1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Future of Wisconsin state shooting site

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by maka, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maka

maka Member

Does anyone have any news if the WTA is still planning to move to Rome WI. Has There been any progress on developing the Rome site?

2. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

We own the property and working on the plans. Trying to fine tune things before construction starts. We are looking at having the 2013 State Shoot at the new Homegrounds

3. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

In what part of the state is Rome located? It sounds like a great place to shoot.
    I know that the Wisconsin state Sporting Clays shoot is always a classic.

4. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

A little south of Stevens Point.

5. shooter99

The Town of Rome is just south of Wisconsin Rapids a few miles.

6. JOHN DUNN

JOHN DUNN TS Member

Is there any plans to build a sporting clays course and a skeet range at
    the future state trapshooting site?
    John Dunn

7. shooter99

We do have an area that we plan on Sporting Clays as well as Skeet and possible Bunker. These will not happen right away but hopfully in the near future. Cost is always in front of all projects.

8. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

The WTA needs to consider building the Bunker facilities ASAP.
    There is nothing available in the north, and this would generate both interest and income for the new facility.

Let's face it, skeet is going nowhere in Wisconsin, and there are plenty of Sporting establishments already ..... lets think a little out of the3 box on this one.

Mike

9. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Mike,

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I brought this up to several prominent WTA members recently and unfortunately they didn't seem to understand my point.

I feel our homegrounds needs to be active 365 days a year (well almost) to be cash-flow positive.

I think that 24-28 traps, Sporties and a bunker would draw much more traffic and if you had two bunkers you could hold some major tournaments.

We have been driving to St Louis to shoot the bunker (7 hours) and the drive gets old.

My son shot 3,000 less registered birds this year because of his interest in Olympic Trap. If there was a bunker at Rome, we would probably go twice a month and keep the $$ in Wisconsin.

SW

10. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Help me out here gentlemen.

When I google Rome, WI, I find it south of I94 about half way between Madison and Milwaukee. Are there two Romes in Wisconsin?

Thank you.

Bob (MN)

11. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

Yes there is, the one you want is the Township of Rome north of the Dells and south of WI Rapids. Should be info on the WTA website. I've driven through the area after shooting at Heart of WI club, It should turn out to be a good facility. J. Terre

12. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

Add me to the list of those that would like to see one or two bunkers. As Mike and SW point out, there aren't any bunkers in the north midwest. There seems to be a growing interest in Olympic/International Trap, especially with young shooters. Bunkers would set the state shooting site apart from all other sites in Wisconsin; making it more of an attraction than the other sites with the standard fare of games offered.

Brad

13. Donm

Donm Active Member

Bunkers are very expensive, like 5 times the cost of a regular trap field. So all we need is to have some generous shooters step up and donate some $ and we could put in one or two. Well guys? Or even if you would donate a regular field it would make it alot easier for the WTA to put in a bunker. The regular fields need to go in first. First we heard you can't aford it now we should build more things into it. Which is it? So far I believe we have 10 fields donated. You could get afew friends together and pool your bucks and help out. What do you say?

14. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I can only hope that the members of the WTA are learning from others very close by. The Michigan homegrounds are a FANTASTIC facility. HOWEVER it has DEBT comming out of its A$$. I have said this before my guess is Wisconsin will NEVER have a facility as good as Michigan....or have anywhere near the scheduled shoots that Michigan has [at least in the begining]. SO WHAT IS THE PLAN???? What is Wisconsin going to do DIFFERENT!!!! If this facility that Wisconsin plans to build comes out with any type of DEBT after construction it will be DOOMED TO FAIL!!!!!! Go ahead flame away but the truth hurts sometimes.

GS

15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I think the only reason this facility is going ahead is because of the very generous gift of Ray Moser. Whatever funds that are needed over and above the trap facilities that those funds do not cover, are going to have to come from the WTA, maybe the ATA, and the shooters that support it. Donations I am sure will be accepted.

16. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Why can't they move the Wisconsin home grounds to Vandalia, where they belong? It never gets hot there, it has unlimited free beer, and the cops have wooden legs.

17. Donm

Donm Active Member

Ladies man. Your friend is dead wrong. Wis. Rapids is only 10 miles away. They have plenty of rooms. There are 10 hotels within 10 miles. Your friend don't have a clue what he is talking about. Lake Wisconsin is not close. I would say it is about 50 miles. Next time you decide to spread a bunch of BS check your facts.

18. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

I wish the WTA well in it's developement of the new home grounds. To those who want bunker and sporting lets wait until the WTA has some trap fields built. Skeet is a non entity; not ennough people in Wis shoot skeet anymore to justify a field

19. War Wagon

War Wagon Member

Ladies and Gentelmen Lets think positive for once. They sky is not falling.

20. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

Don,

I wish that I was in a financial state that would allow me to "donate" a trap.
    This is just not the case. I would have no problem paying additional fees or dues to help support the new grounds.

I was just stating that WI should give serious thought to adding bunker trap after the standard traps are installed. They would have a monopoly for bunker facilities in the north.

None of this is going to happen right away .... I think that everyone realizes that fact.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.