1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Galling on Browning receivers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by berettaman7, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Does anybody have pictures showing the galling that sometimes occurs on the receivers of Brownings?, I have an argument with a shooting buddy which insists that this cannot happen and I want to show him he is wrong.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Berettaman7

2. Browning Guy

Browning Guy TS Member

I had a bt-99-newer model-that galled up so bad that I couldn't open the gun. I slightly sanded it with steel wool and greased it every time I got done shooting it. No more problems.

3. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

I once saw one which was so bad that I could see the layers of steel.

Berettaman7

4. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I had an older Citori Trap that had some galling on the receiver. Very fine file, steel wool and grease stopped it, but you could always see it.

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Over the years I bought two Citoris and a BT-99 and shot them all to the point of needing rebuilt/tightened. I bought them all new and never experienced galling on any of their receivers.

I also bought a new Citori Plus shortly after they hit the market. I galled it almost immediately. I believe the root cause was inadequate lubrication resulting from lack of proper attention by the owner/operator.

sissy

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The usual cause is to much pressure from the forend iron, before it happens a little filing on the barrel tang prevents it.

Kids - dont try this at home.

HM

7. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

The answer to this problem is lubrication (quality oil or grease, your choice)everytime it is assembled and used. Wipe it clean upon disassembly and re-lube at every assembly. It takes awhile for the Browning actions to wear in and loosen for ease of use.

Larry

8. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

The answer to this problem is lubrication (quality oil or grease, your choice)everytime it is assembled and used. Wipe it clean upon disassembly and re-lube at every assembly. It takes awhile for the Browning actions to wear in and loosen for ease of use.

Larry

9. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear B..7 & others,
    Take your fancy high dollar gun or whatever to Arizona and stand it up on the gun rack between trap rounds for one day. The fine sand particles that they have in that state binds up any tight fitting gun with or w/o lubricant. A week of shooting there will really open your eyes to "keep it clean or else" I stopped putting my gun in the rack and kept it away from the "Evil Sand". Never seen these binding problems in eastern states shooting. Asked several gunsmiths at the Spring Grand and they just smiled as people stood in line to get their guns repaired!
    Respectfully submitted, Jet Boat Bill/Life member ATA

10. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Thank you for all your comments, I read HM´s comments on previous threads and agree with him, now does anybody have pictures of a receiver showing the damage?

Berettaman7

11. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Thanks for the warning BL350. I'm moving to Az sometime within the next year. Even though I'm damn meticulous in the care of my guns I may have missed that fact.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Berettaman7- When you talk with your friend about this friendly disagreement, be aware you might be getting set up. He might understand the difference between galling and gouging or scraping of metal due to debris.

Galling involves small metal particles being removed from one surface and becoming welded with pressure/friction to a matching surface. Some metals resists galling but certainly can be gouged.

Pat Ireland

13. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Thank you for telling me the difference Pat, I found this picture in another forum, this would be gouging, wouldnt it?.

Berettaman7

14. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Hit the link above. This will bring you to the disscussion we had not too long ago about this subject.

Doug

15. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Sadly Halfmile that info could of helped.The guy I bought my BT 100 did a little filing and now the forearm is loose.But it is not galled.

Darr

16. mtn

mtn TS Member

I bought a BT-99 two years ago from Gander Mountain. I lube it up with Rem oil before using it. after 75 round of trap the galling had done it's damage. I called Browning and aked them about the problem. I guy that I spoke to did not want to listen to me at all. He said that any galling was my fault and it was not covered under warrenty. I bought the gun back to Gander Mountain and their sun smith made it right for me and gave me a new shotgun. I now use grease on the hinge area of the only Browning that I will ever own!

Fred

17. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

I seriously doubt that any damage to the receiver or forend is the fault of the consumer but more a very old design flaw which Browning has not shown any interest in correcting at all.

Berettaman7

18. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

"I called Browning and aked them about the problem. I guy that I spoke to did not want to listen to me at all. He said that any galling was my fault and it was not covered under warrenty."

I see they have maintained a consistant attitude since 1980 when I had the dissappointment of sending a then brand new A5 Light 12 in to check out why it was cracking fore ends.

Arrogance, rudness and it was MY fault, I put "too much" oil on the mag tube, they said. Actually our family had several A5's for previous 12 years, without cracking any fore ends and I did no use ANY oil on the mag. I was a major A5 fan at the time and it was a deflating experience.....anyway, I digress.

In 1996 I bought a nice looking, "low mileage", 32" Citori Grade I Trap which was made in 1984, used, from a guy at the club. I looked JUST about everything over. Later I found galling on the hinge pin, I assume it was old damage because I was lubricating the surfaces but who knows for sure? Having lead a sheltered life, I had not known to look for this sort of thing like I do now,

The damage involves 40% of the width of the pin in the center of it's span, by my vernier caliper measurements.

The gun opens and closes very well, locks up tight and shoots great. I keep the pin clean and lubed with STOS and have monitored it for years now and the condition has not got any worse. Beyond cleaning, lubing and inspecting, I leave it alone.

19. oletymer

oletymer Member

Put a good grease on all the pivoting surfaces on any gun and you will not have the problem. My old 77 bt99 with over 100,000 round has no galling. Some people have no idea how to care for a gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning bt galling

browning citori galling around forend iron

browning over under steel gulling

galling in a citori

lubrication points on browning citori

shotgun gaulling at hinge

where to greese browning over under