1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gander Mountain's pricing - Watch out

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shutupandshoot, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shutupandshoot

shutupandshoot Member

Gander Mountain

The following statement is my opinion and mine alone

I have been shopping at Gander Mountain for about 2 years here in Tyler and I get madder and madder every time I go there as I feel like I am walking into a dark alley and going to be robbed at any minute. The reason I say this is because almost every time I go there to buy anything, the price on the shelf is lower than what the register rings up. I feel like they are hoping most customers don't realize it. I bring it to their attention every time and I will go back weeks later and nothing was changed. I bought shot one time with a $5 difference per bag. Gun grease with a $2 difference. Yesterday I bought a powder bottle marked $12.99 on the shelf and she rang it up at $14.99. This is only a few of the examples that come to mind.
    I met a guy at the counter last year and casually mentioned to him about checking the price they ring up and sure enough - it was wrong. Told a friend of mine at the gun club about my experience and the following week, he said the same thing happened to him. The little girl at the counter said "Well, there are just too many items to keep up with." My reply was "Other stores do it."

Anyone else notice it???????///

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Yes, buyer beware.

Don

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Things in your neck of the woods may be different, but around here if they have the price advertised (circular,flyer,shelf marked,etc) they have to sell it for that. It's the law. It's called deseptive advertising.

ss

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Their ammo is 2times what ours is, their LCPs were a c-note higher. They are great for our business.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Exactly the same thing here. Went to buy a mec wad guide, shelf said $3.99 or something close, and it rang up over $15. The last half dozen times my dad or I have bought something from there, the price was SIGNIFICANTLY different than what was marked on the shelf. It seems the cashier's know the prices is way messed up, and pretty much take your word for what its supposed to be as long as you know. I bought a bag of wads there a month or so ago to try out, marked ON THE BAG $12.99, rang up $17 somthing.

6. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

They pull that cr-p on us all the time in the store in Binghampton,NY all the time. I won't shop there again.

7. shutupandshoot

shutupandshoot Member

They always sell it to me for shelf price but why do they want their customers to feel like they can't be trusted

IF ANY EXECUTIVES FROM GANDER MOUNTAIN READ THIS, - BEWARE. YOUR CUSTOMERS ARE NOT STUPID

8. jhoward

jhoward Member

There's no Gander Mountain in my area, but they'd sell it to me at the price on the shelf, or they'd not sell it to me.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Repricing products is very time consuming and costly. Home Depo has a group of people at each store assigned just to do price updates. In todays retail market, I can understand some delays.

10. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I went to the Gander Mountain store in Wichita, to buy some Duster wads. They were marked more than 50% higher that any retail prices I found online. Their shot was $39 per bag (the clerk did tell me where I could by shot in Wichita for $27 per bag)at the time. They had a "price match" sign, and after I had checked on prices on Duster wads I called back to Gander's store and was told that the price match was for Cabela's and Bass Pro only. Very convenient since those stores apparently don't carry Duster wads. I contacted Duster by email and told them the price. The reply was, and I quote from thee email, "WOW"!!!,unfortunately we have so say on the mark-up for distributors and retailers.

Needless to say,I will not be going back to ANY Gander Mountain store to look for any kind of reloading supplies, sporting equipment, or anything else. If you are getting ripped off on those items, then the rest of the stock is probably the same way, in my opinion.

11. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

GM prices in the St. Augustine, FL store are CONSIDERABLY HIGHER than any of the Mart type stores or local small gun stores. The last item I bought at a local gun shop was 33% higher at GM when comparing shelf marked prices. GM prices always seem to be higher than anywhere I have checked.

As a result, I no longer shop GM. Marc

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I went to the one in my area to buy a duck hunting coat. The rack said $59.99 and it rung up $179.00. To make a long story short I spoke to the manager and right off I knew he was going to give me trouble. He held his ground saying it was a misplaced coat. It was on a rack with other coats that were the same model with the price on top. He didn't care and before I went off I decided to leave. Before I left I said I will deal with this matter in other ways. You have not heard the last of me. Before I turned half way around he said OK YOU CAN HAVE IT AT THAT PRICE. I then told him to call the young lady at the reg. I looked at it as a bait and switch.

It is my understanding in my state that if this happens you can take them to court for bait and switching law. You will win in court. It is illegal to have a lower price and then a higher price at the reg. Check with you local DA at the court house for the law for your area or state. That way they will not charge you for their time. Free is good. You can also call you local Better Buisness Burrow. Let them know what is going on.

I can't afford to shop at GM. They are to high and dishonest.

13. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

I live in Racine Wisconsin and there is a GM store located in Kensoha just north of the Ill/WI border. The first, and only time, I went to shop there I noticed the prices on many items were higher than the GM located in Franklin. I saw the store manager walking around so I asked him why the higher prices. His answer was that the prices were higher because the people from Ill would pay them. I never went back.

14. Guard Rail

Guard Rail TS Member

Gander mountain checkout has rang up more that the price almost every time I have bought anything there, especially on sale items, and sometimes on items that were not on sale. If you buy there you had better check your reciept.

BK

15. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's are all the same. High prices. I buy from Cabela's now and then. However, ONLY when they are having a clearance sale on their clothes. They do have some quality clothing and if you watch the clearance sales; you can pick up some decent quality clothing fairly reasonable. Other than that most of their prices are ridiculous. Ed

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Our local Gander Mountain store is a place I visit only when necessary. The help is either untrained, rude or both for the most part. However, when shopping for a crossbow two years ago, I bought at GM. They had the exact bow I wanted, it was on sale and the very knowedgeable clerk gave me two additional discounts because I was over 55 and was buying a 150-pound bow when 175s were all the rage. He then took the bow and me upstairs to their indoor range and sighted it in for me. But as I stated before, that was an exception to the rule.

I have to defend Bass Pro Shop, though. Ours (Harrisburg, PA) is very competitive in pricing - in fact, I just received MidwayUSA's flyer and had been at BPS over the weekend. Their prices on Nosler bullets are exactly the same and with the exception of shot back when it was nuts in price, BPS is always in line with other shops.

I bought a new stainless steel Remington Model 700 SPS there a few years ago for $539.95 when the next lowest price I could find anywhere within 100 miles was $612.99.

Ed

17. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I agree with the sentiment that Gander is horrible, overpriced and a place to go only when necessary.

The one near me has ZERO shotgun shell reloading supplies, ammo and guns are way overpriced, and selection is poor.

Our Cabelas, while better, is also unsuitable. One hundred primer limit (what good is that going to do me), 1 pound containers of powder only (again, useless) and no Duster wads.

Scheels is a place here in the Midwest and I can't say enough good about them. Have what you need (still a one thousand primer limit though), great gun selection and they are a Caesar Guerini dealer to boot.

Seems like many of the so-called sporting goods chains are happy to mostly sell clothes.

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I do not shop at Gander Mountain anymore. I used to drop hundreds of dollars there at a clip. Won't do it anymore since their prices are too high and they have the wrong price displayed on, or near, half or more of the items. I always had the "suprise" at the register when something rang up way higher than it was marked. I don't care of the price is too high, as long as it's marked correctly. To do otherwise is dishonest. I can decide if I want to buy something when it's marked correctly and NOT when it is rung up at the register for a different price. I have NEVER had this problem at Cabella's or Bass Pro Shops.

19. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Same here on Gander Mtn's high prices. Also, they never have what I'm looking for in reloading supplies powder, bullets, etc. Went out there for a chronograph - none, 30-30 leverevolution bullets - none, Raptor .177 pellets - none, air rifle scope mount - none, quality air rifle scope - none etc. They do have a good supply of deer jerky spices and fishing equipment though. I'd hate to see them go out of business. I do still shop there if it's something thay have that I need today.

Bass Pro in Nashville on the other hand has great prices. I bought 2 guns there and their prices were lower than Walley Worlds. I also bought a Leupold VariXII scope there and the price was also cheaper than Wall Marts.

20. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

I must say this rant is getting very boring. Yes everyone that shops at gandermountain has had pricing issues. To high, not correct blah,blah, blah.
    Why can't you buy your reloading supplies else where? Why is it when you come into a Gander Mtn and talk with an associate about an item. The fisrt thing that is said is ( I can get this cheaper at Joeblowsmart ) Well why the Puck
    didn't you buy it there then? Do you not but it at joeblowsmart and drive straight to Gander to see if you get it at joeblows price. If you don't like GanderMtn why do you even set foot into the store. They are not the only saloon in town. Just as many people that hate the Co. love the Co.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

chronograph at gander mtn

trap prices at gander mountain