1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gamo Whisper air rifle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've been eyeing one of those Gamo Whisper air rifles to dispatch a few ground rodents around the place. The wisper model is about $50 more than the standard model. Are the quieter enough to make a difference, or am I just better off with the standard model?

ss

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

ss years ago i bought a springer similar to the gamo, it was a rws made in germany, last year I bought a airforce air rifle, it has a tank you fill from a scuba tank.. wow... talk about a real shooter.. you ought to take a look at one before you buy a gamo.. not knocking the gamo but there are much better air rifles out there.. this is what I have the talon ss http://www.airforceairguns.com/talonss.html

3. PODO

PODO TS Member

s.s. - Last year for Christmas the wife bought me a Gamo Whisper - wanted for the pain in the butt ground squirrels at cottage - used reg .177 pellets and not to bad for noise - tried the Raptor Gold pellet at 1200 fps and it has a crack like a .22 - TOM

4. twotimer

twotimer Member

SS, I don't know if you live inside the city limits, if it is legal, get a cheap little 22 that shoots shorts..doesn't make much noise and can be really accurate. Mike

5. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

I have a Gamo Sport Hunter, my buddy has the Gamo Whisper. They both sound about the same to me.

I did spring for a $79.00 BSA AR27X32 Air Rifle Scope and what a tack driver. Anything inside of 40 yards is dead. I have killed crows out to about 60 yards but at that distance thats a pretty low percentage shot. I have had my best luck with the Crosman Flat nosed lead target ammo.

Jim R

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Guys,

Thanks for all the help and the links. I figued the whole "whisper" thing was a gimic. I think the Big Cat 1200 will do what I need.

I have a couple of tack driver .22's that I use cb caps in with great success, but I just want to get an air rifle to play with like I did when I was a youngster.

ss

7. Ray Brasser

Ray Brasser Member

Aguila Super Colibri is a .22 rimfire round. 20 grain pellet with a muzzle velocity of 500 fps. No powder in these rounds. Primer only. They only recommend them for use in handguns because they may get stuck in the barrel of a rifle. You can use them in a rifle but you need to be careful and watch for one when it gets stuck. Some rifles shoot them fine. Others don't. They will not cycle an auto loader. Bolt action, pump, or lever action works best. But they are VERY quiet. In the right rifle they are a lot of fun.

And RWS makes a bb cap and a cb cap that duplicate the ballistics of their .22 air rifle. 17 grain pellet with a muzzle velocity of 750 fps. About the same noise level as an air rifle. They function very well in your favorite .22 bolt action. These are very nice but they have gotten to be very expensive. $26/100.

You can find both at http://www.22ammo.com/ although sometimes they are sold out. Shop around.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If you have a 22 rifle with a barrel length of around 24" to 26", CCI CB Longs are very quiet in that barrel length. In an 18" barrel they're doing 770 fps. In a 26" barrel they're doing 660 fps, a drop of 110 fps. This is because the powder charge is used up and can no longer overcome the friction, causing the bullet to decelerate in the bore. This means the gas pressure is very low when the bullet exits. At 50 feet you can't tell the difference between these and a magnum air rifle.

9. 3on8

3on8 Member

Thanks sjlga
    The pyramydair.com is a very nice site!

10. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Like Brian, I shoot the CCI CB longs through a suppressor. Can hear the hammer fall and the bullet go "thunk".

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'll have to try those cb longs...we have gophers every spring and the neighbors encourage me to waste as many as possible, but I still like being as discrete as possible

12. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

I have a Gamo shadow, and it is a real tack driver.that is once you find a good mount for your scape, I think my mount is the one piece RWS cost about $60.00 but it is the only mount that dont move on the gun, springers recoil back and forth and are hell on scopes, also when you use the Raptor pellets they break the sound barried that is why they crack like a 22. but I relly likw the gamo Shadow bought mine at Wal-Mart for $124.00

13. letts

letts TS Member

I have one , scope that came with it is junk, bad junk. Expect that you will need to buy a scope, Maybe mounts also.

Letts

14. Kerry

Kerry TS Member

I have one of the Gamo Whisperers and it is not any quieter than my other pellet rifles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.