1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FYI Only - Jim Zumbo writes to the Senate.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BuckGuru, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

JIM ZUMBO

March 28, 2007

An Open Letter to the
    United States Senate

Dear Honorable Ladies and Gentlemen:

It recently came to my attention that one of your colleagues, Michigan Sen. Carl Levin, has chosen to attack firearms owners using remarks I wrote in mid-February as his launch pad. As you probably know, Sen. Levin has been making anti-gun speeches every week for the past eight years because of a promise he made to the Economic Club of Detroit in May 1999.

Mr. Levin has an agenda, and he should have spoken to me before using my name in one of his speeches, especially since his remarks were entered into the Congressional Record. I would like my remarks here entered into the Congressional Record as well.

Sen. Levin is only one of 16 members of the Senate to vote against the Vitter Amendment to the Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act. This amendment prohibits the confiscation of a privately-owned firearm during an emergency or major disaster when possession of that gun is not prohibited under state or federal law.

Eighty-four senators voted for that amendment, inspired by the egregious confiscation of firearms from the citizens of New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina in the summer of 2005. Those seizures, you will recall, led the Second Amendment Foundation and National Rifle Association to join in a landmark civil rights lawsuit in federal court that brought the confiscations to an abrupt end.

The taking of private property without warrant or probable cause – even firearms – was considered an outrage by millions of American citizens, and yet Sen. Levin joined 15 of his colleagues in voting against this measure. It is no small wonder that Sen. Levin gets an “F” rating from gun rights organizations. He would have American citizens disarmed and left defenseless at a time when they need their firearms the most, when social order collapses into anarchy and protecting one’s self and one’s family is not simply a right and responsibility, it becomes a necessity.

That in mind, Sen. Levin must know that almost immediately after I wrote those remarks, I recanted and apologized to the millions of Americans who lawfully and responsibly own, compete with and hunt with semi-automatic rifles. I took a “crash course” on these firearms and visited with my good friend Ted Nugent on his ranch in Texas, where I personally shot an AR-15 and educated myself with these firearms.

Some of us learn from our mistakes, others keep making them. Legislation to which Sen. Levin alluded, HR 1022, would renew the ban on so-called “assault weapons,” and dangerously expand it to encompass far more perfectly legal firearms. For the Congress of the United States to even consider such legislation is an affront to every law-abiding firearms owner in this country.

This legislation that Sen. Levin appears to endorse is written so broadly as outlaw not only firearms, but accessories, including a folding stock for a Ruger rifle. As I understand the language of this bill, it could ultimately take away my timeworn and cherished hunting rifles and shotguns – firearms I hope to one day pass on to my grandchildren – as well as millions of identical and similar firearms owned by other American citizens.

It is clear to me that the supporters of this legislation don’t want to stop criminals. They want to invent new ones out of people like me, and many of you, and your constituents, friends, neighbors and members of your families. They will do anything they can, go to any extremes they believe necessary, to make it impossible for more and more American citizens to legally own any firearm.

In his final paragraph, Senator Levin misrepresents what I said. I never spoke in favor of a general assault weapons ban. Again, I immediately apologized for my blog statement that was exclusively directed toward hunting and not gun ownership.

I will not allow my name to be associated with this kind of attack on the Second Amendment rights of my fellow citizens.

A few weeks ago, in a letter to Alan Gottlieb, chairman of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, I promised to educate my fellow hunters about this insidious legislation “even if I have to visit every hunting camp and climb into every duck blind and deer stand in this country to get it done.”

I will amend that to add that I will bring my effort to Capitol Hill if necessary, even if I have to knock on every door and camp in every office of the United States Senate. In promoting this ban, the Hon. Carl Levin does not speak for me, or anybody I know.

Sincerely,

James Zumbo

Cody, Wyoming

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Can anyone verify if this letter is true?<br>
    <br>
    I have been a staunch, outspoken critic of Zumbo. I have stated that I will not accept his apologies until he redeems himself by his actions, not words. If this is indeed a factual example of his actions, then I would chalk it up as a good start, though he has a long ways to go to undo his damage, and that's going to require more work along these lines for some time.

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I agree with Brian. IF this is genuine It's a good start, But much is left for him to do before I will let him off the hook.

Jim

4. JRD

JRD TS Member

I'm no Zumbo fan by any means. However, at least he was man enough to stand up and tell them that he was in the wrong when he stated what he did. It's still gonna take more action than one letter to forgive and forget what he did though. But he's in the right direction I guess.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Think he can put the baby back where it came from?

HM

'

6. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

It was sent to me by NRA/ILA. I would take it to be true.
    I think this man can stil be a great service to us. Like I said in the past-Let's see what he does now before we past to strict of judgement on him. I know he he made a serious mistake, but he can still be a good ally.
    Sonny Daniels

7. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

As Dan mentions, it is from the NRA. Click the link to view it there.

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

If you look back in the original threads about forgiving Mr Zumbo you can see my quotes that we should see what kind of good he can accomplish in his position in the act of getting back into our good graces.....I've already forgiven him, because he was wrong out of ignorance. He has since "educated" himself...and I think the exposure his enlightened words will get will surely be invaluable and louder, reaching more ears I'm sure, than those of us Peons ever could

9. Brian in Oregon

Calvin, I hope you are right and his retractions are not simply because he wants to get back on the freebie guns and guided hunts bandwagon, but because he realizes he hurt the pro-Second Amendment movement. That's why many of us are waiting to see if this is a flash in the pan or a genuine turnaround, and only time will tell that with actions.

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

It's a good start!

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Magnum...I think he has...he has made loud statements to those idiots for whom our voices are non-existant..and I truly think he is sincere..yeah..he f-d up but he's human...just like US...when was the last time you walked on water?? we don't have to ever forget, but people that have done way more damage than he has, can and have redeemed themselves..let him keep doing his thing and see where it takes us a group

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have been wrong before but I suspect that this is just one of many such letters to come. I think Zumbo will make it clear to the anti-gun lobby that using his comments will result in a letter to the contrary each time it is done. If he does it enough I think they will stop using him as an example.I don't think Zunbo has any delusions at this point about ever having an outdoor career. Zumbo is done this is just a matter of how his legacy will look. Jeff

13. slickhead

slickhead Active Member

Guys enough of bashing Zumbo. He made a mistake!!! We all do!!! We ALL need a man with this kind of knowledge. He has admitted his mistake. He is trying to make things right and from this letter you can tell he is going to work like HELL and with a vengence to see that not a stone is left unturned to do THE RIGHT THING!!!! DAMN

14. wy_don

wy_don TS Member

I suspect all of us have made some real bonehead mistakes in our lives, I know I have. Lets all hope that this one was Jim Zumbo's last one. He can be a powerful and articulate spokesman for all gun owners. We can support him (assuming no further mistakes) and keep him on our side; alternately, if we do not support him he could go to "the dark side."

Don Ewing, Wyoming - and no, I have never met nor talked with Jim.

15. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

Slickhead makes a good point in that the time for bashing Mr Zumbo is long gone and the shooting family would do well to watch our comments about him in the public forums. The reason I say guard you comments is related to how the piece of $hit newpaper here in town portrayed the shooting communities reactions to Zumbo's articles as "akin to a rabid dog attacking one of their own". Not exactly the kind of press we need in our efforts to protect our rights.

Can he "put the baby back" of course not, but when was the last time beating a dead horse did anygood toward getting him back on his feet? I suggest best we take a Show Me attitude toward the words and actions of Mr. Zumbo. If he does good toward repairing any "damage" done by his thoughts that ended up in print, who cares what his motivation for doing so is.

In closing, which one of us here would want all of our thoughts (public or private) published for everyone to see... As said, let's let the Zumbo incident go to a long overdue rest and observe what he does from here on. For those who refuse to "forgive him", the thing to remember is that the person who needs the forgivenesss usually doesn't care if he receives it or not...

16. Doctor_Chicago

Doctor_Chicago Member

Another good letter in hopfully a long line that will be necessary to help offset his blunder.

17. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Read this. Then you will know where the smell is coming from!

[Congressional Record: March 20, 2007 (Senate)]
    [Page S3347-S3348]

From the Congressional Record Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
    [DOCID:cr20mr07-117]

ASSAULT WEAPONS

Mr. LEVIN. Mr. President, the National Rifle Association leadership
    has stated repeatedly that a ban on assault weapons is ineffective and
    unnecessary. They assert that guns labeled as assault weapons are
    rarely used in violent crimes and that most people use them for
    hunting. However, despite these repeated assertions, the list of

[[Page S3348]]

people speaking out against assault weapons continues to grow.
    Jim Zumbo, an outdoors entrepreneur who lives in a log cabin near
    Yellowstone National Park, has spent much of his life writing for
    prominent outdoor magazines, delivering lectures across the country and
    who starred in a highly rated TV show about big-game hunting. Jim has
    been an NRA member for 40 years, and, according to his Web site, has
    appeared with NRA officials in 70 cities across the country. This
    relationship changed drastically when Jim expressed his commonsense
    opinion on assault weapons.

Last month, after learning that some hunters were using assault
    weapons to hunt prairie dogs, Jim expressed his thoughts in his
    personal blog on the Outdoor Life magazine website. He wrote:

Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these
    weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to
    call them ``terrorist rifles.'

He continued by stating that in his:

. . . humble opinion, these things have no place in
    hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people
    who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious
    concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that
    hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of
    our ``sporting firearms.'

The reaction from NRA officials was swift and callous. They
    immediately severed all ties with Mr. Zumbo. His TV program on the
    Outdoor Channel was canceled, and his longtime career with Outdoor Life
    magazine ended. In addition, many of his corporate ties to the biggest
    names in gun making, such as Remington Arms Co., were terminated.
    Jim Zumbo has worked for years to improve the image of outdoorsmen.
    As he put it:

As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the
    woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public,
    an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce
    ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them
    from the prairies and woods.

We all owe Jim Zumbo a debt of gratitude for his forthrightness, his
    honesty and his courage. We must put the safety of our communities
    first by taking up and passing sensible gun legislation that includes
    renewing the assault weapons ban.

18. Brian in Oregon

THAT is why we must not let up pressure on Zumbo until he has CoMPLETELY redeemed himself. His words are going to be used by the anti's over and over and over ad nauseum, and Zumbo MUST refute them every time they appear. It must become a neverending crusade of his. And if we have to keep "bashing" him to make sure he stays on task until the day the anti's give up, so be it.

19. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

doggai; Why do you even bother to post anything? You delete after 2 hours!

20. samme_no2

samme_no2 Member

Forgiving comes easy, It's the forgetting that is the hardest. I believe that he is headed in the right direction. Lets encourage him to continue. Harry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.