1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

fungi identification

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Sep 13, 2012.

1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Anyone care to take a guess at what kind of fungi these are? The one by itself is between 7 and 8 inches across. The others aren't quite that big. I'm not lookin' to eat them. Not all that long ago my yard was dairy cow pasture and these are growing directly atop an underground concrete pipe that once carried irrigation water to this field.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'm not sure..but got me thinking how good they'd be cooked with a deer tenderloin..with my luck they would make my Mr Peepee turn green then fall off right before I started foaming at the mouth on my way to becoming a Zombie..on the bright side ..at least they already make the proper ammo needed to put me out of my misery

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

They are beautiful in a different kind of way.

4. DB3006

DB3006 Member

They look like "Puff Ball" mushrooms to me.

DB3006

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Might be one of these (agaricus). On the other hand it could be one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_phalloides

;-)

My Father-in-low used to pick the "toadstool" style mushrooms all the time. He referred to them as the "little gray ones". Never got to go with him so if it ain't a morel, I ain't touchin' it. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

How about this one?
    setterman_2008_0303183.jpg

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

That one looks like a Muppets character Setterman.

8. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Wou;d help greatly if you included a photo of the underside of one of them!!!! Never have seen a 'puffball' here in North Western Ohio with that sort of breakdown of the outer 'skin' ever ever in my 67 years!!!! Here NW OH there are only a few fall mushrooms that are 100% edible and they are the puff ball which does not have a stem, shaggy mane, sometimes the oyster one shows up,and a couple others whose name escapes me at the moment. If the ones in the photos have a loose 'ring' that is around the stem/stalk it is not edible!!!!!!!!!! Other things to look for are the way the 'gills' attach to the stem and of course the color of the spores etc, etc, etc, etc. Too fricking complicated to get into on this forum for sure!!!

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

It is complicated. The difference between delicious and deadly is very subtle.

10. MIke W.

MIke W. TS Member

Grandad always told us to turn them over and look at the bottom. If there white in color you can eat them. If there dark dont eat them. Always worked for me..

Mike W.

11. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Being the great botanist that I am not, those would more commonly be called toadstools. Further investigation may well reveal a colony of bicephalous toads most notably found in the furthermost southwestern region of the North American hemisphere.

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

If there are any toads around here they are the desiccated variety.

13. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I just snagged "Field book of common mushrooms;: With a key to identification of the gilled mushrooms and directions for cooking those that are edible" on Amazon for two bucks. Now with my two field books (birds and mushrooms)I can identify worthless inedible non-game bird species and poisonous fungi.

14. pvc

pvc TS Member

I have 40 years experience picking and eating mushrooms. You need good mushroom books that identify all the details - cap color,shape stem color, shape, spore print, gills structure, with pictures.
    I have more than ten books. I have identified over 100 mushrooms on my own property, but only about 10 varieties are surely safe to eat. Many are doubtful. Some are poisonous. There are various poisons, but none are deadly unless a large quantity is eaten. Good luck.

15. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

They look like puffballs to me too............,but check the book...

16. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Pick 'em, dry 'em for about three weeks, then roll 'em and smoke 'em.

"Caught up with him about six o'clock the next mornin', naked, singing on the windmill. He said he flew up there."

17. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The book did finally give me a positive ID. I can't remember the name but to my surprise the spores were very green colored and the fungi was quite poisonous. I'm sure glad my dogs don't find them attractive.

18. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

We always called them Puff Balls, because when we came on them in the pasture, we would give them a big kick, and if they were old, they would explode into a cloud of black/green powder.

If they were fresh, we would take them home, and clean them for dinner.

Not much taste except for the additives.

19. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

My understanding of the toxins in the poisonous ones is that it's like drinking ethylene glycol. Slow gruesome death as the irreversible shutdown of organs proceeds.