1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fuzzy Math on New Shells at the Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pheasantmaster, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Ok now from that extra $4 per box figure that at your local gun club most reloaders will pay .04 per hull if STS and we get alittle cheaper yet.

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Rev, your math is a little fuzzy to me.......how you going to shoot a 200 bird event with 100 shells?

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It's the new math. HMB

4. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I have my STS shells sold for 5 cents each already. That's $1.25 a box for MT's The man said he would take all I will bring home.

5. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Good catch Hunter but it's still 16 bucks a hundred more. The Grand is 1200 program targets (I think) so:

$16 X 12 = $192

Not really that much for anybody that shoots any amount of trap. It's an expensive game already, we all know that. Pretty much any weekend of shooting is going to set you back a couple hundred.

Plus, very few people are actually reloading for $3.25/box (many on here who are freaking out about having to shoot new shells and saying they do are lying) so the difference is even less.

Plus plus, you can sell the empties if you want.

Good thread Rev.

6. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Here's my fuzz..... Last year at the GRAND I bought 10 flats of STS for $72 a flat.

I got $100 cash back (on five of them) less than 100 yards from the Shell House, so I spent a total of 620.00+ tax.

GROSS cost of $6.20 a box and I have 2500 hulls to add to my loading rotation. (Value $125 at $.05 each)

So.... I look at that as a NET cost of $495.00 spent or $4.95 per box for the BRAND NEW PREMIUM SHELLS we shot at the GRAND last year.

I am guessing we won't have the rebate this year, but if the costs are anywhere close to last year this is not nearly the big FN mess that everyone on here has their hinies in a bind over.

My reloads are in the $3.75 (1 oz) to $4.10 (1-1/8 oz) a box.

SW

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

SW

We are dealing with a mentality that would rather go to Wally World to save $3 a flat than support a vendor like Gamaliel.

I shamed one guy into buying his shells at the Shell House and resorted to greed in the end. If you bought shells from the Shell House you entered a draw for a pallet of shells - I think it was one entry per 4 or 5 boxes. Of course, the fact I had the transportation and he did not helped too! LOL

Don Verna

8. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Not to mention that you've always had to shoot new shells at the Grand anyway, except for the last 4 years, and people are acting like it's this whole new idea that is being forced down their throat.

I'm friends with and really respect some of the anti-new shell guys though (Hi Ron Cox) so I totally respect their feelings. Everyone has a right to an opinion.

I think that there may be a little knee jerk reaction against the idea though.

9. Don S

Don S Member

Some thoughts:

Attendance was going down while we were using new shells.
    Attendance is still going down with reloads.

I'm betting the new shells at the Grand will cost $9 - $10 a box including tax. Yes, rebates are possible.

I have not paid anything for new hulls in the last 10 years. Our local club encourages us to pick them up. There is no market for empty hulls.

I thought the Grand was supposed to be a break even venture.

The components are made by the same companies that make the shells. I don't think they need a voice in this argument.

How about Gamaliel? If the ATA sells the shells, what happens to their sales?

10. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Theres lots that we dont know about the use of new shells at this years grand. I do have a few questions though. Is there any contractural proceedings about the ata sale of shells with the state of illinois. will a foid be required to purchase shells. how will the ata selling all shells to be used at the grand effect surrounding businesses such as gamalliel, or walley world? These businesses most likely have made plans in their annual budget for these sales, and to not have them may adversely effect them. If they took a loss by having excessive inventory in stock preparing for the grand, would they be willing to order enough shells to have in stock for next years grand providing that this is a one year only thing? The use of ata only shells could have a much more far ranging effect on our shooting at the grand than might be realized.

Bob W

11. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

It's not about the amount of money, but if anyone thinks they'll be paying $7.50 a box for shells, getting a factory rebate, and then selling the hulls, they're fooling themselves. Like Don S said, expect to pay between $9 to $10 a box for shells that are marked "2010 Grand American".

What the arguement is about, and it's a deeper rooted issue, is that the Grand, and our sport in general, is on the decline. Now, to show you how out of touch the ATA is with the economic situation many of its shooters find themselves in, they're going to charge eveyone $12 to $16 extra per 100 targets at the Grand because they're worried about a cheater winning that $100,000. And we all know damn well that if someone wants to cheat, they're going to. I've heard more than once of the tricks people used to play at Vandalia. Save your hulls from an earlier event, go back the RV where your reloader is waiting and "presto!", you've got a handicap shells that have a little over 1 1/8 oz of #7 in them and are pushing 1300 fps. Now, you can debate how much if any advantage that guy has, but he cheated and got away with it, and new shells didn't stop it.

12. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Don S, you're on the right track, but unless shell prices overall come down before the Grand, you won't be able to buy them there, from the ATA, for $9-10/box. Premium shells are nearly $8/box at Walmart now, more at Dick's, etc. The last time the ATA required new shells, they sold them for 50% over market price. FIFTY percent.

EE

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Maybe we too can garner some stimulus money from the Fed's to support our hobby!? Maybe that's the direction our EC should go.

2010 Grand prices will be:

$35.00 per 100 targets.

$40.00 per 100 shells.

These estimates are most likely on the low side.

Curt

14. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

$150 for a 200 bird singles event? That'll pack the shooters in.

The ATA is worried about a cheater with illegal reloads winning that $100,000? I'd be more worried about the sandbagger who's going to spend this spring and summer making sure he's on the 20 yard line by the time mid August arrives.

15. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Slick, shhhh. Don't give away my secret....

EE

16. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

The fuzzy math question is no longer relevant.

All freaked out for nothing.

YYYYAAAAWWWWNNNNN.

17. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

daddiooo, for all you know if it hadn't been for people freaking out here, the vote might have been for factory shells in every event rather than just the handicap events.

18. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Slick, exactly right.

EE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.