1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

furnace blower trouble

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Basfshmn, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

I was wondering if there was anyone that knows about furnace blowers. My blower quit working yesterday and I don't know if its the motor or the capacitor. The fan spins freely, and the motor doesn't get hot when I put the the thermastat in the on position instead of auto. the dang thing just sits there doing nothing. The breaker in the box is still on so it didn't blow a breaker. I appreciate all the help. Thanks Rick

2. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Basfshmn - I just had to replace my blower motor about two weeks ago. It would turn freely until it was on a few minutes, and then lock up. My repair man had a new motor installed in about three hours. I was surprised, but he carried universal motors in the truck that he could just bolt right in. Total cost was about $450.00, and I was happy to pay it with the temperatures above 100 degrees in Kansas.

3. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

It sounds like maybe no voltage on the cooling side, here is a good way to figure TURN THE HEAT on and see if the motor works for that it it does now you know the motor is good ( yes could have a bad speed but)there is generally a fan relay that is normally dormant until a call for cooling.
    Jim

4. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

Thanks Unsingle I might have to resort to that, but i'm kinda a fixit myself kinda guy and i would like to try it. I may have to resort to calling someone. Thank You.

Jim, Thanks for your responce, I turned the thermastat to heat and ran the furnace the blower motor never came on. LOL, mama didn't like me turning the furnance on in this heat. I have an old belt driven housing and motor slid in the furnace and plugged into the wall so i have air conditioning in the house.
    Would ya think the motor is bad?

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

If you are a do it yourself guy, look for a replacement motor. They are standard frame sizes. I changed one about 6 yrs ago. Cost me $60. Dealer wanted $200 for GE replacement motor in the box..

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

How many wires come out of the motor (really - how many speeds is it??)?

Typically the capacitor is a running one, not just a starting one. Most parts places will only want to sell the whole package, not just a capacitor.

You can direct wire the motor by selecting the correct wire pair (should be a wiring diagram on the outside or just on the inside of the junction box of the moto) and plugging it into the wall - be careful.

You should also probe the wires feeding the motor from the unit to be sure power is flowing to drive the motor.

For what they cost you are probably best picking up the whole unit...

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

If the motor has standard wiring, the White is common, Red is low, Yellow med low, Blue med high and Black is high, and the two brown wires go to the run capacitor. They generally run in high speed for cooling, so just rig up a plug for white and black, plug it in and see if it runs, but tape off the other leads, it they touch anything you will let the magic smoke out of the motor

If you have an ohm meter, you can unplug the run cap, short it out with a screw driver, then set the ohm meter on the highest reading, and touch a lead to each terminal on the run cap, if the cap is good, the meter reading will go from low to infinity real fast, if it reads nothing the cap is open, if it reads zero the cap is shorted

If the cap is bloated or swollen up at all it's bad. We are having an unusual amount of bad run caps lately, because most of them come from China or Mexico. I've change more caps in the last two years that I have in the prior 35 years

There's a place on line called HVAC parts that you can buy a motor from

Or if there's a Johnstone supply in your area they will generally sell to anyone

If the motor runs then you have a bad relay or circuit board

What the brand and model number?

8. hfrogdogc

hfrogdogc Member

Go on E Bay type in furnace blower motor, then type in your motor # you will find they are alot cheaper. It will come direct from a factory or ware house. Henry

9. Catpower

Be in the business and get them alot cheaper than ebay

10. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

Thanks everyone for the help.

Catpower: I have three wires running from the furnace to the motor. They are Red,Black,White. The wires coming from the motor are Black,White,White with blue markings on it. There is a White with Red markings coming off the motor that is capped off, not connected to anything. The White with Blue markings was connected to the Red wire from the furnace, The black to Black, and the White to white. The brown wires connected to the capacitor. Its a Rheem oil furnace, Model #ROB B-095C. Thank You Rick

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If the motor is free, try the capacitor first

12. Catpower

Okay it's a three speed, what I wrote was for a four speed, hook a plug on the white and black, that's the high speed if all is good it should run, if you don't have an ohm meter to test the run cap, you might want to just buy one they're only a couple of bucks, and as I said before we're running into bad run caps all the time now days

But if the motor wasn't warm when you were working on it before, it's probably the fan relay or circuit board, if it has a circuit board, and you are able to do it, look at the back side of it a lot of times the solder on the board will get hot and melt, you can resolder it with some rosin core solder, or use flux just becareful not to use too much, it might get where you don't want it

13. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

Thank You so much, yes, i have a ohm meter so I will check the cap. I have the housing out so it going to be easy to hook a plug to it. I'll do that first, then I'll check the cap. I'll let ya know what the results were. Rick

14. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

I just got done with everything you told me, I hooked a plug on it and plugged it into the wall and nothing happened ,it didn't start running. I took the cap off and took a screw driver and touched both poles at the same time, nothing happened. I don't know what i expected to happen but it did'nt spark or anything. I put my ohm meter on it and the needle went all the way over, so i guess the cap is ok and motor is bad. I have a Johnstone Supply about 10 miles from me, i'll take my motor with me and head there tomorrow.

I want to THANK EVERYONE that helped me on this issue. Rick

15. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

Everything is up and running, It cost me 40.00 dollars and a hours work. I want to thank EVERYONE again. Rick

16. Catpower

Glad you got it running, there sure are alot of Ricks on this board, that's my name too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

high speed blower quit working rheem oil furnace