1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gander Mtn Price Match experience HA

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I just got back from Gander Mtn after attempting a price match. Dicks Sporting goods has been running a sale on sts shells here lately. I was able to get shells for $5.98, minus a 10% quantity discount (b/c I bought a case), and a $10 off coupon, which brought my price down to $4.38/box before tax. Unfortunately I've bought out the 4 Dick's in my area (got 2 flats from one, and a flat each from the others) and really don't want to hassle w/ rainchecks that I frequently loose or forget about (and I have some mad money to play with that I probably won't have when the raincheck shells finally come in). Gander has them for $6.99 a box. I went in w/ a printout of their policy in hand and a receipt dated Wednesday. The long and the short of it was that they wouldn't honor the final price b/c it included a quantity discount (10% off if you buy a case) they don't offer, and a coupon that "they don't have to honor" (their words) ($10 off $50, no ammo restriction, and I told them i could produce the coupon if needed). I was stonewalled by both the dept mgr and the store mgr, the only thing I could finally get out of them was a match @ $5.98.

Here is a copy-paste from Ganders site regarding their matching policy:

"You won’t pay less anywhere else. We guarantee it! If you should find a lower price on an identical in-stock item within 14 days at a local competitor, let us know about it and we will match that price.

Restrictions: We define local as within a one-hour drive of the store. Exclusions include rebates, financing offers, misprints, discontinued, clearance, or closeout prices or prices on used, damaged, returned, open box or display merchandise. For buy-one-get-one offers and coupons we will meet the competitor’s price. This price guarantee does not extend to dealers or resellers."

I now notice that there is a restriction on coupons, but as far as thats worded, it should pertain to item-specific coupons, not $10 off $50 of anything.

Their argument was that since the policy didn't say that coupons or quantity discounts could be used towards a price match, they were excluded from the policy (which is false logic to me). As far as I read it, the final price i pay should be the price of the match. Am I wrong? I realize $4.38 a box is a ridiculously low price, but I don't think its my fault that i'm trying to exercise their own policy to my benefit. I've already contacted customer service and left a voice mail, they are closed for the weekend. I realize i'm a drop in the bucket to such a huge company, but if they want to weasel there way out of their own policy, i doubt i'll go back again.

Your thoughts?

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I think they will be crying tears big as horse turds over losing someone who expects them to match a "$4.38 a box is a ridiculously low price" !

3. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

Gander MTN management did the right thing. Why would they price match a $5.98
    shell. Plus 10% off case dicount, plus $10 off coupon. Bring the price down to
    $4.38 a box. Thats just crazy to think they would do that. I have read the policy. You should have received $5.98 price plus given a $10 off $50 or more purchase price. Thus you getting a case of STS shells at $49.98 I spend alot of time in GanderLand.

4. skeet_man

pigeon101- If they wanted to go for 49.98 i could have lived with that, gunna waste any savings in gas running around anyways. It was just the general tone, the dept mgr was argumentative to begin with as it was. But, in your opinion, am I reading their store policy correctly in regards to there being NO exclusion on quantity discounts or coupon usage, and if not, where is my error?

5. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

At the Gander Mountain in my area, they force you to pay $19.95 for a one year warrenty on a used gun. They don't tell you about the warrenty until after the sale is complete. I was going to purchase a used Smith & wesson pistol until I found out about the hidden charge. I asked the manager " Why do I need a one year warrenty on this pistol when all Smith & wessons have been guaranteed for life since the 1980's?" His reply was that a one time cleaning was included also. I then called the corporate office and was told that it seemed to them that I should be able to decline the warrenty purchase. The manager however refused to credit me for the warrenty, and told me it was store policy and I would have to pay it.I told him to forget about the sale then, and got a refund. I used to shop at Gander Mountain quite a bit, but not anymore.

6. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

go to sportsmans warehouse, they are more than happy to honor other store's coupons and discounts. I bought 3 flats of estates the other day with 3 dick's $10 off $50 coupons. We went up to the register showed the cashier the coupons and said that we wanted to check out three times, she examined the coupon and said that we could only use one a day, I told her that they let us use more than one last time and she said ok and proceeded to check us out three times. The estates were 43.90 a flat regular price, I got a %5 discount on each flat plus the $10 off $50 (I added a few boxes to make $50).

7. skeet_man

wish i had a sportsmans warehouse near me, never been in the same state as one i don't think (i'm in upstate NY)

8. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

skeet_man some Gander MTN's do offer a quanity discount. I don't see in the policy where it says anything on exclusion's about quanity or case discounts.
    That is a store company discount Gander, Dicks, Sportsman warehouse. They all do that discount. Not that I am trying to defend the Company. You did the right thing by calling them.

9. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

I had the exact same thing happen to me at Gander Mountain!

10. DeadDuck13

DeadDuck13 TS Member

I live here in Alton, IL...where Winchester is located. From time to time they have ammo sales for shells that have had "smeared" printing on the shell, or on the box...minor defects that don't effect the performance of the shell, but they still can't sell it in retail stores. So they sell it to club members for INSANE prices. The last sale they had you could buy AA's for $35 per case, or the cheap target loads for $20 per case. They had .410 AA's for $20 per case....THE EMPTY HULLS ARE WORTH MORE THEN THAT! They also had 3 1/2" Supreme duck loads for $60 a case. Of course, you can shoot at their trap range for $5.40 per round (if you're an employee)...including shells. I'm all about shooting cheap.

11. skeet_man

deadduck- drop me an email next time that happens,,,might be worth a drive LOL

12. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I used to work part-time at Gander Mountain and loved the employee discount! I hate to admit it, but they have changed since I worked there. They used to match anyone's price as long as you could validate the lower price with an ad or phone call. When we get the new Cabela's here in SW Michigan that they are talking about - that event along with Dick's friendlier attitude might just cost GM a BUNCH of their customer base. IMHO.......Rick

13. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Gander at one time had a "price matching policy" that went so far that, not only did they match the price, but gave you an added discount of 50% of the price difference. That was SWEEEEET!

Now when I go to GM, and ask for any type of quantity discount or a price matching (to another local retailers sale), their reply..."Go to hell", but in a more subtle way.

I heard about a year ago that GM was in a financial pinch, and that Holiday(yes, the gas station company) was seriously looking at dumping them. I haven't heard anything lately through the grapevine if that may still be happening.

Doug

14. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Skeet,

Do you happen to know what Beikirch's prices on ammo and shot is currently?

15. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Skeet_man, if you go to sportsmans warehouse's website there is a store locator, maybe there is one near you that you never knew about.

16. skeet_man

jbm actually did that last night after someone mentioned them, nearest one is a 6hr drive in Pittsburg. I'll have to remember it next time i'm down that way though.

Blizzard- I haven't bought shot in about 6 months, so i'm really not sure on that one. I've heard its around $30/bag though (as a side note, Dawson's in OH (the Beikirchs of their area) had an ad on their site that they were out of Lawrence shot, and when more came it, it was going to be $42/bag!!). Estate 20ga were $45/flat about 3 weeks ago, and were supposed to be $50 soon. I have enough shot to get me though next year, hopefully the price will come down by then, or i'll have to start buying my shot piecemeal instead of a years supply @ once.

17. skeet_man

as a followup, Gander corporate never bothered to return my call. Guess they don't need my money.

18. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo TS Member

I don't understand what all the whining is about. The policy is to match the price for in-stock items. Since all the Dicks around were out of stock, Gander was following their policy.

19. skeet_man

Joe- I guess my statement was misleading. I had bought the dicks out of full cases of shells, but a couple still had 8 boxes in stock, and the one closest to me still has one box in stock, so I wasn't able to take advantage of the 10% off for a case through Dicks @ that point.

20. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

I have bought two guns and ome scope from GM. They price matched Academy without even calling them or asking for an ad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.