1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GAH Winchester Hull Question?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dewley, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dewley

dewley TS Supporters TS Supporters

Friend brought these bye with intention of selling. His father had them from years ago, I suppose. I know nothing about them to post for sale. Is this the type of hull known as the new style? There is no HS on head. Could not pry the center cup out of tube. There is about a 1000 of them. Pictures worth a bunch of words.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Those are the less desired 2 piece hull. The older compression formed 1 piece are the highly desired.

3. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Those are the highly desired 2 piece HS hull. The older compression formed 1 piece are the less desired.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

regardless, I wouldn't load the cut open ones more than two, maybe three, times..

5. dewley

Big M, I was considering a light load for short yardage with the 2 examples. Grntitan an Mag410-- R you two messin with me,, ??? The answers have got me discabobulatd.

6. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

dewley:

Grntitan told you the straight scoop. Mag410, OTOH, ....

Not sure what generation these are, but, apparently, it was only the first generation, with the AA inside a square, that was the problem hull. Nonetheless, if I shoot reloaded AAs that are not marked H-S, I look down the barrel after each shot.

Since these are several years old, I suppose they could be the first generation that Winchester loaded with the GAH logo.

Perhaps someone else knows for sure.

Bob

7. mag410

mag410 Active Member

These hulls are first generation HS hulls. Some folks wont shoot them as there are reports of base-wads coming loose and lodging in barrels, hence the advice to look down your barrel after every shot. I load on a MEC9000, the primer-seat/powder-drop tube presses the new primer in by pushing against the base-wad, which resets the base-wad "if" it has moved. Some of the other presses seat the primer by pressing it into the hull, thus no pressure on the base-wad. I will be most happy to "dispose" of these properly for you. I will even send a prepaid label to cover the shipping.

Michael

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I agree with mag410, I prefer the newer generations of the 2 piece AA hulls over the older 1 piece AA hulls which would split or give smashed crimps because of the plastic.

9. dewley

mag410 ,, Thanks for the offer. I have been loading a few with some different loads for fire and toss. They make for some nice finished loads appearance wise. Easy to identify in shell bag compared to others. Thanks to all for information furnished.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.