1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Galling on MX15

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 682Fan, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 682Fan

682Fan TS Member

I have owned an MX15 unsingle for one year-used, this is a 2003 gun according to the date code. Appeared pristine when purchased, now I notice some galling on the trunions in the receiver. Barrel monobloc trunions and other friction surfaces still in pristine shape.

I have been using Militec-1 grease religiously on the trunions. Anyone have any experience with this grease or problem with the MX15?

Could this have happened in one year, or did I just not see the galling when purchased?
    Hopefully I can continue to use the gun without inflicting further damage.

Thanks for any input
    Arnie

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've used Militec exclusively for the last year or so on my Kolar, and its far and away the best grease I've used thus far (and I've used a vast majority of whats out there). Stays in place, doesn't melt in the heat, and lubricates as designed. And on the plus side, its actually one of the cheapest gun greases out there (it was <10 bucks for a grease gun tube full of it).

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Nine times out of ten, the galling starts from poor forearm placement during assembly or disassembly. If you look at the corners on the forearm iron you'll notice that they are quite sharp. If you nick the radius of the receiver with one of those corners even a little bit when you put it on, the result will almost guaranty a gall line. If you don't get the gall line smoothed back down both on the receiver and the forearm radii it will get worse.

I did it myself on my Perazzi once and had to have the radii redone. Since then I am careful to place the forearm over the barrels and away from the receiver sliding it into the slots on the sides of the receiver and avoiding touching the receiver's radius with the corners of the forearm iron. Good luck.

4. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Used grease on my MX8 and discovered galling as well. Switched to oil and after several thousand rounds using oil the galling has worn away. Looks like it should now.

Regards

W&W

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

How can grease cause galling?

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

Any grease on any gun can cause galling under the right (wrong) conditions. Grease will hold grit, firing debris, windblown dirt or sand and then it becomes lapping compound. Thouroughly clean off grease after each shoot and grease just before use. Never rest the open gun over your shoulder. Never lay the greased gun or parts in your gun case. Clean and cover the grease tube or jar after each application. And as mentioned above a little ding can start galling no matter what lube you use.

--- Chip King ---

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The forend lug can also be to tight.. but dirt is the main culprit.. I'd polish the galling out with a ultrafine hardstone.. and then use a cratex soft wheel to put a mirror finish on the area where it was galling..Use clean grease..and see what happens..

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Have a couple of grease fittings installed, that way you can keep the gun closed while you fill it up with grease. Or better yet use Triflow. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.