1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Funny Things That Happen at the Trap Field

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by fssberson, Apr 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

So what are the funniest things that you have seen happen at the trap field. One comes to mind. A rattlesnake had gotten into one of the trap houses and sure enough one of the guys went down to load the trap machine. Never seen a fat old man come out of a trap house so fast!! He was shot out of a cannon... just straight out like a target. He has never gone down to reload a machine again. Fred

2. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

We travel to the Watauga GC in Boone every year for their registered shoots. It's a beautiful 4 trap club nestled between a trout stream and a mountain.

Normally folks get their early to get signed up and to shoot a practice round or two.

One of our non resident (now lives in Bedford PA) jokers slipped out and turned the cvr's off on our x-president Jimmy Wilson. As he put his gun up to call pull, Dan would turn the cvr off. Jim moved the mic and called pull and a bird came out. He mounted his gun and Dan turned it off again.

For those of you that know Jim, you know that he is a big fellow and could probably mash the air out of most people.

Once he figured out what was going and the look on his face was priceless. Of course a small crowd laughing and clapping didn't help much either:)

38-01615

PS - Dan did the same thing to me also!

3. hoser

hoser Member

There was a fellow that would attend our meat shoots and would always sign up to shoot against the younger kids and always beat them for the turkey or bacon with his Perazzi XKE-3000 using STS Nitros loaded with 1 1/2 oz of nickel plated shot, etc......

Wellll......I'll be danged if we didn't have CVR problems with whatever post he was shooting from the rest of the day. It was quite funny. I don't know if he ever caught on, but he did leave in a spray of gravel.

Haven't seen him around lately either, but there is a fancy Perazzi for sale at the local shop now.

Hosé

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

A fellow shooter produced some "Voodoo Dolls" during a 50 bird event at one of the local clubs a few years ago. We all got a good laugh out of it and still reference that day.

ec90t

5. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

I was sitting in a golf cart at Linn Creek, watching Leo shoot when I heard someone's cart horn blasting away....I commented on how rude that was to those shooting when I realized it was MY cart's horn! The button was on the floor and I had accidentialy stepped on it.

6. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Hows the snake doing. I hope he was not to scared.

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

I'm sorry I just have to ask for a clarification Mrs Trapwife ... blonde?

8. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

A couple summers ago our club had 4 traps full of shooters when a deer and her fawns leisurely strolled about two hundres yards, if not closer, in front of the trapline just eating/looking around. They foraged the whole trapline while all were shooting then they just as casually walked into the woods. They acted like there was not a soul on the club's grounds.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Unruly: We never did find the snake... it went into a corner behind the trap machinery. We checked for weeks and did not find the snake or its skelton, BUT 10 years later when ever I go into that trap house I always make a lot of noise and look real careful. Fred

10. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

If any of you don't want to have snakes in your trap houses put moth balls in the houses. The snakes do not like them because of the smell and they will stay away.

11. mredburn

mredburn TS Member

We dedicated our newly built bathrooms as the *** ***** memorial bathrooms, had a plaque made up and dedicated them at a winter chain shoot dedicated also in the gentlemens hoor. He was amused his wife was not. Mounted the plaque between the entrance doors for all to see. Put aup a notice on the score board to make sure all shooters congragulated him on having a bathroom dedicated in his honor. Mike

12. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Was shooting at the club in a 50 bird non register shoot and this fellow who is full of himself had his big 10 gallon hat blow off. It was sailing across by the trap houses and he was hollering for someone to stop it. So I did, I shot it. He wasn't very happy about it at first but was a good sport after all the ribbing. FD

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

At our collegiate shoot a few weeks ago, we had some fellow's young black lab pup get all stirred up about all the gunfire, and he took off across the trap line, between where the targets land and the trees where our sporting clays course is laid out.

Don't know what was funnier...the dog scampering as if it was running from a bear, or all the trap boys running after it, trying to corner it.

We stopped shooting for about 10 minutes, after which time the dog was long gone.

14. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Well years ago we used to go to a 1 trap club and shoot all night saturday and the trap boys would never come out of the house at all until calcutta time which was about 2 to 3 hours later this was back in the hand loader days and trap cords for pulling.

Well I always wondered what he done when he had to go and use the john well I have seen it on a few occasions that a target box would come flying out for no reason at all but found out later it contained something that stunk.

I guess they was pretty talantent because they wouldn't miss a beat as far as loading the bird.

Foghorn

15. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

My older cousin Kenny and I started shooting trap at local "meat" shoots years ago, I couldn't afford to shoot new shells back then so I scrounged all the empties I could find with little regard for brand.

I borrowed an old Texan loader to load my shells, and my cousin had a nice new Mec at that time. The Texan didn't always meter the powder very well and I would have some soft loads from time to time. My dear cousin liked to point out the obvious superiority of his Mec loader and why didn't I just buy one as well.

One day, I was thinking how I might give him a little humbling.....I had an old can of Black Powder from my teenage model rocketry days. I did a little reading and determined that you couldn't put enough Black Powder in a shotgun shell to do any harm to the gun....so, you know the rest of the story...I packed them as full as I could get and added just enough shot with no wad at all, so he wouldn't detect the weight difference.

I casually slipped 4 or 5 of them into his shell bag as we stood around the old Mud Run Gun Club warming our hands. Sure enough about his third target out, ka-flooooom, smoke, sparks, smoke and more sparks and fire on the ground.

Now today everyone would know what happened....but back then (1975)muzzleloaders were only in museums and old movies and he had probably never even seen one. He took the shell out of his gun and looked and looked and said "I never had that happen before!!!"....I calmly asked him if he loaded that one with his Mec. Nobody else let on either...

Completely ruined his day....just about the time he started to build his confidence in the next 10 bird event, he would get hold of another....ka-floooooom

By the end of the day, tears were running down my face from laughing so hard, and he caught on to me.....he still didn't know what I did, but he knew I was the culprit. I thought he might kill me.

By the way, my cousin is still the most talented natural ability shooter I have ever seen, bar none, but I could never keep him interested in organized trap, I think he got bored with the repetitiveness of it all. I witnessed a 450 yard shot on a woodchuck with a .22-250 factory gun and 6-9 scope.....one shot.

We still laugh (both of us) about the Black Powder days....

Bob T.

16. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

Now I have to tell one on myself....

My first year of ATA shooting I shot quite a bit at a club called Fennwood in Bellevue, Ohio. I was familiar enough with shooting trap to know the difference between a broken target and one that just gets "dust".

Well, myself and my buddy Jerry are shooting handicap on the same squad and this 16 or 17 year old girl is hand pulling and scoring as well. I don't think she got much instruction on the difference between "dust" and a visible piece. I missed (or so I thought) early on in the round and this girl never calls lost...I think to myself "Well, maybe she did see a piece of it"...so I keep shooting....soon enough my buddy Jerry misses as well and gets some dust. Now, having had a good look at his target, I know she doesn't understand the difference.

As you might expect, this is weighing on my mind for my next shot and I miss it cleanly....once again she fails to call lost. I stop the squad, suggest to the scorer that I really DID miss that one cleanly and that the wad is not a piece of the target. She readily complies and marks my bird as "lost".....next shooter misses as well and no "lost" call, he keeps his mouth shut and so does my buddy Jerry.

Soon enough it's my turn again....now I'm really wondering what to do...I miss again and she fails to call "lost"....again, I stop the squad and confess my inability to hit the target. She agreeably changes my score to "lost" once more. A few more "generous" calls for the other members of the squad and it's my turn to shoot.

I ask the young girl if she could get Mr. Fenn, the owner, to come to the trap before we proceed. I ask him to review the scoring procedure with her and tell him what I had been observing. Mr. Fenn remains silent on the issue and suggests that I might be happier somewhere else if I didn't like the scoring.

The scorer takes offense to my reporting her performance and tells me to "Shut up or I'm gonna punch you out"

Now, I'm about 6'1, but this formidable rather rotund girl could have easily handled me, so I skunk back to my post and endure the rest of the event.

My buddy Jerry will never let me forget this one, he reminds me at least once every year in front of a bunch of guys, I love it when he tells the story.

.......and I still keep an eye out over my shoulder for the "round" girl from Fennwood.

Bob T.

17. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

At the Grand many years back (FAR too many!) it was one of those blistering hot, dazziling bright, sweaty, and, rare because of NO WIND, days in Vandalia. The scorer/puller (yep, back then it was one and the same person) was a young lady, maybe 16 or so, and she must have been pretty new at the scoring game. Prior to taking the line, I went up to her and explained to her how the game was played. I told her MY job was to put BBs in the air and her job was to put the target where the BBs were. She looked at me all serious and confused and didn't know quite what to say or do. After a five second or so pause, she realized that I was just joking around and she started to laugh like crazy.

Well we took the line with me on Post 1. I checked for "Squad Ready?" and then looked back at her and asked "You remember your job?" She started laughing so hard we had to wait for maybe ten seconds till she got back from being so discombobulated and gave me a BIG smile and nodded. We then went on into "serious mode" and finished the field. I dropped one and coming off the line I told her she did a very good job and the one that was dropped was my fault since I didn't put the BBs where I was supposed to. That brought on another laugh.

Back in those days, before voice pulls, automatic traps and frequent breaks, the puller/scorers and trap loaders were really a hard working bunch of young men and women who earned every penny they made. For all the heat and some of the people they had to put up with, they almost always kept a good attitude and were a very positive group.

18. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

There was a time when a good friend of mine couldn't find his Leather Shell bag when we finished the 16's. It somehow got to the top of the Flagpole.
    The funny one could have been dangerous but two shooters had new guns just alike only one was release trigger. After the first shot they were both standing there with there triggers in there hand wondering what was wrong.

19. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I remember 1 time a friend at the club had just sent off his Perazzi to have it herb orr super choked and he was to get it back the day we sot at the club well there was a couple of his buddy's decided to play a trick on him because he just knew the new super choked gun would just eat the birds up.

Any way they duct taped the insides of the birds I forgot if it was black duct tape or if they painted the bottoms after wards.

Anyway we had an automatic trap that held about 150 targets but they tried to figure out where to place the taped up birds in the target cararousel well the friend was in for a surprise after he was expecting so much he would break the bird and it would go wobbling on down to the ground he really thought that Mr Orr had mess up his barrel.

His expressions was priceless because he thought maybe the point of impact had changed so he was holding higher and then lower on the targets.

Everyone had a big laugh over it.

foghorn

20. roper

roper TS Member

One time I was shooting , don't remember where. This was a pause inbetween two shooters when the guy to the left of me rips a fart,I mean I think he might of shit his pants, setting off the voice release and throwing a bird into the air, we had to stop because we were laughing so hard, I'm laughing as I write this. Fun Times LOL

ROPA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

funny things that happen on the baseball field