1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gaining/Loosing Weight and Gun Fit

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mette56, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Haven't shot in 3 years for health reasons but will start again this summer if all goes well w/upcoming surgery. I've gained 25 pounds and my trap gun doesn't fit anymore. Stock is too high and is too long....by quite a bit. Fatter cheeks and shoulder I guess???

Anyone have the same experience or is it just old age setting in...?

milt

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I been all over the block--I hate to say it if your gun is one that can use a PFS--get one.

Phil Berkowitz

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thus the reason for adjustable combs!

4. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Milt,

I've always been very conscious of a few pounds change, what effect it has on my cheek to comb reference. That's where I notice it the most, affecting the POI.

Keep well,
    Jeff

5. mette56

Guess I should add that adjustable comb is all the way down and stock has Soft Touch with 1/2" pad so LOP is shortest it can be w/o major revision. Tried PFC but didn't like.

milt

6. 682LINY

682LINY Member

lost 70 pounds since I got sick over 2 yrs ago,,gun beets the heck out of me,, slowly putting some weight back on,, two more surgurys comming up,,and cant hit a thing,,,hope when I am all healed up can gun fitted again and start having fun,,,had to take up High Power/service rifle shooting for now

7. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Soft touch can shorten the stock for you. I bought my MX-11 from a 6'5" guy, and Moe cut 2" off for me.

8. DanLee

DanLee Member

I haven't noticed any problem with gaining weight and shooting. It's not like my stomach is in the way.

Dan

9. mette56

Well, not all comments have been constructive...but funny anyway. Thanks for the input, concern and laughs...

EuroJoe, I'm sending it back to Soft Touch...Moe has retired-not there anymore but friendly people remain. Bill4807-Try a closet with a humidifier. Dan-really, you only gain weight there? 682LINY-try my Sicilian Speghetti and Meatballs recipe on here a few weeks back for assured weight gain.

:) milt :)

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

milt, why not just shoot higher POI or look lower? As for length, just sit your face somewhere behind where you use to on the stock :)

Its amazing you think that 25lbs. presents problems.LOL

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I lost 150 lbs. and my guns beat me up too....kinda hard to find a good stock fitter in western Canada and then to have any stock work (combs., etc) done up here....

12. mette56

Pheasantmaster:

1st--that gun already shoots 125% high

2nd--if I looked any lower I'd be looking at grass

3rd--when your barely 5'5" tall and have skinny legs, 25#'s is alot. Big and tall guys like you wouldn't understand

and 4th--as for your stock length solution, wouldn't that put me farther away from the target?

respectfully,

milt

13. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

According to many instructors, adding a shirt or jacket can change LOP, and that it matters. Frank Hoppe, in one of his Quick Shots articles in T&F ~a year ago, talked about his diabetes, diet, and subsequent weight loss. Said it was quite a surprise how much it affected his shooting. The pro's tell us to be mindful how we dress and to pay attention to anything that can change LOP and gun fit.

best..mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.