1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GAH Handicap seems to work

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mrskeet410, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

GAH - Handicap system seems to work

It looks like your handicap system works as intended. Just one 100, and that from 27 yards, and the rest of the yardage groups won with 99s and 98s.

That seems to be the way it should be. Am I wrong?

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Thank you..

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Works for me.

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Just wait mrskeet.....someone (or more) will blast your observation. It'll be from those that are trying to dumbdown the competition factors to suit their own failures.

Curt

5. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

the young man that won the GAH with 100 from 27 was also 3rd in the CTC & put up a 99 in doubles for a 399 congratulations to patrick lamont.

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

WOW!! Good for him. That is some shooting. I like it when a long yardage shooter shoots 100 and wins the GAH. No sandbagger talk! Jeff

7. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Oh please, we need to hear from the whiners!!!!!!!!LOL..........Roger

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

#1-almost no one from below 27yds. attends the Grand-I think not.

#2-your chances of winning anything substantial is compromised if your not an above average 27 yard shooter.

#3-Only fools jump in the water with nine hungry sharks.

Wonderful data DB. Where's Pat and Neil for their critical analysis!!

9. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

mrskeet, what you said made no sense at all. How in the world can you conclude that the handicap system is great when the only 100 was from the 27? How many yards is he going to be moved back?

10. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

DB, one of the better posts i have seen. Go one step further and add the cost and expense of shooting today. Some changes needed. The ata started with more trophies. Right direction.

11. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Little Dog - This was the Grand American and therefore a huge crowd of people trying very hard to shoot straight. That is the way it is every year. With so many competitors and good conditions, I am suprised there was only a single 100. I think if you look back at the records, shorter yardage has won more than a few GAHs. If you look at those records, there are not a lot of names you will recognize, a further indicator that anyone can win it.

Back on earth, I have registered more than a few targets and most of them have been at two clubs - WTA in De. and Millington in MD. Like anywhere else, there are more that a few good shooters around with several past and present All Americans. Yet the high score at the MD State Hdcp (this year) was 97, it was a tie and they were not all 27 yarders. The high score at the De State Hdcp was also 97 (2 AAs were tied) but the second score was 96 and was shot from 20.5). So my point is that everyone present at those shoots had an equal chance - heck, I shot a 95 at the Md shoot and I can't shoot handicap worth a darn.

Some here talk like those 100s just come rolling out and they do not. Mr. Kay Ohye has been shooting since 1965 and he only has 17 or 18 of them. And you can bet the ranch that man tries his very best each time out. I think the point of the original post was to note that there were shorter yardage shooters who were right there and only missed one or two. The victory was not a gimme for an All American -

12. Hauser

Hauser Member

grnberetcj

"Just wait mrskeet.....someone (or more) will blast your observation. It'll be from those that are trying to dumbdown the competition factors to suit their own failures."

Explain???

Jerry Hauser

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

THIS is what it is all about. Great shooting!!!!!

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

jerry...

Really, you actually require an explanation?

Curt

15. Hauser

Hauser Member

Yes

Jerry Hauser

16. 870

870 Well-Known Member

What % of the shooters shot from the 27? I'll guess that the 27 had more shooters than any other yardage.

17. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Gary, you are seriously deluded if you think everybody has an equal chance with the current handicap system. Things will never even be close to equal as long as there are honarary punches for some and real punches for others. Phil Kiner can see that so I can't understand why everyone else can't.

18. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

How can there ever be an "equal chance"? We aren't all at the same level of ability, we don't all practice the same amount, or register the same amount of targets. Look at how many handicap targets the big dogs shoot ever year. For most of this decade Leo has shot more than 7000 registered handicap targets a year. Harlan shoots a similiar number, as does Kaye. What the average shooter shoot? 1000 handicap targets year? And they wonder why the big dogs are able to stomp them on a regular basis.

Like I said in a recent post, if the average shooter took the number of singles targets they are shooting now, and shot that amount of handicap instead (and religated singles to the number of handicap targets they're currently shooting) the handicap game would do a complete 180 within a year or two. They're wouldn't be as much bitching about the big dogs (who would still be on top) and there'd be more options being played because more shooters would be shooting better, and giving the big dogs a run for their money.

~Michael

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

When more people break extremely high scores the payouts actually go down. Look what happened to formerly good scores of 95 or 96 today. More ties=more splits!!

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The GAH has always worked. Fudging on the 3 hole rule for years by some clubs and certainly not all, throwing less angle and shorter distances skewed our original game. The official change to 2 hole targets along with ease of gaining yardage is making the 27 group the largest and that trend will continue. I applaud and admire the dedication of guys that can shoot those thousands of targets it takes to stay tuned, mentally and physically, to shoot those top scores/averages!! I feel the change did however change the perception of how others view our game as one of perfection and that may be detrimental to our growth. The history of the game says I'm not too far off in my thinking. We should listen to the wisdom of Phil Kiner for the best for our sport for the long run that counts. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.