1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Galling on Perazzi MX-8?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Scoutman 06, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

A guy was at a shoot today selling an older MX-8, Ser# 35XXX, that looked in pretty good shape but there was noticeable galling on the face of the frame & the forend iron where they make contact when opening & closing the gun. The gun seemed to open & close fine, but I was wondering if this is a problem that would make the gun something to avoid. Thanks in advance, John

2. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

John,

I would avoid the gun unless both of the following are true:
    1. You shot it and broke every target you shot at,
    2. The price is very low.

The recevier galling can be cleaned up with a whetsone. The serial number range of this gun is quite old and some parts (barrels and wood) will not interchange.

What a shame for such a nice gun to be not taken care of.

Don Rackley

3. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

This is a series 2 or 3 Perazzi and the values for those guns are about 1/2 of the newer series 4 guns. the gauling can be fixed and probably has no effect on performance or safty but if you wanted to make it perfect consider an additional $300 to $600 for tiging the receiver and foriend and re machining them.

I would feel that the gun you described would be worth $1400-2000 depending on barrel length and stock condition.

hope this helps Joe

4. Dusted1

Dusted1 TS Member

Titewad2, The galling happens because the gun is not lubed properly. A little tri-flow would have prevented it or any other gun oil for that matter.
    Dusted1

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

For some reason Perazzis seem more sensitive to lack of lubrication that other guns. This is not a criticism; just an observation. Advice - never shoot a Perazzi "dry".

6. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

Thanks for the input guys. This was a consignment gun & the dealer was trying to get $3K for it. Needless to say, I passed on it. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.