1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

G-LOOMIS "splinter" question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pullbangloss, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Hey guys,

There's got to be some fisherman out there! LOL. I've got a G-Loomis IMX 722 6' Fast Action rod that has a splintered on the outer surface only. I'm wondering what kind of issues, if any, I would run into if I continue to use the rod. Is this thing going to break on me with the next walleye? Also wondering if this is repairable or not. I'd hate to send it back to Loomis and them tell me it is not covered on the warranty.

Thanks in advance.

Matt Ski

2. droptine

droptine TS Member

G-LOOMIS

Matt,
    I had the tip break off my G Loomis steelhead rod on the first trip out. My buddies thought it was hilarious. I called them and they sent me a new one in three days, no questions asked. They billed me fifty bucks, not bad for a $300+ pole. You then return your pole in the tube they sent you. If you don't return your broken pole, you will get charged the full cost of a new one.

EW

3. SR1

SR1 TS Member

G-LOOMIS

I have a G-Loomis fly rod and love it. I would send it back its only 50 bucks to expidite it and you will have a new rod in 2-3 days send the junk one back and your set.

4. gotbass

gotbass Member

G-LOOMIS

Send it back before fishing gets any better. All good. Mike

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

G-LOOMIS

If I spend 300 bucks on a fishing rod & it goes mashugga the first time out...they better damn well not charge me 50 bucks to replace it!

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

G-LOOMIS

Matt Ski, I would give the rod back to the retail outlet store you bought the rod at and have them look at it and go from there. If you bought it on-line I would find a retail outlet nearby that handels G-Loomis and let them look at it and go from there. I don't think that one strand fiber is going to hurt anything as far as fishing goes, just a ugly spot thats hard on the eyes is all. But you should find out from a local dealer. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

7. 3357

3357 Member

G-LOOMIS

It sounds like you fractured the outer scrim. At somepoint in the future it will probably fail. You can fish it until it fails and then spend the $50 to get a replacement.

8. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

G-LOOMIS

Thanks for the feedback guys. I talked to the local retailer tonight and they advised me to send it back. They also gave me a brochure explaining their Xpedite service. My only question is that the rod is not truly broken. I'd hate to send it in and them tell me it's not broken but by the sounds of it the "No questions asked" should take care of this one. Worse comes to worse the rod may have an "accident" to quality for the service.

Thanks again for the input guys. I knew the TS.comers would come thru.

Break 'em all, catch 'em all!

Matt Ski

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

G-LOOMIS

My fave rod is a 7 wt loomis. Wonderful casting qualities. And I cast bass bugs.

10. SR1

SR1 TS Member

G-LOOMIS

I have a 8wt GL3 9'9" fly rod that I use for salmon and steelhead its the best rod I have ever used. I also have a 9' 8wt Fenwick that I broke once while fishing I sent it back and they made me pay $110 to replace it so much for their "lifetime" warrenty. I bought the Loomis rod because a buddy has one and he broke it while fishing on the salmon river one fall. He called them up gave them $50 and had the new rod in 2 days no questions asked. Fenwick rods are good rods I own a cpl of them but I will buy a Loomis over a Fenwick any day now because of their "lifetime" warrenty. The rod I bought was $300 and its was money well spent.

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

G-LOOMIS

Folks,

Is it just me here, or does this "$50 replacement" deal look like a bit of a sham? It sounds to me like they just don't want you to take it back to the dealer and get your money back - and the $50 replacement is just the loss-prevention tool so they don't have to stand behind the full price of the rod.

Taking your $300 back from the dealer would really hurt them...but it sounds like the factory will give you $50 rods until the cows come home. They've probably only got $40 of cost in the rod (if that much), and as long as they keep you on the hook for the initial $300, they've got what they wanted out of you.

I dunno, just wondered what those of you familiar with Loomis think. If the rod is truly defective, it seems to me like you should get a new one free of charge.

12. SR1

SR1 TS Member

G-LOOMIS

There is only a $50 dollar charge if you want to have a new one sent in 2-3 days. If you send the rod into their warrenty dept there is no charge they will replace it with the same rod or if its no longer avalible they will give you one that is the next grade better. My buddy paid the 50 bucks to get the new rod because he broke it on the first day of a week long trip. We went to a Loomis dealer in town and he let him use a rod till his came in seeing how the dealer did not have that modle in stock.

13. 1oz

1oz Member

G-LOOMIS

Yes theres another type of warrantee that they offer .Ive sent numerious rods back with always a new rod comming shortly after and i memory serves me right it was 20 dollars to cover their shipping and handling

14. crusha

crusha TS Member

G-LOOMIS

Ok, got it...that seems better.

15. shadow

shadow Active Member

G-LOOMIS

Climb to the attic Cuban Cigar--check and see what the rod is and shoot me a P.M.

16. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

G-LOOMIS

I've sent a couple back to G. Loomis after poltergeists closed rear windows or doors in vehicles and when I got a new one for fifty bucks I thought myself lucky and then some.

Neil

17. smoking clays

smoking clays Member

G-LOOMIS

Cubancigar if you find out which model rod you have P.M me the model and a price maybe i buy it from you.

Randy Walker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.