1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FYI re: AIM National Championships

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by radtechbb, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radtechbb

radtechbb TS Member

I received information today that I thought anyone participating in AIM and the prelim week of The Grand should be made aware of. Apparently the AIM is going to be considered and as a totally seperate shoot from The Grand. No All American Points will be given, will not be included in the HAA/HOA, will not count as a carryover for Event 10, and if your in the middle of shooting the AIM and you miss your handicap or doubles squad oh well. I think that ATA should work with these students instead of penalizing them for participating.

2. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Part of the reason our program has dropped AIM and stuck to SCTP this year.

ATA treats the AIM program like an ugly step-child.

SW

3. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

I heard in New York the ATA Delegate, Brian Whalen, got rid of the State Director because the numbers they produced for the shoot weren't worth the bother. It's a sad day when kids are a bother. Well, what is AIM's loss will be SCTP's gain. The state shoot in New York is underway and the delegate is up for election again, I hope they vote him out.

4. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Last year the scores of AIM and the Grand "over lapped" and it was a nightmare to sort out. It became so complicated, very few could understand the final determination of some winners. This is an effort to keep things simple, so even a trapshooter can understand it. I've raised my kids with the understanding that "You can't have it all, all the time". Look at it this way, the adults can't shoot one event at the Grand and have it count for their state shoot score or their zone score, etc. This year, the AIM singles will be shot on Saturday after the Krieghoff Handicap (Grand program event); on Sunday the AIM singles will continue as the first event (second half of the NRA Singles) in the morning followed by the Wenig Doubles in the afternoon. There shouldn't be a problem for any AIM shooter or any ATA shooter to squad responsibly and be able to shoot all the events.

5. radtechbb

radtechbb TS Member

I understand that there was ALOT of issues with last years AIM. I have also been told that the survey that was sent out voted 60% to move the AIM to Monday and Tuesday before The Grand, that way no problem with anything interferring with other shoots and all the scores would count. But apparently the 40% got the majority rule. And as far as something counting for another shoot being held at totally different times and places, no it shouldn't count, but this is same time, same place, and even being listed in the same program.

6. perga1

perga1 Active Member

StonewallRacing, how many of the SCTP scores count for All American points? JRM

7. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

As far as the NY delagate go, you would be ahead to get a new ASAP
    Chuck

8. Blaserboy94

Blaserboy94 TS Member

I think that it's safe to say that Brian Whalen is still delegate, considering that no one ran against him.

9. StonewallRacing

Perga,

None....

Only one shoot my son attended all year earned AA points...

And your point is????

SW

10. KeepWoodOnWood

KeepWoodOnWood Member

Russ,

It seems like we ran into a similar scoring complication with the AIM shoot at the MN State Shoot this weekend. It wouldn't seem that a separate spreadsheet should be necessary. It would seem that the scoring software used for the event should be able to handle this scenario. I would imagine that the back end behind the scoring software is a database. Seems like you add a column to a table to designate an AIM participant and then add a query to pull the values out and sort them.

Perhaps that over simplifies it, but the main point is that if AIM is here to stay and to be shot during other ATA events, then perhaps the ATA should approach the scoring software developers to modify their code to handle the ATA's new requirements.

Ron

11. KeepWoodOnWood

KeepWoodOnWood Member

The page linked above would seem to contradict the information in this post regarding the timing of the AIM championships.

Saturday, August 7th
    9 AM - 5 PM: Practice (Banks 25-27 - East End)
    *9 AM: First 100 targets
    TBA: Beretta exhibition shooter at the Grand Stand area
    TechPro Shoot Out
    ATA/Beretta Pizza Party behind the Grand Stands

Sunday, August 8th
    9 AM: Practice (Banks 25-27 - East End)
    *8 AM: Second 100 targets
    TBA: Shoot-Offs and Awards Ceremony

* Event Shooting Times may be changed depending on attendance.

I contacted the ATA and they stated that the above is the current schedule for the AIM Championships.

Ron

12. wilschetz

wilschetz TS Member

Over 1500 young shooters at the SCTP Nationals this past week! Need I say more?

13. 870

870 Well-Known Member

wilshetz:

Then I assume you agree all of radtechbb's complaints in the OP are pointless since none of the SCTP targets count toward the Grand American HAA, HOA or carryover to Event 10?

14. wilschetz

wilschetz TS Member

What I’m saying is that SCTP was the first, is still the biggest, and continues to provide an outstanding youth shooting program. If you’re interested in HAA, HOA or carryover to event 10, shoot ATA (Junior or Sub-Junior). But if introducing new young shooters to the shooting sports is your desire, I’d recommend the SCTP!

15. StonewallRacing

I agree with you wilschetz, could not have said it better.

SW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.