1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gander Mountain nice place to start a gun shop

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JessWalton, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JessWalton

JessWalton TS Member

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but we just got a new Gander Mountain and after visiting it I was very disappointed. Their prices are the highest I think I have ever seen on most of what they sell. You would think they would make an attempt to have a competitive price since they are kind of like the wal-mart of firearm related items. I guess its a good place to look at guns and throw a few up. Then go buy it somewhere else. Oh well I planned to support the little guys anyway but I had to stop in. I hope the rest of you keep supporting the little local gun shop!

2. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

I only go there if I cannot find it somewhere else.

They are getting more like Eddie Bauer all time.

Must be a lot more money in Chinise clothes.

Bo

3. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

I went into the one in our area a couple years ago and made a deal on shot buying an X amount of bags they were going to give me a deal. They were out at the time and never did follow through with it. I even checked everyday for a couple weeks. Haven't been there since

4. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

I went to the one in my area and I have to agree with everyone. THEY ARE HIGH AS HELL. At the time shot was so so and they were trying to get about $15.00 more then other stores. Guns and ammo were a joke. I need an out fit for duck hunting and they were the only ones within reason for travel that had what I needed. They tried a bait and switch at the register and I fought them over it and got it for the price it was suppose to be. When you go in their stores watch the price tag's on the shelf and at the register. I'm like Bocephas, I now go there only when I have no other choice. How they keep their doors open is a wonder to me.

5. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Where I'm located here in N/W Indiana I hace a Cabelas,Bass Pro,Gander Mtn and Dicks all within 1/2 hour. I rarely go to Dicks or Gander anymore, my wife likes the clothes(Woolrich) at Gander Mtn.

6. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Use to have good regular prices and outstanding sale prices. Don't have either now. Really don't know how they stay in business. Must be too many people that have so much money that they don't care about the prices.

7. JessWalton

JessWalton TS Member

The funny thing was that there were a lot of people in there filling out yellow sheets buying guns. The majority of which didn't seem to know much about guns. I guess if your do not know any better that place seems like gun heaven.

8. bird_buster

bird_buster TS Member

I think they and most specialty retailers rely on the fact that the average consumer is uninformed and does not know much about the item they are about to purchase. These stores don't want to deal with poeple that know what they are talking about, that makes the sale more difficult for them, as we may ask actual questions....what a concept.

Cheers,
    SMK

9. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

Cabelas is the same way if not worse there ammo prices are a joke. Bass pro is a little better but not by much , there so called expert staff that they advertise was trying to convince me that Beretta does not make a 391 with a 30" barrel the other day , he would not , could not be convinced otherwise.

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

I think Bo nailed it...the real profit in retailing these days consists of unloading the boxes from the China-boat, and throwing it up on the shelf for quick turn-over. The guns are there as "bait" to get you in the store (ever look at the stuff they put in the glass "trophy case?"). If you decide the guns are an overpriced rip-off, but still pick up $10~15 worth of Chinese junk on your way out, then the guns served their purpose. It's really the only difference between them and a WalMart. They're just becoming what a WalMart would be, if they still sold guns.

And the guns probably aren't a total loss for them. There are a lot of suburban types who only go hunting once every 5 years, when their brother-in-law organizes some kind of expensive guided "trip out West." You'll see them in there..."I'm going on a trip in a few weeks, and I need a rifle...my brother-in-law said a .270 might be a good caliber...do you have any of those?"

11. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Boys its time to support the little guys in everway you can. I know two guys that had gunshops several years ago and went out cause the couldn't compete with the big boys comming on to the seen. Now they know they could do well except for one thing. It is very hard for them to get new FFl lincense. Things have change and many areas out in the suburbs and country willl not alow gunshops anymore. The big boys have lobbying people to make it harder for the Atf to issue a lincese.

But now is the time for the little guys to make a come back and don't let him get away when he's back. B12

12. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Gander does have some really good gun deals from time to time. Recently I saw a Caesar G Summit LTD at a good price & I got a really great deal on a nice K-80. I must admit though,it was a real cat fight on the K-80 to get them to pay attention to me & to get a reply to my offer. I agree they don't care about the high-end guns. They seem to be more interested in selling the cheaper run of the mill guns & especially gun accessories.
    Cabela's is not too bad with their gun libraries if they are not too busy.

13. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Hanging out near the shotgun counter, listening to the sage advice, is fairly entertaining on a rainy day.

14. len loma

len loma TS Member

Received some fair to great deals in the past at GM but they are digressing quickly. In my view they really have a problem with the help . Recently I brought in a couple of guns for trade in. I fully understand they need to make a profit on trades how ever they are not the only one with a blue book and can judge fair market value based on condition. A cocky 20ish kid with ear rings bigger then musky baits shot me a number. "Because the double barrel had 2 triggers you wouldn't get much for it. $100" I would have to smoke dope to agree with that quote. The new gun I was looking at was all dinged up and they would not deal on it one bit. My buddy sold my SxS at a show in less then an hour and my cut was $300. They lost my business.

Len

15. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Regarding the poster above who did not list an ID:

Got news for you, the BATF has not used YELLOW 4473 forms for a couple of years.

The past one was a white, three page folded sheet, but the most recent one is a 4 page, glued together form and ALL previous forms are not acceptable.

Kinda hard to believe anyone in a professional business was using a YELLOW form, because EACH ONE is a Federal violation.

I would suspect that if the poster is not identifiable, the post will be dumped.

Whiz White<BR>
    FFL Dealer

16. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Gander Mountain left their lead prices at $50/bag long after other retail outlets were dropping theirs into the low $40's and $30's. Inventory is sold at replacement cost plus profit. No wonder they don't sell much lead.

I've picked up a couple of good deals on rifles. I bought a Remington XR100, in .308, which is a real tack driver. It happened to be on sale though. Last week, I also picked up a very nice used Ruger 77/22 for under $400, even though it had a cheap Simmons scope on it, it was still a good buy.

Overall, though, they don't have that good a price on their guns. For example, they had Ruger's Mini-14 target rifle, and listed it for about $860. I saw the same rifle listed at smaller shops for under $800.

Gander Mountain and Cabela's do buy guns in quantity. But, the smaller retailers also use buying cooperatives, and they do as good, if not better on retail price. Besides, I can get thousands of dollars worth of talk and advice from the local guy, and he appreciates my time and money. I will gladly pay a little more for components.

Best,
    Dennis

17. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I have had pretty good luck at Gander.

Last year I bought my son a new BT-99 (in Gander gray laminate) on sale for $1099. Then I got 5% off on a coupon they sent out and I earned 5 points for each $$ on my rewards card netting me $50 in Gander cash.

That's less than $1000.00 for a BRAND NEW BT-99!

The front bead on the BT came loose after about 1000 rounds and the gunsmith replaced it while we waited. We were out the door in 45 minutes with no appointment.

Ammo is hit or miss, reloading supplies are always high, but clothes and other stuff you can find some pretty solid deals. Guide Series fishing rods are pretty good values; I have two of their Musky rods and there is not a helluva lot of difference between them and my St Croix Premieres.

The manager at our GM is fantastic to our SCTP program and has given great prices on skid-lots of ammo for the kids along with door prizes and more giveaways for our kids shoots.

Is the best place for guns or high end guns.... probably not? But do you shopping right and I would have to say, OUR local Gander is not the worst choice.

I'm sure the local stores and staff vary alot, but we are pretty fortunate with ours.

SW

18. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I have had our Gander Mountain meet/beat prices I got at the Dick's across the road on a climbing stand, a bow, and on some Remington Gun Clubs. I also have gotten a couple of deals on new and used guns, a Taurus Tracker 17 HMR at $225 new and a used BT99 two barrel set, used, at 709. (Starting price was originally 775, I think. I'm sure they allowed the previous owner all of $300 or $350 but 700 was pretty good in our area.

That said, I normally only go there for bow repair, heat packs, and to use the gift cards my family gives me for some clothes. I'd rather go there than Dick's any day, regardless of how many feel about them. I can remember when the only one was in Wilmot and we'd make a yearly trek up there for some good bargains.

90% of the time I buy from our local small businesses, Dave's for components, Bartlemays for trap guns and accessories, and Midwest for the rest. All run by friendly people who greet you by name and are honest with you and truly appreciate your business.

19. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

MUSKY LURES FOR EAR RINGS ! ! ! LOL ! LOL ! I died laughing when I read that.
    My brother makes Musky lures and sells them on E-Bay ,.... maybe he needs to put them in the jewelry catagory also. LOL! Love it !
    Serious though the help in my experiance at Cabelas/Bass Pro/etc,is terrible. Even when you go into the fine gun rooms. They no nothing to very little about there products. I peruse and ask questions and get blank stares or made up things. Have in the past pulled newbies aside and informed them of the straight skinny. Not anything indept just basic stuff.

Have seen 2 local Mom and Pop gun stores/sporting goods go by by locally when BPS and Cabelas moved into town , the MOM/POPS generally had good knowledge of there product and had good answers to questions.

SUPPORT THE MOM AND POPS I SAY ! even if it costs a little more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
does gander mountain sell dope e

gandermountaintrapguns

the competitive differences between gander mountain and bass pro shop