1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GAH winner

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ntgr8, Aug 18, 2013.

1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

I don't have a list of all the GAH winners over the years but my memory says that Kentucky has had more than their fair share. Do they have a special school for 20 yd shooters or is it the water? Whats with Kentucky?

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The good folks in KY have a terrific training program for introducing shooters to the sport of trap shooting! They are blessed with a good year round climate and they do shoot quite a lot! Learning KY windage is but one of the rules of how shotgun games are played.

HAP

3. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Here we go again!!!!

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

In Kentucky 23 yards in long yardage 22 is mid yardage and 20 is short yardage ... I'm glad the young man won or we wouldn't have anything to talk or complain about, hope he played all of the money also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Maybe if ntgr8 wants to win so bad,,,,,,,move to Kentucky.........

6. Straight50

Straight50 Member

About 23 yards is the farthest away from the trap house you can get here and still be shooting level. Even then, the trapper has to load the house from the downhill side. (Very dangerous, usually has a rope tied to himself in case he falls off the mountain.) The central part of the state (horse country) is flat enough but they don't like shotguns around the horses. Twenty three yards is a fur piece fer us!

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I live in Kentucky and shoot both ATA and Games. I respect the shooters from all states, territories and foreign nations.
    My $.02 worth is that there are many, many times the games shooters in Kentucky than ATA shooters. Some clubs have walkways that are set up with 30 yard distance.

Our games shooters often shoot 50 plus yards behind the house often at extreme angles. Growing up, I was told that the ATA was for rich old men who really couldn't shoot except up close. If some of these Kentucky games shooters ever take up ATA, look out.

New shooters sometimes possess the concentration and single mindedness that older shooters try to remember. I shot a 98 from 20 yards my first year in ATA in 1985 and have never shot that well again.

At this year’s Kentucky State Shoot, Keith Ditto won the Handicap championship with a 100 x 100 from the 27.

Congratulations to Joseph Winburn, the 2013 Grand American Handicap champion. May he shoot long and often.

Ed Ward

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Good thing he wasn't "Josephene" Winburn shooting from the 18!