1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Square vs Gracoil

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hard Cash, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hard Cash

Hard Cash TS Member

What is your opinion betwen the G-Square Shockmaster and the Gracoil rEcoil reduction systems ?

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Apples and lemons. G-squared is a far better system, but then you get what you pay for.

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

G-Squared is the ultimate recoil reducer.

Jim Skeel

4. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

shot410ga has pretty much explained it, period ! I have owned the G Squared on a couple of guns, and they are great.........Rob

5. himark

himark Well-Known Member

1 oz lighter load....best recoil reducer I ever tried!

6. Borderland

Borderland Member

Ability to fit your own buttplate and recoil pad=advantage Gracoil////
    Able to adjust length of pull =advantage Gracoil////
    Able to use off the shelf and better adjustable comb hardware=advantage Gracoil////

Made of metal rather than plastic =advantage Gracoil////
    Cost of purchase =advantage Gracoil////

Able to adjust tension (spring versus air) =advantage Equal possibly G2

I have both and both are good products...I have more confidence in the Gracoil.
    The recoil reduction is somewhat better in the G2 but both are effective.
    For very heavy loads I would give the advantage absolutely to G2

I like to purchase and fit my own adjustabale butt plate and recoil pad and this is somewhat restricted with the G2.

Ken

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

A G-Square is far better but it is also more expensive. a G-Square will not fit certain autoloaders. a Gracoil will. so depending on what your needs are depends on what you may buy. I have and do own both. The Gracoil is a fine product but a G2 it is not and if a g2 would fit into a Sx-1 I would never own a Gracoil. That said.. If you are going to shoot only one load and it is a fairly stiff load, a Gracoil may be just the ticket. The difference in price and ease of installation of the Gracoil it's almost worth it to install a Gracoil first and see if it will do all you want. If you are going with a 4 way adjustable comb and not just a simple butt only installation I would buy the G2. I own gracoil;s, g2's, j@S air cushion, as well as Hydra coils and soft touches. My favorite overall is the g2 if price is an option. If price is not an option I like the J@S air cushion.

It really is an Ford VS Yugo question. Jeff

8. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Not familiar with the G-square - however - I am very familar with the Gracoil. The Gracoil does not have floating steel threaded inserts for the recoil pad. the Gracoil simply threads fixed holes in aluminum. If you take that pad off a couple of times, you will strip those holes putting the pad back on. the gracoil is very thick - you must cut your stock down and grind/sand the darn thing forever - too much metal.

As far as recoil reduction, having the stock move as you fire is another problem for me. I feel a better fitted stock is the way to go. If the movement does not bother you, save a few more dollars and get a PFS. Now you can really adjust.

9. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

how much weight does the G-squared add to a gun? I know a guy at my club who had one installed on a K80 32" sporter. After the install, the gun felt lighter than before the install. I thought it would add more weight vice being lighter.

10. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    Thanks to all of you for the kind words, we appreciate it very much! Just to answer a couple of things that came up here... We can do Beretta 390's, and 391's, with very little difficulty. We also can get them down as short as 13 5/8' LOP. Benelli semi-autos are kind of hit and miss. I have done them occasionally, and I can tell you that it is more likely that we can if it has a step rib or high rib, but I think that we have done one or two with flat ribs. Unfortunately, I just can't tell for sure on this particular gun until I get it in here and lay it out. Remington 1100's and 1187's... usually not (unfortunately). The biggest problem here is that the stocks are so thin that my 1" wide hardware wants to stick out of the side of the stock when we install it. We have done a few over the years, but I believe that the ones that we were able to do not only had custom stocks on them, which were left wider than the factory originals, but they may have also had high ribs, which often will make our job a bit easier in any case.

As far as the weight change is concerned, the system itself will usually only add 2 to 3 ounces in it's standard form, and 5 to 6 ounces if the optional adjustable recoil pad is included also. This small amount of weight change is the reason that we use Delrin (or acetyl) to make our endplates, rather than aluminum, which is substantially heavier. I no longer automatically weigh every one that we do, as I used to, but am happy to give you a beginning and ending weight upon request. I simply quit weighing them a few years ago because they were all experiencing about the same weight change. To sernv99: The k-80 that you speak of could very well have lost weight, I have seen this happen occasionally! Usually when this happens it is because we removed an adjustable comb, as we must do if it exists in order to install our own hardware, or removed another device from the back such as a Gracoil. Other things that can cause weight loss are the removal of a mercury reducer from inside the stock, or going from a fairly thick recoil pad, such as a Kick -Eez, to a thinner one. I am not picking on Kick-Eez here, and we install a lot of Kick-Eez pads, but the thickest ones can get a bit heavy, and our system is not terribly dependent on the softness of the recoil pad for it's recoil reduction. So, yes, while it is not super common, we do occasionally see a stock lose weight when it leaves here.

Thanks again folks! Mike

11. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

I have shot the Graycoil on my Beretta 682 Gold EX for the last 7 years, and my Guerini Maxum with a G-Squared for the past few weeks.There is no comparison ! The G-Squared is so far superior, that I have no conscious memory of any recoil after shooting, and this is with 3 dram 1-1/8 oz #8 & #7-1/2. Not so with the Graycoil. If you can afford the cost of the G-Squared, it's a no-brainer.

Ned

12. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

G-Squared has no equal for recoil reduction and durability. They are simply that good. But damn they cost more than the guns i shoot. 750.00 303 or 390 and then 1100.00 for a recoil system. Just don't seem right huh.

13. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I got a G-2 for the fact that it was the lightest recoil reducing set-up I could get. It added 3 1/2 oz total to my TM1 stock & this with a 4 way comb. It is more expensive but really works well. And I shoot nothing heavier than a 2 1/2 dram 1 1/8th. I do have both units & prefer the G-2

14. jrb100

jrb100 Member

I had mike put one on my model 12 monte carlo stock last fall,but we spoke acouple of times before I sent it out just to see if i wanted to spend 1100.00 on the system on my 800.00 gun.I have owned several other guns,but shoot the model 12 better,so I asked him to keep my stock specs the same(I have alot of down pitch).I sent it out and I was thrilled with it when I used it,I let several people shoot it and got all positive feedback.I used to have a flinch when I pulled the trigger(close eyes).It took several months for for my brain to realize there was nothing to fear anymore,but I do not flinch anymore and have shot much better.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Joe in mass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
benefits of gracoil butt plate

g square recoil reducer

g squared recoil reducer forum
g2 shock master
gracoil recoil reduction
gracoil recoil reduction system