1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

G-squared (G2 Shockmaster) Recoil System

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Erin Collins, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erin Collins

Erin Collins TS Member

I have suffered terribly from recoil problems. I had a bruised, sometimes bleeding cheek and tendinitis in the rotator cuff of my shoulder. It was so bad I seriously considered giving up on trapshooting altogether, although I love it very much. I received some very valuable advice from many posters on this site over the past year and I finally made the decision to go with the G-squared shockmaster (G2) recoil system by Michael Gregory. I received the system on 20 June and I have put almost 2000 rounds through it. This outstanding system, together with help from Rollin Oswald and his Stock Fitters Bible , have completely eliminated my recoil problems. This is the best money I’ve ever spent on trapshooting.

It is a very good looking system and I purchased every available option so that it could be fitted to me including a four-way adjustable comb, a four-way adjustable butt plate, 2 combs (soft and wood to match stock), adjustable recoil pad, adjustable LOP. Michael also customized both combs to my specifications and installed the system through a top access hole because the original, after-market adjustable comb had been cut down too far. I prefer the wood comb to the soft comb because the synthetic material on the latter irritates my sensitive skin in humid weather. His workmanship is very fine. The travel of the stock is imperceptible to me, it resets immediately, and it is completely silent. These benefits are most notable while shooting doubles. There is absolutely no jolting or canting when the gun resets. Added weight was a mere 4 ounces. I was really surprised by how similar it is to shooting a regular stock – I busted 99/100 in my first round of competition with it. The system is so simple to use – I can adjust all the options with a single allen key and the air pressure is adjusted through an access hole in the butt. 110 psi seems to be the perfect setting for me while shooting with 1 ounce, 2 ¾ dram no. 8 shells. The gun does not collapse on my shoulder, although I hold it quite firmly.

Of course, the stock must fit and Rollin Oswald’s advice was instrumental in perfecting the stock fit for me. Indeed, he was kind enough to correspond with me by phone and email to help clarify and add to the valuable advice in his book. I offset the comb slightly and added ¼ inch tapered spacer to increase pitch. Now that the stock is not pounding me in the face, I can also hold a more natural, upright head position. I have very pronounced collar bones and the stock was rotating upwards on the bone. Rollin suggested I add a pad to my vest to correct this. These four adjustments helped to perfect the G2 system.

Overall, this is an outstanding recoil system. I am overjoyed by the quality and effectiveness of this system and immediate improvement in my shooting and felt recoil. Also there is absolutely no movement on my face. The other great thing is you only need to send the stock (not the receiver) to Michael for installation. This is a terrific option for those of us in Canada (or elsewhere in the world) who may have trouble shipping gun parts across the border. It is also notable that I was desperate to have the stock back in time to participate in the Canadian Trapshooting Championships, which were being held at my own club this year. Michael understood how important this was to me and worked nights and weekends to make this happen; under 3 weeks lapsed from when I first called him and when he installed the system and shipped the stock back to me. Finally, its worth mentioning that a friend has had this system for almost 20 years and none of the components, including the air cylinder, have worn out. My only regret is that I waited so long to have this system installed.

If you are experiencing recoil I suggest you run, don’t walk, to the following:

Michael Gregory
    G-Squared Shockmaster
    1634 Parker Lane
    Ramona California 92065-2656
    Email: Michael@shockmaster.com
    Phone: 760-788-8888

Rollin Oswald
    Stock Fitter’s Bible: Removing the Mystery
    Email: www.stockfitting.com
    Phone: 920-464-0124

Erin Collins
    Ontario, Canada

erincollins_2010_10087.jpg

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Michael is a class act as is his G-Square system. Though pricey by some standards I consider his recoil system to be the best investment available, short of having a stock custom fitted and made to order which is truly expensive.

Erin, you've not only solved the immediate need to correct stock fit. You've potentially added years of shooting enjoyment due to reduced recoil fatigue on the old bones.

Congratulations,

Robert

3. Erin Collins

Erin Collins TS Member

Thanks Robert!

4. MOP

MOP Active Member

I can say from personal experience that a well fitted custom stock with a G2 is as good at reducing recoil as anything.

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The G2 is the finest system available period. I have owned them all and multiples of many of them. I have owned Gra-coil, Soft Touch, Rad, Clyde Slide, The browning system used on the old Superposed as well as the system used on BT-99 Plus and Citori Plus guns. I have never owned a Stock Lock but I am not willing to spend 3 grand on a system.

All of these systems have a place.

When it comes to how well the unit reduces felt recoil the G-squared does it better then all the rest FOR ME with the easiest adjustabilty. The system is bulletproof and the adjustments are easily repeatable.

The cost is in perfect line with what you get. Service is second to none when dealing with Mike.

Guys, I want to be clear. I am not slamming anybody mentioned servce. I have not heard one bad word about most of the people currently building systems.

Cost can be a factor and there are cheaper units out there and if cost is your number one concern I would wait to make a purchase and save my pennies. Buy once and cry once is my way of looking at it.

If recoil is hurting your shooting you can spend a fortune just trying to fix it. The cost of fuel, coaching, ammo, practice round's and just the mere frustration of performing at less then your best makes it well worth spending the extra money to buy a G-square Shockmaster system.

The lie about recoil is this. We feel ( many of us) that recoil does not affect us. In the early part of a trapshooters journey it may well be true. My heartfelt belief is that recoil is CUMULATIVE!!!!! We may not feel kicked today and maybe not tomorrow but when we start rasing our head and coming out of the gun it starts SLOWLY! We may not even come all the way out of the gun at first!

One day after the gun goes bang and you hear lost target you realize that your head is pretty far from the stock. You think " huh? that's strange!" I can't remember doing that before. It may be the first time your head came all the way off the stock. Then again maybe it wasn't. You can have your head off the stock and still break a target and you can get away with a lot of mistakes from the 16 yard line and still break a target.

Moving your head and the crowd pleasing flinch are all the end results of recoil to the face and poor stock fit and a host of other issues but the root cause in my opinion is recoil. I think recoil to the face is the number one cause of headlifting and flinches.

A G-squared system from the begining of a trapshooters career would keep a whole bunch of folks from ever having to deal with all those issues. Headlifting can be the end of a trapshooter. A G-Squared is a better investment then the best, highest price fancy shotgun ever made. It will do more for your shooting then any of them. That is my opinion. I wish I would have had one when I started out. I seldom shoot anymore but I still have G-squares on my target guns as well as my hunting guns. Jeff

6. James.c

James.c Member

Erin, you forgot to mention that you were still a great shooter without the g-sqaured. but i gotta say she does shoot amazing with the G-sqaured and after shooting a couple shells with it i can see why people enjoy them so much.

James.C

7. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I talked to Mike today and I have a question for you.

On what type of gun did you have it installed??

I have a top of the line CG Maxum Combo with an un-molested stock.

In talking to Mike he thinks he can use my existing comb.

It's Turkish Walnut and I'd hate to loose that. What did you

find?? I have my present comb offset to the right about 3/8

of an inch. I guess I'm just squeamish about having the buttstock

milled off straight. Any suggestions would be more then welcome.

Mike Cunningham
    Groveland, CA

8. RobertT

Had Mike use the existing wood for the comb on my XT which has excellent wood, the finished product looks outstanding. Three eigth's is a lot of offset, though I believe achievable with the G2. Be sure to discuss this issue with Mike if you haven't already.

Robert

9. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

what do you do when the air starts leaking out, how long do the seals last. Thanks Stan

10. RobertT

Stan, I've had mine for 7yrs with no leaks. I check the air pressure every 6mos. though it never seems to need it. Was told that failure is very rare even with units 20yrs old or better. If anyone has ever experienced a failure I would like to hear there experience.

Robert

11. porky

porky TS Member

I love the G-squared recoil on my Kreighoff. I did have a failure that I had Mike fix, but that was years ago. It has been great ever since.

12. Erin Collins

Erin Collins TS Member

@ James C. LOL thanks!

@ Mike - I have a Beretta 682 and it had an aftermarket adjustable comb that was poorly installed so my original wood could not be used for the comb. Michael did an excellent job of matching and staining the wood on the new comb. BTW I'm not a fan of the synthetic leather option for the comb because it irritated my skin. Plus the wood is better looking

Best wishes,
    Erin

13. MOP

MOP Active Member

Mike re-used my comb on a custom Perazzi stock that has 3/8" offset. No stock dimensions were changed, and he did an excellent job of matching the finish at the comb cut,

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The air pressure Schrader Vave needs to be replaced with a Refrigeration Schrader Valve w/teflon or nylon sealing components that are easily seen when you remove the Schrader Valve.

I had a cylinder that was leaking air, I was told they don't leak, I took out the cylinder and put it in a glass of water w/120psi in the cylinder, and very, very small bubbles could be seen coming from around the shaft.

I could not get him to send me a cylinder to replace my defective one, and that I had to send him my cylinder before sending me a replacement.

This was during peak shooting season and needed the gun to shoot, my friend had the same exact problem, so we took the cylinder apart and got some better "O" rings and fixed the problem, the new "O" Rings I believe are a Dupont product.
    The "O" rings are not rubber. And I have a large supply of the Refrigeration Schrader Valves, having been in the Refrigeration Business for years. I also use
    Poly-Oil Eyster Oil, it is synthetic oil, for refrigeration use on new refrigerants.

GB
    DLS

15. Doorknee

Doorknee TS Member

I shot with the originater of the G2 recoil reduction system in the "80s" many times at Mir Mar in San Diego. His name was Glen Gregory and he used his 1st and last initails for his logo- GG hence G2.(G squared)
    Don D.

16. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

I shoot a Perazzi Mirage. I have added a Bumpbuster, which has helped, but
    I still feel some recoil. Would you believe that a G2 would help even more,
    I do have a spare stock that I could have it installed on. Would appreciate
    any inputs. Thanks, Gary Owen

17. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

I have had three G2 units in the past 4 years-one on a K80 skeet gun; one on a BT99 Golden Clays; and one on my Perazzi MX3 Combo. I quit skeet when Mira Mar closed here since there were few registered skeet targets to be had in S. Cal. and sold the K-80. I took up trap and immediately had each gun equipped with G2 systems. I have soft comb and completely adj. comb for both cast and height.

I have had zero problems with air leakage. The occasional cylinder can leak but if you send it to Mike via overnight mail you can have it back pronto. As to how long they last, I shoot with a CA All State shooter who has literally put 10s of thousands rounds through his guns. All have G2 units. I think in all that time, well over five years, he has had only one develop a leak. Easily repaired with a new seal by Mike. He has one that has the original cylinder which I know has had over 50000 rounds through it. Don't worry about air leaks.

They are the best unit for the price going today in my opinion. Mike Gregory is a perfectionist and a wizard with wood. If you have a high end gun you are considering his device you can feel comfortable with his work. I live close enough to visit him in his shop when I want a new unit or a mod to one of mine and I have seen some of the highest end Krieghoff, Kolar, Perazzi, Beretta, etc guns there, many from years-long repeat customers. He must be doing something right!

With my arthritis and neck problems, without the G2, I could not shoot trap. Period.

I do know one guy shooting a Pro Soft(sic?), the unit that uses magnets to dampen recoil and he loves it. But it is over twice the price. Beyond my league.

The Gracoil that was on my BT99 when I bought it can't even come close to a Shockmaster. I have also shot RAD guns and Bump Busters that belong to others and I'll stick with the G2. Not knocking them; in their price range they do reduce recoil some. But not like an air cylinder device.

18. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have shot tens of thousands of rounds through my g-squared shooting system guns and never had a leak but if I did Mike would fix it ASAP.

You worry about a leak? Try shooting a soft touch when teh cylinder goes bad. They are junk when that happens. At least with a G2 you can pump it up and use it! I have seen guys with leaks do just this. I askwed one guy why he didn't just have Mike fix it and he said it held air for a full weekend shoot so he wasn't going to bother!

Hey.. When the hydraullic fluid comes out of your Soft Touch system you are done! and he charges 150.00 for a new cylinder that may last 5 years or it may last 6 months. I had enough of that BS.

You want something cheap? This isn't the product for you.

If you want somewthing that makes you feel as though you got more then you paid for? Then buy a G-squared (G2 Shockmaster) Recoil System.

Jeff

19. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

Cunninmp;

I have a G2 on my CG Maxum with the original comb.It was refinished to match perfectly with the stock.Shoot me an e-mail if you wish and I'll send you a pic when I return from vacation in early Aug.

Unit never leaks ! I shoot @85 psi with 3 dram loads and a recoil pad in my vest.Never feel anything.

Ned

20. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Thanks to all for the input. Ned, I would like to see a picture of your
    CG. Send to gary@wesnd.com, Thanks, Gary Owen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

g squared recoil reducer

g squared recoil system

g-squared recoil system

g-squared shockmaster youtube