1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Funeral Gun Model???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Smok'n Joe, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Time to ask the EXPERTS...

I can't find alot of information on what a FUNERAL GUN MODEL is, but apparently Perazzi, Fabbris and other manufacturers have produced shotguns that have a plain black/blue receiver with a gold wire inlay that they refer to as the FUNERAL MODEL...any information would be appreciated.

I'm searching for history on an unfired gun that is about 35 years old. It's stamped ARMI RENATO MENEGAN and appears to be what is referred to as a FUNERAL MODEL. What is the significance of the term FUNERAL MODEL???

smoknjoe_2009_251051.jpg

2. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

The terms goes back to London "best"guns which were usually fully engraved.The "funeral"model was more subdued,plain if you will.The only usual enhancement being the gold wire outline.

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I think it refers to the one you forgot to tell the old lady about and she finds out about it later....

4. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

My worst nightmare is that my wife sells my guns for what I TOLD her I paid for them!

5. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

2@LoWeight...that's interesting and parallels what I've read...the "BEST" reference is particularly interesting. There is not much information available on Armi Renato Menegan other than being imported by ArmSport and a couple Rifle/Shotgun listings that appear in Europe. From what I have been told, the manufacturer passed away shortly after introducing the gun in the USA at about the same time Puccinelli was selling the IAB.

6. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

Smokie Joe........the FUNERAL GUN model is the one that is sold soon after they "tuck yaa away". Wifie sells it to a so called friend that followed the hearse....RUN'EM

7. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Kolarpole...you're pretty close on your assessment...this one came out of an estate and I'm trying to figure out what the heck it is! I'm no expert, but the quality appears to be excellent. I shot the gun a few weeks ago and it crushes targets. It does NOT appear to have been fired prior to that. Looks good, feels terrific and locks up tight as a drum.

It was made in Italy and it's every bit as nice as a Beretta and reminds me of a Comp One. I can't think of anything that compares to it for less than $1,000.

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The dead shooter wants to be buried with his trap gun. You want to keep the gun so you find a funeral gun that looks like his gun and you put it in his casket.

It is some what like you owing money to the deceased and putting a check in the casket as payback. LOL

9. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Auctioneer...It's funny but I just can't imagine why Perazzi would actualy offer for sale a FUNERAL MODEL...hope it doesn't come with "il Malocchio"!!!

10. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

This thread might help

11. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Drew...that thread is EXTREMELY interesting!

It casts an entirely different light on this gun. The receiver is quite elegant with the gold wire inlay and absence of any engraving.

Thank You!

12. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

"The gold border work on an otherwise unadorned side plate and screws must be executed perfectly or it looks terrible and jumps out like a cheap motel neon sign with a bad transformer. I think that Purdeys and others have well understood that for a very long time, and therin lies the appeal to the genuinely astute and discriminating buyer."

13. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

gwii_2008_030324.jpg

I don't know about you, but this is my "FUNERAL GUN"

14. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

15. SB4J

SB4J Member

I always thought "Funeral Model" refered to an unadorned Purdy built to commemorate the death of Queen Victoria or built around the time of the Queens demise.

16. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

I'm going to offer it for sale on behalf of the family. If it doesn't sell
    it's going to find it's way into my safe...right next to my Perazzi, IAB, ZOLI and Beretta. All manufactured in Brescia, Italy.

View attachment 244799

17. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

this just in on a PM:

"-----Menegan was known to manufacture high dollar custom guns. It's a vague thing in my memory, barely there, like black AA shells. But I can't find even a single picture of a Menegan. Maybe Perazzi saw a resemblance in the receiver design, slick black with a gold perimiter as a high dollar casket. Model name creators are Poetic and like double meanings, one obvious and one deeper. The deeper meaning could be the owner of the gun loved it's simple but elegant beauty and still owned it the day he died----"

18. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

"When I hear/see reference to a funeral gun I expect to see: a Brit SxS, sidelock, "name' maker, higher grade gun but with no/very little engraving.
    As better quality Brit sidelocks traditionally had goodly amounts of engraving, the lack of engraving on these guns was UNUSUAL and left a relatively large expanse of vacant, blue emptiness on the sidelocks. This "untoward" unadorned expanse of blue/black finish brought to mind the standard "funeral' colour - hence "funeral gun".

I would not argue with anyone who wanted to include in my definition, a HIGH grade American gun lacking the expected/grade standard engraving that "lettered" as being ordered "funeral". A standard factory production unengraved gun would not be considered a funeral gun, IMHO.

19. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I think if you go back on the magazine Double gun Journal or shooting Sportsman, I don't remember which one but their was a hole article dediacated to the funeral gun. I have the mag. but I'm to dang lazy to look it up.

20. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I disagree with all guesses about unfinished guns and gun being finished in time for bird season. Every funeral style Purdey I have seen has obviously been ordered that way on purpose because the customer likes the "look". The best funeral style Purdey I have ever seen was at the Vintagers and for sale. It was a ten gauge, in astounding condition. The original purchaser-owner of this gun had as many Purdeys as we have egg noodles in our pantry. He ordered it that way because he liked the "look". The 28 gauge Purdey funeral style gun that the poster mentions in the link that Drew Hause posted was also ordered that way. That gun was offered for sale by another British gun company a few years ago on their used gun list. When it sold, many collectors of great guns were headed for the liquor store, including yours truly. I didn't have the money, but I sure would have looked at the gun more closely if I did have the funds available. By the way, popular knowledge states that the British gun companies never advertised these guns using the "funeral" term.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

funeral grade shotgun

funeral gun shotgun
funeral model
funeral model shotgun
puccinelli shotgun

purdey funeral gun

purdy funeral gun
what is a purdy funeral gun