an insurance settlement.

Revenue rose 5.3 percent to $259.5 million from $246.5 million in the year-ago period.

Analysts polled by Thomson Financial expected a profit of 2 cents per share on $269.3 million in revenue.

Same-store sales fell 8.4 percent. Same-store sales, or sales at stores open at least a year, is a key indicator of retailer performance since it measures growth at existing stores rather than newly opened ones.

Gander Mountain said the disappointing sales reflect warm weather across the Northern states, affecting fall hunting seasons, along with soft consumer demand across its store base.

The company did not release fourth-quarter guidance, but said its sales performance has remained "challenging."

Copyright 2007 Associated Press.

4. mx12

mx12 TS Member

Since Gander's changed owners years back they always hire their GEO's from companies like Target, now Home Depot ect. They come from the higher retail store chains and try and make Gander a higher profit margin, but in return it cost them customers and sales. In the old days Gander always had some of the best prices and was always competitive, no longer the case.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I don't shop much at Gander's anymore. The prices are high and they play games with the prices as well. You have to watch as they ring stuff up. Last time I was there, at least one out of three items rang up higher than what was marked on the shelf, or even on the item. That's a quick way to lose my business.

6. tomk2

tomk2 Member

My local Gander is in its third year, I believe. Gun prices are higher than a newly opened Cabelas, and some of the larger local guns stores. Shotshell ammo is comparable to local big retailers like Dick's and Cabelas. They usually have what you want for trap, where the new Cabelas did not.

I have noticed that holiday shopping has not been that robust at Gander the last two years, at least on the days I have been there.

I last visited two weeks ago, and the gun clubs and estates were about 4.99 a box.

7. trap72

trap72 Member

Check your local Walmart, I was there on Friday and prices were sky-high?
    A four pack(100 rounds) was $23.88 plus tax = $25.73. That is $6.43 per box at Walmart. STS and Win AA was $7.47 per box. Just 1 practice round of trap could cost me at least, $12.18 ($5.75 for targets)

8. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

WalMart here is still $16.72/4 boxes of Federal or Winchester. Probably just for stock now on hand. I'm going to clean them out Monday to add to my stock for 2009. 2008 is already on hand.

9. magnumthunder

magnumthunder Member

Gander used to be priced good here! They built a new store and there prices went through the roof! A buddy of mine went to buy a gun and asked whats your best price on it! They what ever the tag says. Then asked, what do you charge for FFL transfer because the gun was more than $200 to high(compared to a SMALL shop in town here). $35 is what they told him. He said, I can understand that you dont want to sell me a gun but you dont want to make $ off my tansfer either. Told them,"You can keep your guns and everything else because I WONT waste my time even browsing here anymore!"

Needless to say he ordered the gun and the small guy was more than happy to do a FFL transfer for $25.

I've had some good buys with them in the past but after I was looking for a A handgun there, I see I can buy them from Cabela's or Gun Broker at a much better price.

Ps. They took down their signs claiming lowest prices or we will pay you the difference.

10. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Wal-mart this morning had upped the STS price to $6.78, from $5.99. The Remington 4-paks of Sport loads were still at $19.44, but the 4-paks of Winchester promos were up to about $23, IIRC. :(

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Just got back from local Wal-Mart. Winchester 1oz #8s $3.97 a box. Bought all the flats that they had. Sure am glad I got there before they decided to raise the prices. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.