1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FYI Current component pricing

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pugs, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pugs

Pugs TS Member

Current pricing from my shotshell reloading source for the components I use:

RED DOT: $52.95/4 lbs. $91.00/8 lbs.
    CB1118 AA repl Wads: $16.95/1k $71.50/5k
    Eagle Shot 7 1/2 or 8: $36.50/25lbs.
    Win. Primers: $29.50/1k $145.00/5k

I'm getting low on powder from shooting Winter leagues. This supplier sometimes has better prices if I buy at large shoots he attends. What do you think? Buy or sit tight until Spring?

Thanks

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

sparrow: It seems that in this case the cost factor is one large reason you reload. That is true for most shooters to include me. However, I am one who believes that reloading is a part of my shooting experience and I have great satisfaction in knowing that I can produce a load to suit my needs. Now, if you want to save a few $$ I would do the following. I would purchase components in larger quantities. (Split them with a fellow shooter if you want) I would substitute the Red Dot powder with Alliant "Promo" powder. This powder is made by the same company as Red Dot, (Alliant) and gives the same performance. I would use Fiocchi primers instead of Winchester. Buy the powder in 8# kegs and the primers in 5000 quantities. This will save you a few $$. As far as shot, I would tend to hold off until Spring. It's a crap shoot, but I don't feel shot will raise anymore than it has already. Once the inventory of "high priced" shot is depleted; I feel you will see some drop in price. Hope this helps. Just my $.02 worth. Ed

3. Pugs

Pugs TS Member

Thanks esox.. I too like my own loads even compared to factory. I usually do buy in 5000 quantities but there is something about $36.00 shot that causes me to pause..I'm used to about half (or less) than that.

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

With the cost of energy the way it is; we will be forced to accept higher prices on anything we purchase. Will we ever see $20 shot again?? I think not. Will we see $30 shot again?? I think it's realistic within the next few months. However that is direct from my crystal ball and you can count on this information being a very definite "maybe". Ha. Seriously, I would buy primers, powder and wads now. As far as purchasing shot; I would wait. Good Luck. Ed

5. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Sparrow, 36.00 is a lot better than $42.00 for eagle in WNY.

Tom R.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.