1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Games shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Grevin, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grevin

Grevin TS Member

Just wondering if there is a general consensus out there as to the best configuration for an Annies gun. At what point can you over-choke such a games gun and is there an advantage to shooting to a flatter POI than a regular handicaps gun? It seems to me that a somewhat flatter POI offers a minimal disadvantage relative to your own called target in return for a somewhat less complex sight picture on back-up falling targets. How do you guys set up?

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

The ultimate "Games" gun is a 3 inch Model 12 Winchester!

None better!

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

You are close hab but no cigar. The remington model 31 had the best choke ever for games

4. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

In the West or at least where I shoot, mod 12's, 31's, 870's 425 and 525's seem to have a strong foothold with a smattering of BT-99's, Beretta's auto's and break opens. The common thread is they're all flat shooters which works well for getting under a falling target at eighty to hundred yards in the Annies.

My choice are Perazzi's TM series, TM-1 or TMX. These guns are flat 60/40 are very strong and will digest heavy loads day after day with no issues, opposed to model 12's which seem to have all kinds of problems over time.

Chokes range from tight in the realm of .40, loose in the realm of.24/.28.
    I owned a TM -1 that would not digest 5's with any sort of pattern but would throw a smoking pattern with 7's, it was choked .41, I sent it down the road. I think .30 works best for most loads and shot sizes.

Unlike some parts of the country where Buddies and Annies are restricted to trap loads and small shot and only allow so many guns up at a time (three or four)in Annies, no such restrictions apply here. It's not uncommon to have a fifth or six sometimes seventh shot knock out shooters depending on the venue, this is where fours and two's come into play and these shot sizes seem to like more open chokes.

It always comes back to what loads works best with your barrel. My load built around my barrel may not work well from yours, it's all subjective.

Surfer

5. MDJ67

MDJ67 Active Member

I use a Model 12 3inch with 32 inch barrel that I had a vent rib installed. The club were I shoot has a motto " if shell fits into a trap gun its a trap load " lol Haven't shot games in long time this is giving me the itch.

6. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

IMO, any full choke that patterns good will do. For me, it's the shot for distance. Copper plated 6's will break 50-60 yard back-up targets like 16 yard targets...almost. I believe it's not the amount of powder, shot charge or necessarily shot speed or any special choke...but the weight and hardness of the shot that does it from way back. Notice how many targets are hit but not broken from way back. Harder and larger shot will change that result. Try copper plated 6's before you purchase a new gun...just for games. Certainly, needs to be full choke....040 constriction will do. For years, I shot copper plated 6's with the same hull and powder load as 27 yard registered targets...barely 3 dram and dominated many clubs with games for many years from Chicago to KC. As far as point of impact is concerned...only you can make that determination as point of impact is not a common thread among trap or game shooters.

JMO,

milt

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Shoot your regular gun, you know where it impacts, you just have to learn to allow for the dropping targets, I shoot a gun that shoots 20 inches high for games w/no problems. I shoot Annies, buddies, Miss & Outs, 5 from the pole, and five from anywhere. Your advantage is the gun you shoot best with.

I just use Hard #6s as biggest pellets, My pet shell is 33.5 Longshot w/ 1 1/8th oz #6s in STS Hull.

GB
    DLS

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Gotta agree with cubancigar2000 on this one. Still shooting the same 31 TC 35+ years now. Ross Puls

9. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I agree a flatter shooting gun is better, many shots are on falling targets and remembering to hold so far below a target is difficult for those like Longshot with 125% high POIs

10. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

When shooting a shotgun that far, the shot is dropping at a pretty fast rate. Shooting a flat shooting gun has no advantage or disadvantage. You just want to shoot a gun that you are used to and a load you feel comfortable with. Huntinandhotrods

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.