1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

G-suared stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dale1957, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale1957

dale1957 Member

What do shooters think of a G-Squared stock? I'm thinking of putting 1 on a New K-80 pro skeet I bought in June'2012. Please be honest and tell it like it is. I've considered a PFS, but think I would spend all my waking hrs. adjusting on it. Thanks

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The G2 has almost as many adjustments as a PFS will have, so it will not save you from yourself.

3. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Don't, I did on a high grade stock and am now sorry. The G squared works great( no problems) but it reduces the value of your gun.Go with a PFS or buy a used G squared, adjust it to your shooting style and keep the original stock for when you sell the gun and you WILL sell the gun.

If you have to have a G squared, make sure that you nail the start and finish time, and the price- He does a good job and is a nice guy;but missed numerous commitments,the job was late and over the estimated price.

4. dale1957

dale1957 Member

Thanks Blackfoot. Thats the type of info people want. This website is circled by profit vultures and the true reason for this website is diminisished. Thanks for the info. That is what this website was designed for. Thanks Dale

5. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Had a G-Squared installed on my Browning XT seven yrs ago and love it. Have a PFS on a Browning BT99 and I can tell you that it has infinitely more adjustment than the G2. Obviously a Browning stock is not really high grade but in the end I'd rather have a stock made out of a fence post that fit than a fancy piece of wood that didn't.

I have found Mike Gregory a great guy to work with, surprised blackfoot had an issue but unfortunate things happen.

Robert

6. dale1957

dale1957 Member

Thanks Robert T. I want to hear your opinion. we need to stick together. the day will come when it will matter. Remember me when it matters. Thanks.

7. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

I bought out a gun dealer and he loved G-Squared recoil reducers. I think they are a real poor product. There were about 8 high end guns with G-Squared recoil reducers installed in the buy out, I either replaced the stocks or had to discount the guns to sell them. Blackfoot is right they will cost you 8-900 to have them installed and then that much off the sale price when you sell the gun.

I have had many guns with Soft-Touch, Bills Recoil System and Clyde Slides and they don't return your investment but unlike the G-Squared they do no take from the value of the gun.

There are much better products on the market

Jim R

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have a Beretta 390 12 gauge with a G-Square and a Beretta 391 20 gauge with a Gracoil. There is no comparison. The Gracoil takes the sting out but the G-Square eliminates ALL the recoil. The 12 gauge with the G-Square has far less recoil then the 20 gauge with the Gracoil.

Make sure the gun fits you BEFORE you have the G-Square installed.

Jim Skeel<BR>P/W Dealer/Distributor

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The G square reducer will reduce more recoil that any other recoil reducer on the market. You can adjust as soft or as hard as you want. I have had several and presently have one on a 303. I can't even feel and recoil on that gun. It does not have the adjustments that the PFS has (I use one of those too, on my Ljutic) but, if you want real recoil reduction I would highly recommend the G2. You want adjustment, buy a PFS.

10. MOP

MOP Active Member

I have three G2 installations on expensive custom stocks. It is the best recoil reducing stock that I have found. Unlike others, it is simple, light weight that does not affect gun balance, and does not wear out. I have found Mike Gregory pleasant to deal with, and he does a first class installation, especially in matching wood finish. To each his own, but I have nothing negative to say about Mike and G2.

11. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

It really has saved me. After neck surgery, I was very concerned about recoil and this has taken away 80-90% of my felt recoil. Definitely recommend.

12. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

I had a G2 instaled on my Perazzi Mirage, it is far better than the other
    famous reducer I have tried. All price quotes were met. Wood finish is
    outstanding.
    Gary

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I shot the Gsquared Shockmaster for several year. I think it is superior to
    anything else I've used, including the Soft Touch. It is easy to adjust and it holds the setting very well. I can't see why anyone would say that the G2 affects the value of a gun anymore than any other system.

Kim Rhode has used the G2 on her Perazzi for years. Enough said.

14. TymToPla

TymToPla TS Member

G Squared Shockmaster ROCKS!!! I will never sell my guns anyway but the value would depend on the market and the individual buyers desires. Wood work, finish and fit was great. Delivery was a little later than promised on one occasion but well worth the wait.

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have always been able to get most of my money out of G-Squared stocks. I got to use the product for may tens of thousands of rounds as well..

I have to say that some of this thread is a lot of horseshit. The G-Squared is the best on the market from a cost VS value standpoint. The PFS is diffrent and really can not be compared to a G-squared. It is excellent in it's own right but not the same as doing a mod to an exsisting stock.

It just goes to show how people can have such polar opposite feelings about the same thing.

You don't modify a trap gun to keep it's resale value! You do it to make the gun shoot better for you. Most anything you do will lower the value in some peoples eyes.

I notice dealers always talk smack about after market recoil devices but as soon as you are trying to buy a gun it's the greatest thing in the world and worth far in excess of what a normal stock is worth.

I have sold 3 diffrent G-Squared stocks after I was through with them and every one sold between 650 and 1200 dollars.

I would love to have the gunstocks that the dealer above had to replace in order to sell the guns. I will sell them so fast it will make your head swim.

100% BS as far as I am concerned. Jeff

16. Jim R

I must have been wrong, I'm sure glad so many people have jumped in here to get get me back on track. To repay this kindness I have two stocks here with G2 systems on them and I will sell them for way below cost.

One stock is for a Beretta EELL, I had it for sale before for $500.00 but now that we all know how great they are I think $750.00 would still be a good price, a guy should be able to buy it and make some money on a re-sale.

[​IMG]

I have an X-73 Ljutic with Delux wood and a G2 system on it. I wanted to sell it for $2200.00 but maybe I should ask for more money. So make me an offer.

[​IMG]

When I go over to the shop next week I will pick up a MX-2000 stock with a G2 system on it, I might as well sell it too.

Jim R

17. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

G2 is an excellent system. But the owner/installer has no sense of time. What ever he says 4 weeks is really 12 weeks. Not very reliable. Fred

18. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    First of all, please forgive the length of this. I am very detail oriented in everything I do, including writing, and I think (as I start this) it’s going to get rather lengthy. :)

Second, thanks to all of you for some very nice things said (Wow!!), it means a lot to myself and my family and I am truly touched.

Now, there is a few odds and ends I feel I must address here, so here goes:

Dale1957: Thanks for considering us, I hope to hear from you. Please let me know If I can answer any questions for you.

Skeet_man: Yes and no, “almost” as many adjustments is the key word here. For one thing, it depends on what options you get with it. In it’s simplest, most basic version, it has 3/16” of comb height adjustment... and that’s it. The PFS is a neat product, and does a lot of things right, but by comparison seems almost infinitely adjustable. The problem as I have always seen it is that you can get completely lost in it’s adjustability (if you’re not careful!), whereas the Shockmaster system will have a know origin point, I.E.: where the comb is bottomed out and centered. You can always, and reliably return to that point. Also, nowadays I almost always “pre-adjust” the comb height for you when I ship it, and note in your instructions where exactly that pre-adjustment was set. This gives you a starting point to go back to should you “get lost in your adjustments”.

Blackfoot: WOW!! Well, as far as the value, see SuperXJeff’s comments above. I just can’t think of anything to add to that. “Over the estimated price”: Well, since I don’t know who you are I cannot comment on your case specifically, but this accusation surprises me a lot. I have been doing this since mid 1993 and since the very beginning have been extremely careful to not let this exact thing happen. What happened between you and I, and how it happened I have no idea. Let me just say this... It has always been me practice to answer price inquiries very exactingly, and to the greatest detail possible, even adding the few “nickel and dime” items such as a spacer, a recoil pad upgrade, or a pump, and pointing out where it does not include shipping. I routinely do all of this just so I don’t surprise people later, and am very sensitive to this. I am always willing to (and in the majority of the cases do) go over a complete, detailed work order including the final price prior to the customer shipping us the gun or stock, and always before beginning any work. Once done, that’s it, that’s the price. I very rarely find anything upon layout that is so un-foreseen and significant that it would cause any kind of price increase, and If I do will always offer to return the stock or gun at no charge if you wish. I am truly sorry if we got crossed up somewhere. As far as the start and finish time I’m just going to cop to it (again, without knowing who you are or what happened). In the old days, when I first started doing this with my father, there was two of us, and we “guaranteed” a three day turnaround. I have for years tried to get back to some semblance of this, but while there were two of us then and my father was basically a form follows function type, I am a perfectionist who likes everything as perfect as I can make it before I ship it. This means that if your stock is particularly difficult and challenging, or one of the stocks prior to you was, I will sometimes run behind schedule. It also puts me behind when I get a lot of phone calls or e-mails, as I answer them all personally! For this reason I seldom will absolutely promise an exact shipping date any more as it just rattles my nerves and frustrates my customers. When you get your stock back though... it’ll be done to my very best ability.

Jim R: You think we have a poor product???? Specifics please!!!! Have you ever tried one?? Did it fit you??? Was it in good working order, or could it have had too much pressure, too little pressure, or been stiff and in need of a rebuild on the recoil reducer (which runs either $35.00 to $50.00 plus shipping), or perhaps been dismantled by others and left either loose or in poor working condition. And the price: “8-900”, no... they start at $945.00 on your stock, and fully optioned will be around $1500.00. Please call for an exact price quote!

Skeeljc: Thanks for the kind words Jim, it’s been a while but I remember you well. Your advice on fit is excellent, as always, but I would like to add one quick thing. It’s always easier and preferable to have a good fit before we start, and we are very good at maintaining that exact fit when we’re done, but we have been tremendously successful over the years at modifying the fit of a gun so that the shooter is able to use our adjustability to fine-tune it afterwards to the correct fit. For instance, many times we have had someone send a stock which is “just a bit too high” and installed the system with the comb 1/8” to 3/16” lower, allowing them to adjust it up from there. I have found the intuition of experience shooters very accurate here. Other times we’ve installed it with the LOP a bit shorter or longer, using either multiple pads or a spacer or two to allow for fine tuning. And by the way, on the very rare instances when we (the shooter and I) have guessed wrong, I have typically altered it a second time for them at no charge (No-ones fault... we just guessed wrong). Again Jim, thank you!

Jim R (Once again): :) OK... to anyone who buys either of these first two stocks pictured here from Jim, I’ll throw in a free inspection, and any minor adjustment, and re-build the recoil reducer. Customer only pays shipping. I’ll also throw in a free instruction kit. By the way, does that second one (the X-73) have an adjustable recoil pad on it?? It it does it’s black anodized after it was shaped. My cost alone on doing that was over $100.00. Beautiful stock.

Fssberson: 12 weeks, really Fred??? 12 weeks????? Really!

19. Jim R

Michael

I called you twice when we were having problems with the G2 on the EELL, my wife’s gun. I had told you that the gap between the end of the comb and the butt pad spacers was pulling her hair and the first time you told me to take it apart and put some tape in that space. I also mentioned that the comb moved side to side, you offered no fix for that. When I called back and said that the tape would not stay put you told me I must have been mistaken. There was no offer to fix the problems and no solutions for a fix. I was willing to pay to have it fixed.

As to the question to the age and adjustment on the units I had, most of them had not been used and the couple that were seen very little use. Of the three that I had with the vinyl covering on the combs I had that replaced with glove leather as the vinyl was peeling off.

I have included a picture of a Ljutic Centennial Pro that the comb keeps wiggling a little from side to side. I have a new stock on order to replace this. I do not make a practice of trashing anyone’s services or product here on Trapshooter.com but in my two phone calls to you I was offered no solution to my problems and I find that unacceptable.

Jim R

[​IMG]

20. jrb100

jrb100 Member

I'm Glad Mike keeps an eye on the threads about his Product,because he CARES about what people think.I had the G squared done on my model twelve a few years ago and loved it.I moved to another gun,but loved the stock.If you have a problem with something,don't you think you should explain what it was instead of trashing someone who is trying to give a premium product to sometimes anal customers.
    Keep up the good work Mike.

joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.